XCL question- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCL question

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XCL question

I'm been searching for awhile now on this forum but I can't find a definite answer yet. So...the actual frame weight of an '07 medium XCL with an RP23. No guessing now, no bathroom scales, the frame hanging from an accurate digital scale! I know it's going to be somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs.

Do It Yourself
    The RP23 is almost exactly 1/2 pound and the DHX-Air is right at a full pound. So according to geolover, his is 7.5 lbs with DHX-Air which would put it around 7 lbs even with the RP23. That's pretty hefty for a 5" anodized bike with an air shock, not that there's anything wrong with that. That's only one data point though so I look forward to more responses.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wasn't his a large or XL? I'm asking about a medium

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    The RP23 is almost exactly 1/2 pound and the DHX-Air is right at a full pound. So according to geolover, his is 7.5 lbs with DHX-Air which would put it around 7 lbs even with the RP23. That's pretty hefty for a 5" anodized bike with an air shock, not that there's anything wrong with that. That's only one data point though so I look forward to more responses.
    I try not to come across as a gram counter but my 4 inch Turner Flux frame with RP3 is 5.5 and my '07 Santa Cruz SL with RP23 is 5.25. To add a more than a pound and a half to get another inch of travel...well, I'd have to think about what more I'd be gaining in ride quality by building up an XCL

Compulsive Bike Builder

More data points

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I try not to come across as a gram counter but my 4 inch Turner Flux frame with RP3 is 5.5 and my '07 Santa Cruz SL with RP23 is 5.25. To add a more than a pound and a half to get another inch of travel...well, I'd have to think about what more I'd be gaining in ride quality by building up an XCL
    Our small ano with DHX Air wieghed 7.4, our medium ano DHX air weight 7.5

The extra weight is not about just the travel. It is about the kind of riding the frame is made for. Even though there is a 1" difference in travel between the XCL and the two bikes you mention, comparing them is apples to oranges.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

yeah...I hear you about the weight. I have a Santa Cruz Superlight and am a bit of a weight weenie myself. However, after riding stiff bikes like the XCL going downhill on my Superlight just isn't as fun. Getting up is a bit easier, but descending I have to pick lines much more carefully and am unable to accelerate through rough turns. A stiff bike makes it all that much more fun in my opinion...those couple additional pounds aren't just lost they are utilized in very important places.

But Ill hang on to my Superlight for race days.

Apr 2007

Well Said

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by uinta
    yeah...I hear you about the weight. I have a Santa Cruz Superlight and am a bit of a weight weenie myself. However, after riding stiff bikes like the XCL going downhill on my Superlight just isn't as fun. Getting up is a bit easier, but descending I have to pick lines much more carefully and am unable to accelerate through rough turns. A stiff bike makes it all that much more fun in my opinion...those couple additional pounds aren't just lost they are utilized in very important places.

But Ill hang on to my Superlight for race days.

Apr 2007

That sounds like the old XCL.

Is the head tube Butted? That is something you can see from the out side that will tell you if you have the new style or not. It will look like it squishes in in the middle.
    The med should be closer 6lbs frame w/shock. No seat clamp. Let me know what you come up with. You can pm me .

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    Our small ano with DHX Air wieghed 7.4, our medium ano DHX air weight 7.5

The extra weight is not about just the travel. It is about the kind of riding the frame is made for. Even though there is a 1" difference in travel between the XCL and the two bikes you mention, comparing them is apples to oranges.
    Last edited by RacinJason; 05-26-2007 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

So 2007 XCL owners

what's the verdict? 6 lbs is what I'd think a strong 5 inch frame "should" weigh, 7 is getting into much longer travel territory. So far I've heard "should be 6" to "I think it's around 7". Uintah's description of the frame's strong points are the types of XCL owner's comments I like to hear. And I mentioned frame weight with an RP23--is that really well-suited to this frame? That's what I have on my other bikes but their intended use seems to differ from the XCLs. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    what's the verdict? 6 lbs is what I'd think a strong 5 inch frame "should" weigh, 7 is getting into much longer travel territory. So far I've heard "should be 6" to "I think it's around 7". Uintah's description of the frame's strong points are the types of XCL owner's comments I like to hear. And I mentioned frame weight with an RP23--is that really well-suited to this frame? That's what I have on my other bikes but their intended use seems to differ from the XCLs. Thanks.

every actual weight that I have seen comes in at 7.5 no matter what the size. I have a couple Mediums on their way, I will get a photo of one on the digi-scale next week. I would be surprised if they dont weigh 7.5 though.

I am also going to build one up with an RP23 to see how much actual weight is lost and also to see how the ride characteristics change. I have been interested in the potential of running the lighter shock for some time, but haven't heard any first hand experience.

Ill keep you posted on what I find...

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    Is the steer tube Butted? That is something you can see from the out side that will tell you if you have the new style or not. It will look like it squishes in in the middle.
    The med should be closer 6lbs frame w/shock. No seat clamp. Let me know what you come up with. You can pm me .
    Jason
    By "steer tube" do you mean head tube? Is my bike a butted version (pic below):

chumba couch 3sm.JPG
    Extreme stationary biker.

shred my gnar
    man... that ano on your frame is beefy... looks super sharp, too.

btw... my grandma called and wants her sofa pillows back!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    man... that ano on your frame is beefy... looks super sharp, too.

btw... my grandma called and wants her sofa pillows back!
    Dude, those are your grandma's pillows. She makes killer apple pie, btw.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member

Hey xcguy,

I think you should demo one and see for yourself. Call us at 1-800-706-0760.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'm been searching for awhile now on this forum but I can't find a definite answer yet. So...the actual frame weight of an '07 medium XCL with an RP23. No guessing now, no bathroom scales, the frame hanging from an accurate digital scale! I know it's going to be somewhere between 6 and 7 lbs.

I'm waiting for an exact answer too. I'm holding off on an XCL till I find out the weight of a Medium, butted frame w/ shock. Any shock. A picture on a digital scale would be great!
    I plan to race some 24's on it, as well use it for some pretty rough Northeast trails, i.e., rocks, roots, drops, and jumps. The bike is right at the top of the list, and I'll probably go with Chumba, but there's a lot of nice 5-6" bikes right now. I just can't drop $1500 without checking over the spec's of each candidate a few more times. Like I mentioned, The Chumba is at the top.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

OK, holiday's over, get out your digital scale!

And the weight of the medium 2007 butted XCL frame with an RP23 is...............

Compulsive Bike Builder

???

And the weight of the medium 2007 butted XCL frame with an RP23 is...............
    .5 lb less than the frame with a DHX Air, or 7 lbs.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

MK_
    carpe mañana
    You should call up Bitter Brush cycles in Lyons, they sell Chumba. Maybe you'll get a straight answer?

I'm eyeing the XCL as a secondary, lighter duty bike to my 36lb Covert.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Members who have read this thread: 0