xcl or evo dilemma- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

xcl or evo dilemma

Im trying to choose btw these 2 frames. My riding is full on AM with as much climbing as
    descending, with some occasional (mostly light) freeride thrown in. Am leaning towards the EVO but am a little worried about what could be an ergonomically awkward seated
    climbing position. I do have a seatpost that can go another 1 - 1 1/2 inches forward on the rails plus a Pike dual AIR (would eventually replace with 160 mm), so I could wind down the fork if necessary. If I am too far back over the rear wheel while climbing steep stuff you
    run the risk of straining your lower back muscles a little. Again, leaning toward the EVO,
    but if this is gonna be a major issue, maybe I should stick with the XCL. Thx

mtbr member
    I've got a 2008 Evo and haven't found any real disadvantages when climbing, which I do mostly while seated and wind down the 160mm Talas to 100mm. I've got a medium Evo frame and I'm 5'10", 195 lbs, and haven't experienced any back strain at all, and I have a sensitive lower back so I'm pretty sensitive to anything that will tweek my back.

Descending has been a real joy and I have to be careful to not go faster than I can handle. The bike is really confidence inspiring descending...read, quick trouble if the rider isn't prepared. The Evo seems to take anything it hits really smoothly when going downhill fast, which I think is one of the real strengths/pleasures of the Evo.

I haven't rode a XCL so can't compare between the two. My Evo build puts it at 33 lbs, and it doesn't feel like a tank at all, though built like one. Photo attached of my Evo and where my seat typically is when I'm climbing while seated.

Good luck with your choice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2004
    I've ridden every Chumba bike in production, and some that aren't in production yet. My two favorites are the F5 and XCL. The new 2 position rocker for the XCL makes it faster than the evo (not as smooth of a ride, though). I like it more than the evo because: lower BB, slacker HA, snappier handling, lighter, lower standover. New rocker on the XCL with a coil shock is money.

mtbr member
    Any details on when the rocker will be available? What will be the 2 positions? 5"&5.5"?

Jul 2004
    yup, they should be available now. call Alan or Jason @ Chumba

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zocalo
    Im trying to choose btw these 2 frames. My riding is full on AM with as much climbing as
    descending, with some occasional (mostly light) freeride thrown in. Am leaning towards the EVO but am a little worried about what could be an ergonomically awkward seated
    climbing position. I do have a seatpost that can go another 1 - 1 1/2 inches forward on the rails plus a Pike dual AIR (would eventually replace with 160 mm), so I could wind down the fork if necessary. If I am too far back over the rear wheel while climbing steep stuff you
    run the risk of straining your lower back muscles a little. Again, leaning toward the EVO,
    but if this is gonna be a major issue, maybe I should stick with the XCL. Thx
    How tall are you - and how would you describe your light freeride?
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0