XCL Early impressioons (kind of long)- Mtbr.com
    Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

XCL Early impressioons (kind of long)

So I've gotten in about three or four rides on my new XCL. I thought I would post my impressions mostly because there are a lot of lurkers (I used to be one) who might be interested. Most of the folks riding XCL's will already know most of this.

Quick background/disclaimer -these are my opinions only - they don't have to be "right", just right for me. I am a 40+ rider who is coming from a strong, no-race XC background. All of my other bikes are very steep geometry 71/73 style rides, or they are off-road tandems (so different in so many ways...). The trails I rode are all Northwest single track: tight, twisty, filled with unexpected slimy roots, short powerful climbs, short ugly decents, and about 20' visibility of trail surface.

Bike setup:
    Med Chumba XCL anodized Grey RP23 (7lbs exact)
    Fox Talas R
    08 XT Cranks, cassette, shifters, derailleurs, and brakes
    thompson stem - 5 degree 100mm
    thompson post
    WTB silverado saddle
    Easton monkeylite Sl bar
    Chumba grips

And the wheels (built by Matt)
    stan's 355 rims on kong blue hubs, matching blue nipples
    Maxxis ignitor's

Total weight 28.3 lbs

Here goes: I bought the XCL with no real test ride and I had some fears about the more slack head angle and the additional weight. I really thought the bike would feel stable but slow, that was my impression of the Yeti 575 I had tested. In fact, I was stunned at how nimble the XCL feels on the trail. I would have sworn that the bike had a much shorter wheel base than my Blur, I could make any turn easily. It really felt quick and responsive. IT WAS FUN! I really felt that I was sitting more "on" the bike than"in" the bike (again compared to the Yeti) this really helped that quick streering.

Weight: my frame was exactly 7 pounds. I threw a little money at it and cam in at just about 28 lbs which was what my Blur was at. No weight gain + a more nimble feeling = WIN!

Climbing: one of the trails starts with a grunting three mile forest road climb. I usually have three goals for this climb (in reverse order): 3) make it to the top. 2) make it to the top without stopping. 1) make it to the top without throwing up. I fully expcected this climb to suck on the XCL, and it did. BUT not more than on my Dean or Blur. In fact I've climbed this road on a hard tail tandem, a full-suspension tandem, a hardtail single, a dean XC race bike, and a Blur. I've determined that this climb can suck on all of them and that perhaps I need to get out more. Actually the XCL did pretty well, just sitdown spin a fairly easy gear and it goes right up the hill. I did lower the front to 100mm (TALAS) and it really helped with my body position. It would still climb ok with more travel, but the adjust is really worth it if you do much of this. Short burst climbs were a blast as soon as I learned not to shift as far up and forward as on XC bikes. Don't stand and just move to the front of the saddle, then the XCL really digs in and zips up the hills no matter what obstacles are there.

Rear Suspension: one of the big reasons I wanted a new bike was that I was tired of the suspension feedpack I felt on the blur: every obstacle I hit under power yanked on my feet though the VPP design. Not so on the XCL, I was cheerfully plowing through the most rooty sections of level and uphill trail with smooth pedeling (as smooth as I get anyway). I don't really like propedal. I don't like the way it reduces small bump sensitivity and the XCL doesn't really bob much anyway.

One thing that is certainly different - I've got new wheels (thanks Matt) that are tubeless and new tires that didn't come off the clearance rack at Performance. These combined with the XCL suspension make a HUGE difference in traction and bump eating. I was really laughing out loud at how well I could roll over almost everything.

On decents the Chumba is great, very stable and smooth. I am still playing with rear pressure in the RP23, but it's going to come out around 145lbs. If you want a quicker XC feeling bike add 10lbs to the shock. I haven't really gotten to do a good fast downhill yet, but I am excited to find one and try it out. The Chumba really does make you look for things to run over or fly off of! Generally if I have two wheels off the ground, I've just crashed. But I found myself looking for those small drops and hits. The bike just wants to sail off of those 1 - 2 foot drops so I need to learn to land...

I did have two problems 1) the drive side lower pivot bolt backed out on me on the second ride causing some play in the rear and a lot of creaking (I used to ride a Blur, I'm used to creaks). 2) (my fault) I left the rear D housing too long and wore off a spot of anodizing on the seat tube.
    I'm still having problems with cables rubbing on the linkage when the suspension compresses. I'm afraid that this will eventually cut through the rear brake hose. Any suggestions?

Great ride so far. I'm moving to Grand Junction, Colorado this summer and I'm already drooling about the riding I get to do on the XCL

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks for the review

I was afraid you were going to tell us you come from a long line of nothing but hardtails and this was your first FS. I can't really read reviews like that but yours was really informative seeing as you have perspective from your Blur.

