XCL to replace Switchblade?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XCL to replace Switchblade?

Been looking at the Chumba XCL or EVO frame to replace my Titus Switchblade. Can anybody give me idea of how much of an upgrade it would be compared to the Switchblade?
    I've read many of the reviews on the XCL and it sounds pretty sweet. I'm an all-mt/ trail rider that likes technical rocks and roots trails. Also how would the EVO be over the XCL as far as climbing and tech stuff? Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    Been looking at the Chumba XCL or EVO frame to replace my Titus Switchblade. Can anybody give me idea of how much of an upgrade it would be compared to the Switchblade?
    I've read many of the reviews on the XCL and it sounds pretty sweet. I'm an all-mt/ trail rider that likes technical rocks and roots trails. Also how would the EVO be over the XCL as far as climbing and tech stuff? Thx
    The XCL is a GREAT bike. I love mines, and by the end of this week it will have two chainrings and a E-13 chain guide. Pictures to follow promptly.

I'v never ridden the Titus so I couldnt give you a good answer on that one. Although I can say that whatever chubbyness the XCL has it makes up for in strength and stiffness with no flex.

If you plan on doing a lot of climbing the XCL would be for you, as I have one and put it through a serious beating!!! It handles very well and inspires confidence, being a linear travel bike it takes bumps very well while still climbing just as well. To me the XCL would be better on tech stuff than teh EVO only becuase its lighter and easier to move around.

BUT once you wanna go big the EVO would come in. As Chumba has or is working on a freeride kit for it if my memory serves me right. The EVO would be the go to bike for the big hit stuff so to say.. But the XCL is still a very capable bike. You cant go wrong with a Chumba. I definitely plan on making more purchases with them. Give them a call, they are more than helpfull. Both the EVO and XCL climb well just to let you know, but its a given that the lighter (XCL) will climb better.

Speak to the sales manager Jason. 800-706-0760

on a side note my top 5 brands would include Chumba.

1)Foes
    2)Chumba
    3)Yeti
    4)Intense
    5)Turner
    I like rice.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by muddydc
    I think the XCL is enough bike for the riding you briefly described. Travel wise it will be a step up from your Switch (unless you have the long travel version). Handling will be on par if not better....plus it is likely slightly burlier (although I have no empirical evidence to back this up...just a hunch). The Switch is a sweet bike though...ahead of it's time really and it would be hard to consider many bikes an "upgrade". That being said, they no longer make parts for it so if you break something (like a linkage) you'd be screwed.

Unless you're looking to take your riding to the "next" level, I'd take the XCL over the EVO. I've ridden my XCL at Whistler and it felt great. Plus, it is a great deal.

Good luck on your search. Lots of great bikes out there...and the XCL is one of them.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

XCL blew me away

with how capable it was at going down. I went and did a pretty big down hill here in northern california called the entertainer. This is a down hill with 5' and 6' drops and jumps throughout and the craziest rock gardens I've ever been through. Any how, the xcl amazed me. For a "xc bike" I was able to hit stuff with as much confidence as I have with a downhill rig (Santa Cruz v10, and a santa cruz vp-free). I never felt like I was pushing the bike to hard. So if your worried about how it can handle extreme terrain. I'd rest easy that it will do it with ease, and beg for more. This one was set up with a pike, with I think is a great choice of fork for the bike.

Nate

Members who have read this thread: 0