XCL lateral stiffness vs nomad vs enduro sl- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XCL lateral stiffness vs nomad vs enduro sl

can someone tell how the XCL stacks up against the nomad/blur and the enduro SL in the lateral stiffness department?
    what's the frame weight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by checocc
    what's the frame weight?
    I have a small ano XCL frame, weighed 7.0lb with an RP23 and seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not quite sure XCL-Nomad is a reasonable comparison; Nomad is really more in the Evo niche.

mtbr member
    Hit up scruffylooking - he has both a Nomad and a XCL.

I had an older (2004) Enduro - and the XCL is way stiffer laterally. I'm not sure how the newer Enduros compare.

nerfherder
    Hi. Nomad and XCL is not a valid comparison. The XCL is nimble and efficient for a trailbike but rough compared to the Nomad through the chop. The Nomad is like riding on a cloud. Not saying one's better than the other. Just different tools for different purposes.

If you just want to talk lateral stiffness, fine, I don't feel much difference but I'm a lightweight and not strong at cornering so I'm not sure I'm discerning enough to tell.

mtbr member
    The 2008 EVOs have quad bearings front and rear in the rocker - extremely rigid.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 05-03-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah I have a nomad and an xcl. I think the front triangle on both bikes is super stiff with the xcl slightly stiffer. But the rear is the difference the nomad has a solid rear triangle with vpp and eats up the trail like a mini down hill bike and more travel. The xcl not quite as laterally stiff but the added bonus of the horst links anti brake locking effects. The xcl is a much better all around trail cross country bike and super capable just turn the pro peddal down for long descents. The Nomad is a mini free ride down hill but a little harder to pedal sometimes. Both bikes super fun and highly recomend them both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shwatzu
    Yeah I have a nomad and an xcl. I think the front triangle on both bikes is super stiff with the xcl slightly stiffer. But the rear is the difference the nomad has a solid rear triangle with vpp and eats up the trail like a mini down hill bike and more travel. The xcl not quite as laterally stiff but the added bonus of the horst links anti brake locking effects. The xcl is a much better all around trail cross country bike and super capable just turn the pro peddal down for long descents. The Nomad is a mini free ride down hill but a little harder to pedal sometimes. Both bikes super fun and highly recomend them both.

So, if the vvp rear triangle is that stiff. the new blur lt2 would be like the best of both worlds? nomad stiffness and plushness, and easier to pedal like the xcl or maybe better?

nerfherder
    The BLT2 is supposed to be plusher than the BLT1, which I owned and enjoyed greatly, but I can't imagine the BLT2 being as plush as a Nomad. If you want Nomad plushness you'll have to get a Nomad. They climb great for what they are but the BLT2 and the XCL are going to climb better. Granted, if you're saying it'd be a good compromise, then I wouldn't disagree. All the bikes you're considering are excellent choices and I don't think you can go wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0