XCL Forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCL Forks

mtbr member

XCL Forks

Hey all, so I've gotten some good news. Looks like I'm keeping the XCL yay!

So now that I've kept my job its time to put together a parts list to lighten up the XCL by a bit for racing this spring / summer.

I currently run a SC32 fork, while I like it, I'm not enamored of having to use the Maverick front hub.

So I'm looking at two forks

Manitou Minute MRD 130mm or the Fox F120 and building up a lighter weight wheelset.

Just looking at opinions at this time which you think would be better on the XCL.

Basic riding will be 6/12/24 hour endurance events, some xc racing, and mainly screwing off on the trails while on rides where my buds are "training" hah!

What do you think?

*edit* woops forgot to remove my for sale sig!

bbc
    Bueno!
    Go with the fox 120. The TALAS is really the way to go. 140-120-100 in 3 clicks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    Go with the fox 120. The TALAS is really the way to go. 140-120-100 in 3 clicks.
    Granted the Talas has more options, but really looking for the weight savings of the 120 at this time.

bbc
    Bueno!
    Word.

mtbr member
    Pike.

mtbr member
    Congrats on being able to keep the bike. It would have been a shame to sell it so quickly.

Unfortunately, I have no good fork advice. I have a Talas R 100-120-140 on mine, and I rarely drop the fork, even on the steepest hills around here.

If I had to do it again, and weight was an issue, I'd probably take a look at the Float R (140).

I don't know if I would like the bike at 120, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Dubjay,

I did look at the Float 140. I like the fact that it is pretty simple, still light and the least expensive of all the fox forks.

I'm living the dream!
    FWIW Monty, I've ridden a couple times with my Pike at 120 trying to get an advantage on the hills and I honestly don't like it that low. I don't feel I gain any advantage for the trouble. I've kept it at 140 since probably my 4th or 5th ride and will probably never drop it again.

Congrats on your good turn of events!

mtbr member
    Although I don't have experience with other forks to compare it to, I love my Reba Team 115mm. I am looking to move to a revelation however.
    Let us know what you decide and how you like it.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

nerfherder
    Monty - I have no good recommendations since my shortest fork is also a TALAS 32. Well, maybe I recommend a TALAS then. But congrats on keeping the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Fork travel isn't the only thing to affect bike handling. Your cockpit setup is as (if not more so) important. I have a coil Pike on mine and I must say that on local trails I like the fork at 120mm. The whole bike feels more responsive and nimble than at 140mm. This is, of course, terrain dependant and A to C measurements differ as well. You might be able to save a few grams by having a non-adjustable fork but trust me, on your 20th hour you're going to be sweating/swearing anyway. I'd go for a light adjustable air fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Revelation U-Turn Dual Air 100-130

With a cut steerer mine weighs 3.85 lbs. It's a great fork. Around $450 shipped from a seller I've bought from on flea bay. I also have a Pike on another bike that needs a 5 1/2" fork but it weighs almost a pound more.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I love my Pike 454 Dual Air. I have over a year on it and it is better now than ever.

it's....
    wouldn't pedal smack be a problem with 120?
    I run Pike dual air, and I seem to be smacking my pedals on roots, etc more than my last bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have got the 08 Fox TALAS 140mm on my XCL. I had it for 6 mths now. I prefer the 140mm set-up. I tried riding with the 120mm set-up, the bike just doesn't feel right for me. It feels like my steering input has been amplified (oversensitive). And I don't feel as gutsy as when it's on 140mm mode when i hit the downhill sections fast. On the climbs, if it's a technical, rocky and bumpy climb, the 140mm mode gets me out of trouble with no trouble. But if it's a long, smooth but super-steep climb, the 120mm does help a bit.

The other fork I tried is the Revelation. Sweet damping, but took a while to break in. It's light too and cheaper than the TALAS. But mine doesn't have U-Turn. So it's 130mm permanent. It's a great fork that can do whatever the TALAS can do. Even in steep climbs where potentially there's going to be a bit of front wheel lift with the TALAS at 140mm (I will go to 120mm in this kind of situation usually), with the Revelation I never have such problem. I can't say enough I like that fork. It's reliable and dependable. It's on my IH MK3 now though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am thinking between the Float 140 and probably the pike. Man I really wish the Wotan was lighter what a sexy fork!

mtbr member
    I would use the Manitou Minute MRD 130mm 1500g great for xc racing and 6/12/24 hour endurance events.

Members who have read this thread: 0