XCL and climbing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XCL and climbing

I have noticed the front end of my XCL wanders on steep climbs. I have a 32 TALAS that I run at 120 and 140. I have a 100 MM stem. Any thoughts on what I can do to prevent the wandering? Thanks.

wuss
    Shift your weight?

nerfherder
    JTBAZ, what bikes were you riding before the XCL? I have a feeling it's a combination of technique and the types of bikes you're used to.

Jul 2008

Shorter Stem

A shorter stem may help in keeping the front end from wandering. It sound like it may not be an issue of dialing down down your fork, but possibly a shorter stem might help control the wandering issue. I tend to go to extremes and run a 50mm on my evo so perhaps try a 80mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Scruffy - I have ridden alot of Turners in the past - Spot, Flux, RFX. I currently have the new DW Spot. I would agree, the type of bike factors into the issue. As a result of the type of bike, technique will also factor into the issue. Accordingly, I may need to adjust my technique.

In addition, as Chumbawrld has mentioned, I am going to try a shorter stem the bike and see if helps. I will probably lower the handlebars a little to see if this helps.

nerfherder
    JTBAZ - Hmmm. I wonder what the main difference is here. Shorter chainstays? Shorter wheelbases? Seating position? And I thought a longer stem would put more weight forward which would help the front end stay planted. I would say my XCL certainly wanders less than the Turner 6Pack I used to have. But lowering the bars should help. Let us know what works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sometimes a longer stem creates the situation where u end up pulling back because of the stretch and this pulls up at the front.To short a stem also means u cant get enough weight over the bars to keep the front down.Id also check how many spacers r under the stem on the fork steerer as this can also effect things.These r the things that affect the bike on the climbs not poor bike design.

Members who have read this thread: 0