XCL fork- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCL fork

WWJR

XCL fork

If you had to choose between the 2, would it be Fox Vanilla RLC or Pike 454? Just wonderin...

nerfherder
    I'd wish I could get an 09 Fox Van RLC with the through axle. But since that's not out yet, I'd go for the Pike. But that's because I like the stiffer front end feel. Nice to have in SoCal rock gardens. Probably wouldn't be as critical if I were building for light weight.

WWJR
    question: wouldnt the Pike have an edge over the Fox Van. due to its adjustability??

nerfherder
    Due to the travel adjustability? Maybe, depends on your terrain. If it's not too hilly or steep you may not even need a travel adjust fork with an XCL. If you have a lot of grinding climbs then it definitely helps. I typically prefer having one for versatility with my local terrain. Granted, I only use it to slam down the front for climbing and then everything else I keep it extended at the max. For what it's worth: I'm currently shopping for an XCL and thinking about the Pike 454 Coil.

That said I'm also riding a Nomad with a fixed 160mm Van 36 and I just got used to climbing on it.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Due to the travel adjustability? Maybe, depends on your terrain. If it's not too hilly or steep you may not even need a travel adjust fork with an XCL.

word
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 02-09-2008 at 06:59 PM.

nerfherder
    Hope it helps. I still want my 09 32 Van.

mtbr member
    Hope it helps. I still want my 09 32 Van.
    I had a similar choice not too long ago, except I went with a Float RLC instead of the pike, I am also building the bike as light as I can.

If I was going for something that I didn't care about my weight too much I'd do the pike, through axle for the win! The pike is an all around great fork though you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use the adjustability on my 454 coil frequently. There are a lot of 1hr+ fire road climbs in my area and for those it is helpful to drop the forks. For any other sort of riding, they are at 140mm.

Never ridden a Fox vanilla, but I'm sold on coil forks. I got my 454 coil after riding another bike with a Talas 32 RLC and the Pike is SO much more enjoyable to ride.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Due to the travel adjustability? Maybe, depends on your terrain. If it's not too hilly or steep you may not even need a travel adjust fork with an XCL. If you have a lot of grinding climbs then it definitely helps. I typically prefer having one for versatility with my local terrain. Granted, I only use it to slam down the front for climbing and then everything else I keep it extended at the max. For what it's worth: I'm currently shopping for an XCL and thinking about the Pike 454 Coil.

That said I'm also riding a Nomad with a fixed 160mm Van 36 and I just got used to climbing on it.
    Just and FYI, my Pike 454 air is every bit as plush as my buddies Pike coil...and lighter.
    "Do not touch the trim"

nerfherder
    Thanks for the FYI. I've heard that. The coil is cheaper though...

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

454 Dual Air

Quote Originally Posted by hullendersauce
    If you had to choose between the 2, would it be Fox Vanilla RLC or Pike 454? Just wonderin...
    My .02 worth. 454 Dual Air. Plush, adjustable, stiff. I've had mine for over a year and it compliments my XCL to a T

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am also looking at the Pike 454 vs the 32 Talas RLC. For those who have ridden both, how is the travel adjustability between these two forks? I've been told the Fox is easier to adjust. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am in the process of building up a Chumba XCL. I know there are weight trade offs as well.

nerfherder
    Fox wins hands down with the travel adjust. It's a lever that travels 90 degrees with three solid feeling detents for each setting: 140, 120, 100. The Pike's uturn requires a lot of winding to adjust the travel in small increments (3mm?).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks. The better question is which has a better feel. I have read a lot about both but have never ridden either. Is there another fork you would consider for the XCL? I think the Talas 36 is going to be too heavy to keep the bike at the weight I want.

yarrrp
    May 2007
    yeah air pike.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmove44
    Thanks. The better question is which has a better feel. I have read a lot about both but have never ridden either. Is there another fork you would consider for the XCL? I think the Talas 36 is going to be too heavy to keep the bike at the weight I want.
    That's probably a better question for the suspension forum. I some TALAS experience but not much on the Pike Coil beyond a handful of rides. I can't really comment because I think I needed the next spring down in the Pike.

WWJR
    personally, im gonna rock the Fox Vanilla RLC. Coil front/Air back, and youknowthatisriice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Since I have been in a risk taking mode lately, I bid on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    Although the seller had no feed back (talked to him on the phone though).

Next risk, Buying a manitou: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/154...rk-'06.htm We'll see how this works out...

nerfherder
    Manipoo! Wow, you like to live dangerously!

What's up with that dual crown fork on the XCL? Bizarre.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have no idea. The seller was nice enough, but I think he was a bit clueless. The bikes set up for mild dh/fr. All I really cared about was the frame and it's prestine. I think all of the components must of came from his previous bike. Yet he said he did a few XC races???

Anyways, if the Nixon doesn't work out, I'll jump on the Pike Air bandwagon.

Members who have read this thread: 0