XCL needs top or bottom-pull front derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XCL needs top or bottom-pull front derailleur

Also, for those of you who built your XCLs, did you have to get a E-type specific bottom bracket? I see that Cambria shows "68E & 73E for E-type front derailleur also available" for a FSA ISIS bottom bracket.

Cheers,

JT

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

E-type? Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Hobart
    Also, for those of you who built your XCLs, did you have to get a E-type specific bottom bracket? I see that Cambria shows "68E & 73E for E-type front derailleur also available" for a FSA ISIS bottom bracket.

Cheers,

JT

Yes, you do need an E-type Front mech. Not sure if 68E or 73E? I have an XT on mine.

mtbr member
    The XCL has a 73mm bottom bracket shell, so 73E would be the one you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just called Chumba

Found a telephone number on their website; they said that the front der. is a top pull and an E-type specific BB is NOT required.

Just F.Y.l.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobart
    Found a telephone number on their website; they said that the front der. is a top pull and an E-type specific BB is NOT required.

Just F.Y.l.
    Umm.. you ask the folks that own this very bike, they give the correct answer (you know, because they've laid their own hands on it) and you decide you don't want to believe them?

Ok then.. have fun.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    Umm.. you ask the folks that own this very bike, they give the correct answer (you know, because they've laid their own hands on it) and you decide you don't want to believe them?

Ok then.. have fun.

Ease up there Neilster! I screwed things up by not reading his question correctly. He asked if a E-type BOTTOM BRACKET was required, I missed the BB part and just saw "do you need an E-type Derailleur" Damn dyslexia and yes, there really is a dog! No, you do not need a specific BB to run an E-type derailleur, other than the proper sized BB to fit the BB shell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

called Truvativ too, if that's okay

They said that an E-type BB is simply wider; you won't find a 113 mm wide E-type, only a 118mm because you need that extra width for the derailleur bracket. Truvative also told me that my 'old' Stylo Team ISIS crank will work with the 118mm BB.

I do appreciate the advice given here; however I, like anyone else sometimes like to have varying opinions including those from the manufacturers. BTW, I called Truvative BEFORE getting any replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    Ease up there Neilster! I screwed things up by not reading his question correctly. He asked if a E-type BOTTOM BRACKET was required, I missed the BB part and just saw "do you need an E-type Derailleur" Damn dyslexia and yes, there really is a dog! No, you do not need a specific BB to run an E-type derailleur, other than the proper sized BB to fit the BB shell.

Oh damn. I saw e-type and thought the same thing.

Sorry Hobart.. That's what I get for skimming.

Is this thing on?
    Be aware that Race Face Deus system will not work with the E Type system...I went with Truvativ Stylo system with no problems
    [[/B][/FONT]

Members who have read this thread: 0