I almost bought an XCL last year but I didn't. The bike I did buy has a 69 degree headtube angle and so does the XCL at 140mm (right?). My other bikes have a 70 degree HTA and that's what I like. I never thought just a degree slacker would make a bike ride so much differently. So my question is:

Since the XCL is slacker than your Blur or hardtails do you feel the steering is heavy or "choppered out"? I try not to obsess about the weight of my bikes but with a frame weight of 7 lbs I'd have a hard time getting under 29 lbs without breaking my budget. Is your XCL just as quick as your other bikes or quick enough or are you having to trade stability on the trail for quickness? These are the thoughts that go through my mind when I ride the bike I got instead of the XCL and compare the ride to my other bikes.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Welcome to the Chumba Army!

After a year with mine I'm still dialing in the suspension. I did a long grueling ride yesterday with everything including fire roads, streamside and streambed trails, obscenely steep uphills, and sketchy loose downhills. The XCL did well on all of them - the rider was the limiting factor. I think I may be close to dialed in at last.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Another question for both of you

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere on this forum but here goes anyway: I see the recommended fork is 140mm. So 5" in back and 5 1/2" in front. I have a Pike and a Revelation ready to go onto some frame. I'd just as soon put on the Revelation U-Turn Dual Air for the adjustability and weight savings and wouldn't the XCL be just as balanced going 5 and 5?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

"Chopper"...sort of

When I first got on the XCL I did notice a bit of chopper feeling but not too bad and on the trail it worked well. The steering was quick and precise. To be fair about a Blur comparison I should say that my Blur was a size large (too big) and I ran a fork at 120-130mm on it (about 1 inch higher than it was designed for). The Blur responded well on smooth and open trails and really made me want to stand and sprint along. I would also throw myself farther forward on intense climbs. This is probably due to my forbidden love of bar ends. I haven't put bar ends on the Chumba yet, but I'm sure I will try it sometime.

If you like a 70 HT just run a slightly lower fork. I rode the XCL at 120 on all of my ride yesterday and it felt great. It moved quickly and handled well even on the newly cut trail that usually punishes my arms and hands.

I would say that the XCL handles as quick as any of my XC bikes, but it is more slack so it feels different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What I feel on the bike that I bought instead of the XCL

and no I'm not going to say what it is because the next guy would just love the heck out of it and think I was crazy...what I feel is it's just generally a slower but really stable bike. I notice the stableness when I have to plow through a ton of rocks up, level or down. When I was in Moab it was great (of course, I wasn't switching back and forth between bikes) because all you do in Moab is plow though rocks or up and down ledges so any added stability is welcome.

I just don't ride trails like that constantly where I live but I sure do have a ton of tight twisty singletrack with a lot of climbing. I don't need the stability all the time, I want quick. I'm quizzing you about your XCL because you're still new to its ride and can tell quick from not quick, compared to your other rides. What I'm looking for is a 5" bike that's very stable and quick. I guess I should test drive an XCL from a local shop. I'm just guessing that the slacker head tube angle of my new bike is only part of the reason it feels slower.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

quick angles

What is your seat tube angle? One of the things that sold me on the XCL was the relatively steep seat tube angle of 73. I feel like that keeps the bike snappy. Several other 5" bikes that a tried were more relaxed:71 or less. Coming from my older bike background, I never felt right on them, I was alway too far "in" or "behind" the bike. Most were great bikes, but not for me. That's the joy of opinions: I always win as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I'm with you Trails4Two

I also came from a blur, a blurXC actually. My biggest reason for getting rid of it was
    the horrible pedal feedback exactly as you described. In addition, I live in dry, rocky
    AZ, and I was constantly spinning out the rear tire on climbs. Another thing was that
    I would often have right knee pain after ride on the blur, I did injure it a few years ago, but the VPP suspension aggravated it, but using the chain tension the way it does is in effect making your knees be used as dampers, the extra force fromn unwinding the chain on rebound goes into your knee.

But one of the things I was concerned about was climbing goemetry, I wanted a bike that I could climb comfortably on, and the 73 degree seat angle eventually sold me
    on the XCL, as opposed to the Motolite.

One funny thing is how my riding has evolved since getting the XCL.
    I was originally wanting to go with a purely XC type riding position, so I got a 120mm stem on a large XCL. ( I have a 32" inseam)
    Then I went down to 100mm w/ 6 degree rise, which seemed perfectly dialed in.
    Last Dec I went OTB and broke my wrist.
    As I said, the trails here are very rocky, and you want to be able to ride down rocky sections with confidence. Now I just put on a Hope 70mm/25 deg rise stem.
    Now I feel I have the bike dialed in for all around trail riding for where I live.
    It feels great going down and climbing on it doesn 't feel too chopper like.
    It's not quick steering anymore but I've had no issues climbing anything.
    I just climbed a really steep slickrock section yesterday with issues at all.
    I do dial down the fork perhaps a tad more than I used to, but overall I think this is the best setup.

BTW xcguy, if you want a quick steering 5" XC type frame probably your best bet
    would be the Ellsworth Epiphany. I think it's in your ballpark geometry wise.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

XCL in desert

Thanks for the affirmation le_buzz. I learned to mountain bike at South Mountain and Sedona in the early ninties, so I know what you mean. I am moving to Grand Junction, CO from Tacoma, WA in August and I can't wait to try the XCL at Fruita, Moab, and the local GJ trails. It really seems like it will be perfect for the way I ride those trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, the XCL will be perfect for these kinds of trails.
    I still haven't ridden a bike that matches the smoothness and traction of a well
    executed horst-link link the XCL, even the vaunted dw-link didn't match in that category when I rode an Mkiii in Sedona last year.

