XCL frame sizes

Printable View

• 06-11-2007
    Dazed
    XCL frame sizes
    I'm a tad over 5'8" with a 31.5" inseam. I'd normally go for medium right away, but the CXL's high center-top measurement scare me a bit. Im comfortable on my current XC hardtail in Medium (17" C-T) with a 22.8" ETT.

My gut says Small XCL. What do you think? Being in Norway, I don't think test riding one is an option.
  • 06-11-2007
    Strykar
    id still go with a med. it may have rather high numbers, but i think youll feel more comfortable in the long run on a medium.
  • 06-11-2007
    scruffylooking
    Dazed - Nice avatar. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

I think I'd go Medium, too. I just spent a a week+ with a small XCL and it was really great. As much as I loved the bike I do feel like a medium would be a better fit for me. The small felt a little cramped in the cockpit. I had the saddle all the way back on it's rails. I also felt like I could benefit from a longer wheelbase, though the medium is only a half inch longer, I think. That said, I would have no problem living with a small if I ended up with one.
  • 06-11-2007
    xcguy
    How did you wind up with an XCL for a whole week?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Dazed - Nice avatar. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

I think I'd go Medium, too. I just spent a a week+ with a small XCL and it was really great. As much as I loved the bike I do feel like a medium would be a better fit for me. The small felt a little cramped in the cockpit. I had the saddle all the way back on it's rails. I also felt like I could benefit from a longer wheelbase, though the medium is only a half inch longer, I think. That said, I would have no problem living with a small if I ended up with one.

Either a friend has one or your local dealer is very accommodating!:smilewinkgrin:
  • 06-11-2007
    dubjay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xcguy
    Either a friend has one or your local dealer is very accommodating!:smilewinkgrin:

It's nice living only 20 minutes from Chumba HQ :thumbsup:
  • 06-11-2007
    happy_ending
    sorry to thread-jack... but this seems like a good thread to ask...

how do you measure effective-top tube? i was thinking it would be parallel to the ground from mid head tube to wherever that level point (to the ground) would be on the seat post itself!?!?!

help a brother out... THANKS!
  • 06-11-2007
    dubjay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by happy_ending
    sorry to thread-jack... but this seems like a good thread to ask...

how do you measure effective-top tube? i was thinking it would be parallel to the ground from mid head tube to wherever that level point (to the ground) would be on the seat post itself!?!?!

help a brother out... THANKS!

Here's a good diagram explaining how to measure Effective Top Tube:

• 06-11-2007
    happy_ending
    right on... thats basically what i was getting at with...
    Quote:

i was thinking it would be parallel to the ground from mid head tube to wherever that level point (to the ground) would be on the seat post itself!?!?!
    thanks...