XCL derailleur hangers are made of cheese- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XCL derailleur hangers are made of cheese

I have broken 2 of them now, and I have never seen such weak hangers. They basically explode which causes the entire drive train to head for the wheels. It really sucked when I was in the middle of the trails (miles from the car) and a tiny stick got pulled up into the lower pulleys on the RD. It then flung the chain and RD with cable into the wheels which mangled the spokes. I have had many bikes, and this is the first one that has exploding D Hangers. Every other one I have had, just bends a bit. These must be made of cheese. Anyone else have this issue?

Jun 2009
    EDIT: Nevermind.....I am an idiot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I seemed to have the same problem, I think there are some other post on it. I went with a thru axle hub and saint derailuer and it solved my problem.

I'm on fire.
    I'm totally going to jinx myself saying this...

The first two seasons I owned my XCL, I went through a pile of hangers. They bent just by looking at them. Oddly enough, this season, even though I'm dropping bigger features, I haven't bent one yet. Though I have had some other bikey issues, as you know.

I think you're just lazy and out of shape, plowing through stuff with reckless abandon. We've had so many thunderstorms around here lately, the wind has directed many little hanger benders from the tree tops down to the trail surface to disrupt our peaceful forest rides. Stay sharp out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    You could always try using a Hanger Banger:
    http://northshorebillet.com/index.ph...3a5d9692bdb348

mtbr member
    Trigger- Given the choice of broken bits...I'll take mine over your breaks. I have just never seen them so fragile. It's like they are made from crumbly blue cheese. And it's always the smallest of the twigs that does the most damage. Now I know when I hear that sound to lock up the rear break pronto. What size drops are you doing anyways?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get a Saint.

I bent the first one really bad, but the bike shop guys just banged it back into place. So far this 2nd one is doing okay. I do plow through everything...it's just more fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

i cracked 4 in 18 months

i'd lve to know what solves the problem (besides hte Saint...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think someone posted previously that the wheels manufacturing hangers were stiffer.

mtbr member
    I thought that the Saint needed a different hub interface. Isn't it a TA hub for that one? I have the Shadow, and an extra one now, because I thought I blew the other one up when the last D hanger went soft on me. Maybe I can have my friend's machine shop manufacture a stronger one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes Saints need a thru axle.

Don't get to carried away with a stiffer derailluer hanger. Remember that they are supposed to bend when hit or you might ruin the seat stay. I felt they wiggled to much and affected shifting is why I went with the Saint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    Yes Saints need a thru axle.

Don't get to carried away with a stiffer derailluer hanger. Remember that they are supposed to bend when hit or you might ruin the seat stay. I felt they wiggled to much and affected shifting is why I went with the Saint.
    That would mean getting different wheels, and I just bought some DT-Swiss 5.1D rims with DT-340 hubs. I realize that the D hanger should bend, but these explode! I only wish they bent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The silver hangers are much stronger than the black ones (I'm assuming Evo hangers are the same as XCL hangers). I bent a bunch of black ones, moved to the silver ones, no problem since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dayuhan
    The silver hangers are much stronger than the black ones (I'm assuming Evo hangers are the same as XCL hangers). I bent a bunch of black ones, moved to the silver ones, no problem since.
    I just ordered a few extra and was told that there are different hangars for US and non-US made XCLs. Do you know if the stronger silver ones will fit all XCL frames? Thanks

Spin-stabilized
    After a fseveral assaults from fat branches/sticks on the spokes of the rear wheel and deraileur, my hanger finally got bent. It's just a slight bend that's enough to misalign the rd and cause me to shift into the spokes. I used the old allen wrench into the der bolt technique and bent it back into shape. It works fine now. Honestly, I'd rather have a hanger give than have my deraileur or dropout get damaged. I just need to carry a spare or two for deep backcountry rides.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    After a fseveral assaults from fat branches/sticks on the spokes of the rear wheel and deraileur, my hanger finally got bent. It's just a slight bend that's enough to misalign the rd and cause me to shift into the spokes. I used the old allen wrench into the der bolt technique and bent it back into shape. It works fine now. Honestly, I'd rather have a hanger give than have my deraileur or dropout get damaged. I just need to carry a spare or two for deep backcountry rides.
    Me too, but when mine explode instead of bending, it ends up doing significant damage to the other pieces ie, derailleur, spokes, shifter cable and housing. I don't carry those extra parts on the trail with me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Where do you buy hangers

For the US made frames?

mtbr member
    this is where chumbaevo should be posting. alan, what's the answer for this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    this is where chumbaevo should be posting. alan, what's the answer for this?
    They are made of 7 series aluminum and use the same width and material as some other popular high-end brands. The overall incidence rate we have of them breaking and being replaced is not that high - with some riders not breaking any at all. If you are riding really rocky areas and choosing very aggressive lines, you have to expect some breakage. If your situation is more of an anomaly - and you're going through far too many - just e-mail me at [email protected] so I can evaluate your situation and work something out.

