XCL on a diet- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCL on a diet

mtbr member
    May 2007

XCL on a diet

Just upgraded my XCL with Juicy Ultimates and twin TI eggbeaters, it now weighs in at 27.2lbs! I wasn't sure how the American Classic would hold up on this bike, they were originally on my SC Superlight. They have taken a beating and remain true....the fact that I'm 165lbs probably helps. This bike loves to climb and the PUSHed RP23 makes it that much better.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by mad4mtnbike
    Just upgraded my XCL with Juicy Ultimates and twin TI eggbeaters, it now weighs in at 27.2lbs! I wasn't sure how the American Classic would hold up on this bike, they were originally on my SC Superlight. They have taken a beating and remain true....the fact that I'm 165lbs probably helps. This bike loves to climb and the PUSHed RP23 makes it that much better.

Mark
    Wow! Nice build.....for a weight weenie.

Seriously, it looks good. Those wheels scare me though.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Dear Santa, I want a bike just like madfer's for Christmas. Amen.

I don't see where 32 hole, 3-cross spoked wheels and 14/15 gauge stainless spokes should have a durability problem unless you're out doing some serious air time. Even if you're running the Sapim spokes, at 165 they should hold up I'd think.

Do the Am. Classics have unusualy fragile rims or a troubling reputation?

ps: Imagine how light you'd be with an FSA crankset and F120 fork and without the kickstand! : )
    Last edited by Twister; 09-09-2007 at 01:56 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hit the big four-O this year so my big air days are over. I ride mostly very technical single track and some some occasional AM. I was at the point where I was really sick of frame flex and also wanted more travel, that's about the time when the new XCL became available and solved all my problems. So as Twister said....."Amen"

I definitely wouldn't trade 140 fork for 120, this is the most travel I've ever had up front and I love it!

I've thought about the FSA cranks but wonder how the carbon fiber holds up when hit. I ride some really rocky trails and my cranks/pedals often make contact with some pretty nasty rocks.

American Classic had some hub problems a few years back, rims are solid. I've ridden these wheels for about a year now and haven't even had to true them.

The kickstand is a dandelion puller.....

Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I was just kidding about the kickstand.

And I share your reservations about carbon cranks, but they are light though.

Actually, I think you've got a really excellent and clean looking build there.

27.2 lbs. is light!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Nice looking bike,

How does that bike ride? Is it a stiff ride? CF.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    How does that bike ride? Is it a stiff ride? CF.
    CF

They are the real deal! I'd put them up against any in their class (and some bigger bikes) including Nicolai. I'm not kidding. They are similar to the Helius CC.

I really like mine. And they are an incredible value. You should try and ride one if you get a chance.

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    CF

They are the real deal! I'd put them up against any in their class (and some bigger bikes) including Nicolai. I'm not kidding. They are similar to the Helius CC.

I really like mine. And they are an incredible value. You should try and ride one if you get a chance.

cheers
    fanboy!

there really are a lot of really good five inch bikes out right now. XCL is one of them IMHO.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    there really are a lot of really good five inch bikes out right now.
    No kidding! It really is a good time to be a mtb geek.

Good times....good times.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Similar to the CC???

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    CF

cheers
    My only question after a statement like that is have you in fact ever seen(up close) or ridden a Nicolai CC?I"ll respect what you say either way.I think this is a great looking bike,this is a horst link bike yes?Like Demo Slug said there are a ton of sick 5" bikes,mostly on paper and in apparence.But its the ride that needs to matter.I don't see many other(if any)bikes riding like a Nicolai anything let alone the CC.But having not ridden EVERYTHING(alot but not everything)I'd be a complete a$$ to try and make that statement.Wipe Nicolai off of the face of the earth and what's CF going to own for his 5" bike?Well I'll tell ya, not in this order but I'm thinking the Chumba,for sure Titus(I've AWLAYS had this thing for Titus ALWAYS)of course Knolly...Turner 5-spot and Ventana would be I think the hardest too bikes to decide between.I love the looks and the weights of a Ibis.Just not sure about the DW link.I'm sure I'm missing something but its early.Anyway this thread is about your Chumba,and you should be a happy camper cause that's one good looking ride,again one I'd love to get my hands on for a few hours.Please keep me posted. CF.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Them guys who makes 'em German mount'n bikes is dislecksik!

Er a least ther grafical tipe arttis is!

They gots ther spellin awl bakerds 'n stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Huh??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Twister
    Them guys who makes 'em German mount'n bikes is dislecksik!

Er a least ther grafical tipe arttis is!

They gots ther spellin awl bakerds 'n stuff.
    Why cause they have ONE letter(the N in NICOLAI) facing in the other direction?Gee,so much for dare to be different.Trust me they rule in "Dare to be different"cause they'er bikes are way different from anything you've ever seen.CF..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Look again. NIDOJAI is what it looks like to me. The N,C, and L are reversed, which is three letters where I went to first grade. I passed though.

Can't take a joke, or what?

Sheesh.

And they don't look that much different to to me from lots of other bikes.

Other than the industrial looking reinforced hangers, which are sort of strangely offset by the rather frail and swoopy looking suspension rockers and decorative chain stay piercings, they seem to be very similar to Chumba, Titus, Specialized, and others who put a pivot near the rear drops (Horst link style, as you mentioned).

I'm sure they are nicely executed and very well made, of course. Germans (who I happen to like, generally, as they mostly tend to think in patterns I find quite easy to relate to) are very good at mechanical engineering and metal fabrication.

Is there an extra pivot and a link up there behind the bottom bracket on the CC, like on Intense and Giant Trance, etc? That'd be different.
    Last edited by Twister; 09-11-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0