May I hijack your thread for a moment to pick your brain about the riding in the
    Puget Sound area, as I might be moving there later this summer ?
    What's the riding like there, is it mostly forested singletrack, is there a variety of terrain nearby, or do you generally have to travel a long ways ?
    Is there decent winter riding to be had, or is it usually too muddy between, say,
    Nov and March ? Just wondering what to expect, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two
    Thanks for the affirmation le_buzz. I learned to mountain bike at South Mountain and Sedona in the early ninties, so I know what you mean. I am moving to Grand Junction, CO from Tacoma, WA in August and I can't wait to try the XCL at Fruita, Moab, and the local GJ trails. It really seems like it will be perfect for the way I ride those trails.
    I recently came back from Fruita and Moab with the XCL. The bike is for sure made for those trails! And the ones here in BC...I guess it just does all trails well?

And for the guy who wondered about quickness of the XCL...It climbs way better than my King Kikapu, Kula, or the husband's Enduro Expert (i think mine weighs in at a hefty 37 lbs too!)

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

trail diversion

le_buzz, Puget Sound is a big area and trails will vary widely depending on where you are. Any idea where you would land?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails4Two
    le_buzz, Puget Sound is a big area and trails will vary widely depending on where you are. Any idea where you would land?
    Right in Seattle, probably pretty close to downtown, maybe eastside but I dont like
    big commutes. I'd like to be able to access trails where I can make good use of the XCL's capabilities if possible, so I'm hoping there's some good trails close by that are more than just your meandering through the woods variety. Like you said, it's a big area and that probably depends on where you're located. What are some of your favorite trails that are within an hours drive of Seattle ?

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Seattle trail diversion

[/QUOTE] What are some of your favorite trails that are within an hours drive of Seattle ?[/QUOTE]

le_buzz,

I'm probably not the best person to ask about trails: I have been dissappointed with trails and access here and it is a big factor in our moving away this summer. I have a bias...

I live in Tacoma (about 45 min south of Seattle), the trails I can get to in an hour are mostly small, short, very twisty singletrack where the trail map looks like a complicated knot. You should check posts by "skookum" here on MTBR, he lives in Seattle and has written up many of the rides available. Seattle should be better than Tacoma since most of the good rides are north and east of seattle. Check out Tiger Mountain, Ranger Creek, Noble Nob, and Skookum Flats. There has been a huge amount of trail damage due to weather in the past three years, but I think most of these are back in business. Most of the "big" trails with elevation haven't opened yet this year. Winter riding is wet like you wouldn't believe coming from AZ, but you can ride most of the year. Due to soil composition, it doesn't really hurt the trail very much though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Right in Seattle, probably pretty close to downtown, maybe eastside but I dont like
    big commutes. I'd like to be able to access trails where I can make good use of the XCL's capabilities if possible, so I'm hoping there's some good trails close by that are more than just your meandering through the woods variety. Like you said, it's a big area and that probably depends on where you're located. What are some of your favorite trails that are within an hours drive of Seattle ?
    I am not sure where you are coming from, but traffic around Seattle metro is pretty bad. When I moved here I expected to liver "further out" for affordability reasons but quickly realized that was not a good option due to the time that would be spent sitting in traffic.

Hour's drive of Seattle changes drastically depending on the day and time,

Some good places: Tokul, Tolt McDonald, Tiger Mountain, St. Edís (canít be beat for closeness)

Working on the east side gets you in a better place for after work rides.

Is this thing on?

The most fun bike I have ever ridden!

I've been riding an 07 USA EVO for the past year as an aggressive XC bike here in Austin, TX. I love the confidence the bike gives on going down, charging into rock gardens and anything you throw at it. What I didn't like was the lack of confidence I had on tight switchback climbs and climbing in general.
    I was fortunate enough to visit Chumba the first week of June and Brian built me up a brand new medium XCL with the RP23 to demo. I have to be honest, I had a hard time getting comfortable on the bike coming from the EVO, but I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Long story short, I ordered one and started making changes. I could see this bike would rip w/ the DHX, Fox Talas 36, and a 70mm stem (tried 100 and 90 on demo bike).
    I know have 2 rides on my new XCL and it is the most fun bike I have ever ridden! I have been running the Talas in the 130mm setting 90% of the time and will throw it at 160mm for the DH. This bike corners like one of those high speed Euro trains, descends like Milli Vanilli's career, tracks like a tank, and climbs as steady as Bill Gates' bank account.
    This bike has more smiles per crank ratio than any other bike I have ridden to date. 6 inches? Who needs it when the XCL's 5 inches are so plush? Sure, I attribute some of that to the DHX, but let's just say I'm not asking for more travel! Hell, I'm not asking for anything more at all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [[/B][/FONT]

Members who have read this thread: 0