XCL questions- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCL questions

mtbr member

XCL questions

I have owned a medium XCL with an RP23 for about a month and couldn't be happier. It usually takes me about a month to get fully comfortable on a new bike, but even on the first ride, I was easily rolling over obstacles that I never even attempted with the old bike. The XCL has a very neutral, balanced center of gravity, which makes it possible to immediately change direction and avoid trouble, with subtle body movements. My last "trailbike" was a large size 36.5 pound Azonic Saber, that was definately rear biased.
    The real surprise when I got the XCL was the suspension. It's impossible to exaggerate just how controlled the XCL ride quality is. The rear end just digs in and tracks everything on the climbs, and when the going gets VERY slow, the bike easily remains upright, even when it comes to a stop! Just an amazingly balanced bike.
    The descents are a revelation. I can ride much faster than I could on the big bike, and almost instantly carve all over the trail..
    If you are considering purchasing an XCL, hurry up and buy one, you're wasting valuable riding time.

Still fine tuning the suspension and was wondering:

What is the shock stroke?
    How much sag are you running on your RP23?
    How many clicks of rebound?

How much sag on your Pike?
    Compression? Floodgate?

Thanks to everyone on the Chumba forum for helping me decide which bike to buy.

mtbr member
    I don't have a RP23 nor a Pike, but I can tell you that the rear shock stroke is 2". I run about 25% sag on a X-fusion rear shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I havent really paid attention to the sag, maybe I should, but I have the DHX
    with around 190 in the main chamber, and 150 in the boost. (Im 190 lbs)
    IN the Pike I have from what I recall 175 in the pos chamber, and 145 in the neg.
    I've only touched the rebound once, I think its around 2/3, maybe 3/4 way to the
    pos, meaning toward the more rebound. I havent touched the compression or
    floodgate on the Pike. The compression I leave full open. I'm not even sure what
    the floodgate is for, to be honest

mtbr member
    Good that someone asked, I am wondering what kind of settings for my XCL w/RP23 as well

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    I run about 25% sag on a X-fusion rear shock.
    More info, please? Which particular shock? What does it do well, what are its weaknesses? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    More info, please? Which particular shock? What does it do well, what are its weaknesses? Thanks.
    I'm using the X-Fusion 02RC.

It allows me to run lower pressure (~115psi) for my weight (~175lbs) so you would think it would be a little more active. The built in platform is not adjustable, but that doesn't bother me much.

I wouldn't go out on a limb and say it's a fantastic shock - but let's just say I don't really notice it as a problem when I ride - so basically - it just works.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the Hayes Strokers, but that's an entirely different issue.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Floodgate/Compression

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I havent really paid attention to the sag, maybe I should, but I have the DHX
    with around 190 in the main chamber, and 150 in the boost. (Im 190 lbs)
    IN the Pike I have from what I recall 175 in the pos chamber, and 145 in the neg.
    I've only touched the rebound once, I think its around 2/3, maybe 3/4 way to the
    pos, meaning toward the more rebound. I havent touched the compression or
    floodgate on the Pike. The compression I leave full open. I'm not even sure what
    the floodgate is for, to be honest

Couple of things there le buzz, If you run your air the same in both the pos and the neg chamber you'll get a much more plush ride. Your Floodgate is your friend! Think of it as a platform for your fork. I like to run mine till the fork feels locked out when it the locked position and then back it off a couple of turns. Helps reduce brake dive and really makes a huge difference on extended climbs.

the train keeps rollin
    MD, you should be telling these guys on how much sag to run, you've been slaying it on your XCL, first one to the bottom on all the gnar gnar DH runs!
    beaver hunt

Members who have read this thread: 0