XCL Question, is it right for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XCL Question, is it right for me?

Ok so I've been lusting after a XCL for a few months. I've put together the cash required to basically build my dream bike.

So now that I've sold off most of my "extra" bike parts, and other stuff its time for the winter project. A Metallic Raspberry Large XCL, or so I'm thinking. Now that its time to lay down the cash I find myself with cold feet.

The type of riding I do is primarly trail riding with riders that are a whole heck of alot better than I am, but I'm slowly reeling them in speedwise. I ride right now more of a xc bike (salsa dos niner) but there are things I dont like about it and want something back in the 26" world.

After trail riding I run xc races here in the south east which is alot of tight twisty rocky single tracks with good climbs and fun descents. I'm hoping I can get the XCL in the 28# range, so what do you think, give a first time chumba guy a little bit of advise!

Thanks all!

Jeff

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by monty797
    I'm hoping I can get the XCL in the 28# range, so what do you think, give a first time chumba guy a little bit of advise!

Thanks all!

Jeff
    Jeff

There are several XCL's on this forum built up at 28 lbs. I have my XCL built in the 32 lb neighborhood, but it's got a super burly build.

It's a killer bike.

Check your PM's.

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Reply sent, you've gotten my interest!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The XCL is a do everything kind of bike. If youre mainly an xc guy and into
    racing, there are faster bikes out there. I switched from a purely xc bike to this bike for the pure fun factor and have no regrets. Im not doing rolling singletrack
    as fast as I did on my previous bike, but this is all around a much better bike.
    I can take it pretty much anywhere and know that the limiting factor will be me,
    not the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    First off welcome to the world of Chumba.

Jason and Alan know me very well for bother them constantly... just for fun! (sorry guys)
    they will talk you into an XCL and tell you how great it is. Why? well simply put they are very confident in their bikes as am I.

One thing for sure is that its not a light bike by any means in terms of XC. BUT what you get with the extra weight is piece of mind knowing you have a frame that wont break. I was considering a Yeti 575 for a long time and it IS a great bike- but no where near the confidence I have in my XCL in terms of strength. But weight wise the Yeti will walk circles around it

Neil at Adrenaline bikes built his down to 27lbs. But it did cost a lot. I may be biased, but when it comes to confidence I want a Chumba, but for saving weight it would definitely be the Yeti. I'm not a weight weenie though so its all good. My bike came in at 34lbs. The other thing is that some people have had shifting problems with the front derailer, my fix to this was using a DRS chain guide. E-type der. are a pain to deal with. The XCL is a great bike. Doesnt mean other bikes arent better though thats for sure.

Ask Jason and Alan about me (Mudman) some people have ridden with me and will tell you I do more crashing than I do riding. case and point- the frame has yet to even show a scratch. Oh may I suggest the ano. black finish? its super tough. Ride to the hills my friend.

I like rice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I am not worried about having the "lightest" bike in the crowd, honestly 28-29lbs is more than acceptable. I currently have a Epic that I race on and while it does the racing thing great, it is not quite what I want when NOT racing. I also have a 29'er hardtail that I race on and still just not what I want.

Jason really doesnt have to do anything to sell me on one, as I've decided I already want one, just needed a little tummy rubbing to let me know I made the right choice!

nerfherder
    If you've already got a couple of race bikes then by all means jump to the XCL! This bike rules twisty rocky stuff. As the others have said there are lighter bikes for climbing but as you know they aren't all that fun on the way down. Keep up on the climbs, slaughter 'em on the downhills. =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    some people have complained that the bike is not as "Plush" as their other bikes, but truth be told IMO the Chumba a better use of its travel. To each his own. What it all comes down to is just riding one. Most people that have 5+ inch travel bikes are not even aware of whats its capable of. Just like someone that hates climbing but wants a super light bike that can bomb down hill. Theres always a trade off.
    I like rice.

Members who have read this thread: 0