XCL is da bomb !- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764

    XCL is da bomb !

    I went out on a short ride today, and all I can say is, this bike is flawless in every respect.
    This is truly a do it all machine. (There's a pic in Bone Collectors thread, but its not very good, I'll try to post something better tomorrow.)
    Uphill, downhill, doesnt matter. This bike tracks better than anything I've ever ridden.
    I could not get the rear tire to break loose standing and pedaling on the rocky gravelly climb,
    which is what I hated about my previous bike. The only nitpick I could find was it looks
    like its going to be a little tight if I want to put a water bottle on the downtube mount with the DHX air piggyback chamber.
    Its the large grey ano, with a makeshift kit that Glenn at bbc put together that included the Pike U-turn Air, Race Face Deuce bar and seatpost, Ritchey 120 mm stem, King headset, WTB Weirwolf Tires, XC rear hub, Laserdisk front, Sram X9 drivetrain,
    Mavic 321 (I think) rear and DTSwiss 4.2 front wheels.

    . At the bike shop scale it came in at 31.6 lbs. This was with tire sealant in the tires, which adds close to a half pound so consider it a 31 lb build. It wouldnt be hard to get this bike under 30 lbs without spending a ton of cash.
    Thanks to the boys at Chumba for making a great product and to Glenn at bbc for making
    it happen. Here, I'll go ahead and post one of the crappy shots I have of it for now.
    I will try to post something better if anybody's interested:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1181795220
    XCL-6-13 002.jpg


    I've been out of the saddle for 3 months and didnt realize how out of shape I was until it was time to turn around at the end of my short ride. This bike is too much fun !
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134
    Glad to hear you like the bike, reading posts like this makes all the long hours well worth it. : )
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    30
    Le_Buzz,
    Nice looking Chumba, I just got mine built this evening and test road it around the street... haven't had a chance to ride it on dirt yet, but I can't wait. Mine built comes in at 29.9 lbs.

    Here is a picture of mine:
    Last edited by chiselneck; 06-14-2007 at 10:04 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134

    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by chiselneck
    Le_Buzz,
    Nice looking Chumba, I just got mine built this evening and test road it around the street... haven't had a chance to ride it on dirt yet, but I can't wait. Mine built comes in at 29.9 lbs.

    Here is a picture of mine:
    That's a badass looking bike...
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dubjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    786
    Nice looking setups you guys got there. Enjoy! I can't wait to get mine!

  6. #6
    American Made!
    Reputation: 1x1clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    321
    Great looking bikes guys!
    I just took my XCL for a pre-work loop at Oaks this morning and cannot get over how well it climbs & descends it kicks some serious butt!

    The most shocking thing about this morning was that I beat my personal best time- which was on my custom Ti SS!- of 42 minutes...the time on the XCL : 39 minutes 48 seconds!!!

    Just don't tell my SS buddies, they are going to be pissed
    What is thy bidding, my master.

  7. #7
    American Made!
    Reputation: 1x1clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    321
    Great looking bikes guys!
    I just took my XCL for a pre-work loop at Oaks this morning and cannot get over how well it climbs & descends it kicks some serious butt!

    The most shocking thing about this morning was that I beat my personal best time- which was on my custom Ti SS!- of 42 minutes...the time on the XCL : 39 minutes 48 seconds!!!

    Just don't tell my SS buddies, they are going to be pissed
    What is thy bidding, my master.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764
    I haven't done a long ride on it yet, but my preliminary impressions are that this
    is going to climb better than my previous blurXC, which was 3 - 4 lbs lighter.
    It definitely felt better going up the short rocky climb that I did. The fully active
    suspension allows you to motor right up stuff I had to finesse on my other bike.
    Horst link rules !

