XCL For my riding style?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XCL For my riding style?

Hi all! I have some questions for you

I found this frame very interesting for me . Not have fashions curves tubes like Nomad. I hate curves tubes on the bikes!

My height is 5.85 (178 cm.) and weight is 240 lbs (110kg). I rode a lot of north shore thinky trails, do some 4' drops, 3-4 meters long jumps, and many many switchbacks. Also my bike must be good on all day riding (50km+) with a lot of steep climbs and scary downnills (i think 130mm of rearl travel is better than 160 in such things).

What size will be good for me? S or M? I find that the S will be OK, because on my bike the top tube is 27.8 and the saddle setup near for edge, 2 cm from centre + i'm using a very short stem.

I want built the ultimate 34 lbs AM bike. The fork in the future will be The Fox Talas 2008 RC2, but if i buy this frame now the fork will be Marzo Z.1 Light ETA 2006

The XCL is working well with DHXA, or not? I read about a lot of problem with Santa Cruz Nomads and Heclers on the middle stroke.

This frame have some small problems? Bearings life, cable routing etc...

Thanks! P.S. Sorry for my language.

nerfherder
    Hi GR_Russia,
    No worries about the language. At least you can communicate in more than one language. I can barely communicate in my native language.

First off, I think a small Chumba would be too small for you. Unless you like your bikes really small. I'm 2 inches shorter than you and find the small XCL a bit cramped. Everybody's different here but this seems like a mismatch.

Also, are you certain about that top tube measurement? Most medium mountain bikes have top tubes around +/- 23 inches, I think.

Other than that, the XCL is a great all rounder and plenty burly for your weight and intended use. But I think the EVO might be a heck of a lot more fun with your style (shore, 4' drops, 3-4m jumps) and still climbable.

Question for you: What are you riding now?

mtbr member
    Yeti AS-X with Marzo Z.1 Light ETA + DHXA, the bike weight is 36 lbs now. It's a very good frame, but the geometry is killing me on the climbs and on the long rides. (66 degree angel on head, and 67 on seat)

I rode the M size AS-X with very short stem and find it very comfortable (19 inch seat tube and 27.8 top tube). I think it feels to me longer because this frame have a 67 degree angel on the seat

I think the XCL would be better for me, because i have a good smooth technique, i want to try 5 inch travel bike and i know my limits. No 7' drops on the flat
    I love XCL also because they have DHXA 5.0 and price for 1400$ The 1700$ is my budget for the frame that i will using for 2-3 years.

The evo is good bike, but i don't like it.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    M size AS-X
    Size M AS-X (at least mine) has a 23 inch / about 584 mm horizontal top tube. I have the seat pretty far forward for better balance on level ground and climbs.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    Yeti AS-X with Marzo Z.1 Light ETA + DHXA, the bike weight is 36 lbs now. It's a very good frame, but the geometry is killing me on the climbs and on the long rides. (66 degree angel on head, and 67 on seat)

I rode the M size AS-X with very short stem and find it very comfortable (19 inch seat tube and 27.8 top tube). I think it feels to me longer because this frame have a 67 degree angel on the seat

I think the XCL would be better for me, because i have a good smooth technique, i want to try 5 inch travel bike and i know my limits. No 7' drops on the flat
    I love XCL also because they have DHXA 5.0 and price for 1400$ The 1700$ is my budget for the frame that i will using for 2-3 years.

The evo is good bike, but i don't like it.
    XCL, then. Make it so.

I think the remaining question is size: Medium or Large. I'd give the guys at Chumba a call, talk to them about what you like, intended use, and get their recommendation on size. I'm pretty sure Small is too small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    XCL, then. Make it so.

I think the remaining question is size: Medium or Large. I'd give the guys at Chumba a call, talk to them about what you like, intended use, and get their recommendation on size. I'm pretty sure Small is too small.
    Wow, thanks pal! I will waiting for your answer!
    P.S. I too think the small is too small
    P.P.S. sorry i did mistake with AS-X It's a 23 inch top tube, just like perttime wrote I use my saddle is established more close to edge, on 2 centimeters from the middle. My hands start to hurt, when I displace a saddle forward.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I believe that OP is measuring from the handlebar to tip of saddle, or actual top tube length including stem and relation of his saddle to seat tube.

I too question the XCL wanting more with only 5". I know they extended it .5" from 4.5" already. Almost make it an EVO light, it is the angles that make them really different.

Rob

mtbr member
    What a max. size rotor you used on the frame? 6 or 7 inches?
    Will be working e-type front del. on new Truvativ cranks with GXP or Howitzer BB?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The standard build kit from Chumba has a 185 mm rotor front, 160 rear. I'm upgrading to 203 front, 185 rear (if the parts ever get here! ).

The standard build also includes a Shimano XT E-type derailleur and FSA Afterburner cranks. The Afterburner works really well.

Members who have read this thread: 0