On another note, I was at Del Cerro yesterday afternoon, and my good friend did a face-plant off a jump. He went unconscious and was admitted to the emergency room and ICU - got home yesterday at 1:00am from the hospital. Although he should make a full recovery - there does appear to be some serious damage. Any prayers and support for my friend from the CHUMBA family would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by CHUMBAevo; 08-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    All the best for your buddy healing thoughts sent.

mtbr member
    i don't pray, but but i do hope your buddy gets better. good luck

mtbr member
    I broke mine in downiville, so I only got one day's worth of riding in instead of 3. Super bummed, so I ordered two and keep one as a spare in my pack.

Spin-stabilized
    Singlespeed!
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On another note, I was at Del Cerro yesterday afternoon, and my good friend did a face-plant off a jump. He went unconscious and was admitted to the emergency room and ICU - got home yesterday at 1:00am from the hospital. Although he should make a full recovery - there does appear to be some serious damage. Any prayers and support for my friend from the CHUMBA family would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sorry to hear this news and I'll be praying for your friend. This is a great sport, but it can bite you too.
    R

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    I broke mine in downiville, so I only got one day's worth of riding in instead of 3. Super bummed, so I ordered two and keep one as a spare in my pack.
    might want to order more than 2...

mtbr member
    Alan, I hope that your friend is doing better.

For some reason, it's not the lines that I am chosing, it little trail debris that does all the damage. My friend has a Cannonfale Prophet, and his hanger is probably twice as thick as my XCL's. He has simply bent it back several times. He bends his when falling onto the drive side. Since my XCL is more stable, I don't fall as much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    I have broken 2 of them now, and I have never seen such weak hangers. They basically explode which causes the entire drive train to head for the wheels. It really sucked when I was in the middle of the trails (miles from the car) and a tiny stick got pulled up into the lower pulleys on the RD. It then flung the chain and RD with cable into the wheels which mangled the spokes. I have had many bikes, and this is the first one that has exploding D Hangers. Every other one I have had, just bends a bit. These must be made of cheese. Anyone else have this issue?
    Dude. I've owned an '07 XCL for two years now and I bend one up on almost every ride!

Sneeze on the right side of the bike and it will bend. I've had so many rides ruined by this that I've stopped riding the XCL and switched to my Racer-X. Riding the same trails I only have a problem there about once every two months.

The only way I'd think about going back to the XCL would be with a Shimano Alfine internal hub. The bike will still need a chain tensioner but I can get one that used the quick-release skewer.

mtbr member
    I Have had my XCL for two years, and have bent 3 hangers total. Two in the first couple of weeks! Then about a month ago during a ride, I noticed that my bike wasn't shifting properly. It was the hanger. I bent it back and it has been ok ever since. I have always carried a couple in my pack ever since the first two curled, but my current stretch is pretty good.
    They are not really thin, compared to the hangers I've had on other bikes. The portion that attaches to the bike is 165 thousandths of an inch thick. The one from my Tracer is only .125. The one from my Azonic Saber is .173.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got a HX2 and I broken 2 hangers too

Bike Crusader~
    Jan 2009
    Yeah the XCL hangar looks pretty thick to me on mine~
    "Ride it, Feel it...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masnumata
    Yeah the XCL hangar looks pretty thick to me on mine~
    How many have you broken? I don't really put the bike down too often (don't want to jinx myself here), but it is trail debris that smokes mine. Little GD sticks seem to do the most damage.

mtbr member
    I finally did one in this year after a season and a half of riding, so not too bad. A big rock knocked the derailleur into my spokes...the derailleur survived, so the hanger did it's job.

I bought a replacement off someone on Ebay for $10, but it's been 4 weeks and it hasn't arrived yet. Guess I might have to look into what's going on there.

mtbr member
    Surely a stronger hanger can be made??? Is it the same hanger that is on the VF2 I am thinking of buying? Where I ride we get a lot of storms and often there are lots of fresh derailer snappin sticks scattered on the trail...

it's....
    I'm on my 3rd hanger in 2 years, which is par for the course.
    Just got 3 more from Chumba, that should last me a few more years.
    Just stock up on a few, it's normal for hangers to bend.

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

so far so good

2 years and no bends. Maybe I'm just weak and scared....

mtbr member
    2 years with lots of rocks,sticks and to many falls and just bent mine. bent it back and is shifting fine,please don't change them
    loving my xcl and chumba CS
    LL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XCL derailleur hangers are made of cheese-hanger.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    2 nd ride,1 broken... I blamed the carbon cage, and figured the hangar did its business...

It was an EVO tho

the train keeps rollin
    LOL, the hangers are doo doo. My friend bends one every few months.
    beaver hunt

Members who have read this thread: 0