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    148
    I took the XCL for it's first bike park session today. Works like a charm. Mind you this was a first for me this year AND I was a bit hung over so it was more than twitchy. Still, the bike works very well, passed with flying colours. 4-5 ft high speed drops, no problem what so ever. 4X? Great! If I did bottom out (which I never felt) it happened in a very sophisticated way with bottom out dialled all in. O-ring stayed about 5mm from the end of the shocks shaft at all times. I consider my riding to be anything but smooth and I weigh in at about 200 lbs with gear. Just thought I'd rant a bit... Fear not!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Collector
    I took the XCL for it's first bike park session today. Works like a charm. Mind you this was a first for me this year AND I was a bit hung over so it was more than twitchy. Still, the bike works very well, passed with flying colours. 4-5 ft high speed drops, no problem what so ever. 4X? Great! If I did bottom out (which I never felt) it happened in a very sophisticated way with bottom out dialled all in. O-ring stayed about 5mm from the end of the shocks shaft at all times. I consider my riding to be anything but smooth and I weigh in at about 200 lbs with gear. Just thought I'd rant a bit... Fear not!
    I did my second ride a couple days ago up a rocky singletrack in an area known as Molino Basin. I started at the top and went down. Lots of ups and downs but only a 400' elevation
    chamge from top to bottom. I didnt do so well going back up. The area is about 2000' higher
    than Tucson, but I attribute my lackluster performance to being off the bike since early March. This was my first try at a real ride and I evidently tried to do too much. The bike had no problem doing anything, is just that the engine didnt have enough gas.
    My muscles are still a little sore from that attempt, but I think I'm going to try a mellower
    ride in the Catalina foothills north of town later this aft.
    I wasnt sure if I had properly dialed in the Pike on the previous ride. I'm around 180 with
    gear and I have about 145/135 in the pos/neg chambers. I havent messed with anything else though and I thought I noticed a little bit of initial resistance at the beginning of travel.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbike_AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    203
    What made you choose the XCL vs. the EVO? Other than travel is there a whole lot of difference??? I have never seen either bike in person so I am curious....

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    What made you choose the XCL vs. the EVO? Other than travel is there a whole lot of difference??? I have never seen either bike in person so I am curious....

    Thanks.
    A little late, but I think this question deserves an answer.
    First, as we get older our balls shrink. The XCL can take everything my shrinking balls have to give. This said, I don't do 200 foot drops, but I wanted a bike that can withstand my weight and riding (not shmoove by any means) without it being overkill. The XCL is such a bike for me. The EVO would have been a bit over the top, though I'm sure it is a very capable bike.
    Second, I enjoy a responsive ride. I'd want a Porsche rather than a Hummer (which should be banished from the face of the earth by the way!). I've tried some 6-7 inch monsters which are great if you have no balls at all, but they just feel a bit boring for my riding. Sure it's comfortable to look at a 15 foot boulder ahead and just plough on through, but for me, the challenge of clearing that boulder on a Porsche rather than a Hummer is a more rewarding experience. Plus people will realize that with a little work the world could deal without Hummers.
    A Porsche is a surprisingly capable car, as the XCL is a bike. It can take hell of a lot in it's stride if you're willing to work. And that is the main reason I chose the XCL over the EVO.
    Also, I had been so happy with my Pike on the hardtail I used to ride, I did not want to switch forks while upgrading the frame. The XCL matches the Pike (and vice versa) perfectly.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Collector
    A little late, but I think this question deserves an answer.
    First, as we get older our balls shrink. The XCL can take everything my shrinking balls have to give. This said, I don't do 200 foot drops, but I wanted a bike that can withstand my weight and riding (not shmoove by any means) without it being overkill. The XCL is such a bike for me. The EVO would have been a bit over the top, though I'm sure it is a very capable bike.
    Second, I enjoy a responsive ride. I'd want a Porsche rather than a Hummer (which should be banished from the face of the earth by the way!). I've tried some 6-7 inch monsters which are great if you have no balls at all, but they just feel a bit boring for my riding. Sure it's comfortable to look at a 15 foot boulder ahead and just plough on through, but for me, the challenge of clearing that boulder on a Porsche rather than a Hummer is a more rewarding experience. Plus people will realize that with a little work the world could deal without Hummers.
    A Porsche is a surprisingly capable car, as the XCL is a bike. It can take hell of a lot in it's stride if you're willing to work. And that is the main reason I chose the XCL over the EVO.
    Also, I had been so happy with my Pike on the hardtail I used to ride, I did not want to switch forks while upgrading the frame. The XCL matches the Pike (and vice versa) perfectly.
    Couldnt be better said. College boys in huge brand new SUV's cutting you off in
    traffic are a major annoyance this time of year, besides using up way more than their
    share of the earths finite resources and contributing more to global warming, although
    we all do that to a certain extent.

    As for me, I wanted to get a bike that could do AM and general XC trail type riding
    with an occasional drop or two, but still be able to do long climbs if
    necessary without it feeling like a major ordeal to do so.
    The trails where I live - at least the good ones - tend to have places where its
    very rough and rocky, and one of the joys on the XCL is being able to clean a section
    going up that you would have previously had to walk on your old bike.
    Its plenty capable of doing way more than I do on it, you could do 15' hucks on this bike
    if you wanted to. You do have to climb to get to the downhill part, climbs should be
    fun too. They are on this bike. I've started to get used to the weight, although it would
    still be nice to shave a couple pounds.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.