XCL Dropouts to fit 12mm axle- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Reputation: OldschoolBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    258

    XCL Dropouts to fit 12mm axle

    Hi there, I'm am coming across a set of crossmax SX wheels which I'd like to run on my XCL. I know I just need a 20mm TA fork, but what about the rear dropouts.

    Anyone know if there's a way to put a 12mm rear axle on a XCL?

    Thanks much.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolBMXer
    Hi there, I'm am coming across a set of crossmax SX wheels which I'd like to run on my XCL. I know I just need a 20mm TA fork, but what about the rear dropouts.

    Anyone know if there's a way to put a 12mm rear axle on a XCL?

    Thanks much.
    I think 12mm for the XCL is a bit much (F5 runs 12mm) - maybe you can just use a 10mm bolt-on? I've run Crossmax SX with just standard QR before in the rear. You can see here: http://www.chumbaracing.com/xcl_build_kits.shtml
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Reputation: OldschoolBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    I think 12mm for the XCL is a bit much (F5 runs 12mm) - maybe you can just use a 10mm bolt-on? I've run Crossmax SX with just standard QR before in the rear. You can see here: http://www.chumbaracing.com/xcl_build_kits.shtml
    The wheels I'm getting come standard with a 12mm axle with QR. These are the new 2009 hub types. http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/cr....996225.1.aspx

    I'm running Hope II with Stan Flow wheels on there now and with standard 9mm QR, it flexes like crazy. I know 12mm is overkill but if they work, that'll be pretty sweet.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolBMXer
    The wheels I'm getting come standard with a 12mm axle with QR. These are the new 2009 hub types. http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/cr....996225.1.aspx

    I'm running Hope II with Stan Flow wheels on there now and with standard 9mm QR, it flexes like crazy. I know 12mm is overkill but if they work, that'll be pretty sweet.
    Oh - I see. Yea - maybe we could offer some kind of option like that in the future - I think for now - a 10mm Hadley bolt-on would work great.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,556
    You could use a stepdown axle for the rear... Azonic makes one called the Momentum axle... Ran it on all my QR bikes. Made a big improvement in stiffness and flickability in the rear...

    http://www.oneal.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=619

  6. #6
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    The wheels that came with my '07 XCL had a 10mm thru-bolt QR. Are those hubs still available?
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ..

    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    The wheels that came with my '07 XCL had a 10mm thru-bolt QR. Are those hubs still available?
    Sorry Chuck those are discontinued.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Reputation: OldschoolBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    You could use a stepdown axle for the rear... Azonic makes one called the Momentum axle... Ran it on all my QR bikes. Made a big improvement in stiffness and flickability in the rear...

    http://www.oneal.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=619
    is that right 136g for an axle. That's the weight of a thompson stem.

    Anyone know about the atomlab 12mm to 10 reducer?

  9. #9
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolBMXer
    is that right 136g for an axle. That's the weight of a thompson stem.

    Anyone know about the atomlab 12mm to 10 reducer?
    yea... the azonic one is pretty heavy. It's a steel axle... i know dad had one machined out in aluminium and there are companies which make them in aluminium too...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.