XCL cablestops drill out?- Mtbr.com
    it's....

XCL cablestops drill out?

My black ano XCL frame just came in, sitting in my cube at work!
    Anyone drill out the cable stop for rear derailleur?
    I'd rather run full housing all the way for rear, but will it void warranty, or is it not recommended?
    I will be running SRAM drivetrain if it matters.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    My black ano XCL frame just came in, sitting in my cube at work!
    Anyone drill out the cable stop for rear derailleur?
    I'd rather run full housing all the way for rear, but will it void warranty, or is it not recommended?
    I will be running SRAM drivetrain if it matters.
    I doubt very highly that it'll void the warranty. I've been thinking about drilling out the stops myself...full housing is a good thing here in the PNW.

BTW, this thread is worthless without pics!

Oh, congrats on the new bike.
    Extreme stationary biker.

it's....
    I just picked up the frame, pics will follow in a few days after I build her up.
    Odd thing I noticed about the main pivot bolts behind the BB shell, one of them is longer and has a nut too, but the other one is flush with the width of the swing arm and no nut.
    I read about earlier models that had this bolt coming loose, is this a fix for that problem?

I'm on fire.
    Odd thing I noticed about the main pivot bolts behind the BB shell, one of them is longer and has a nut too, but the other one is flush with the width of the swing arm and no nut.
    I read about earlier models that had this bolt coming loose, is this a fix for that problem?
    Odd, but that's just the way it is. Not sure if that's ever been modified, but that's how mine is too. I've put about 100 miles on the frame so far and check those bolts regularly, but haven't had any issue with them loosening yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Trophy Husband
    I just picked up the frame, pics will follow in a few days after I build her up.
    My main pivot bolts are still tight, but I did have the drive side horst link bolt fall out on my 4th ride (luckily I found it on the trail). This is not a Chumba specific issue...also happened with my Titus. I'd keep an eye on all your bolts early on...I'd check'em before every ride...just to be safe.
    Extreme stationary biker.

it's....
    OK, that's reassuring, and I saw another frame pic with uneven bolts, but mine has the longer bolt on non-drive side. Hope it doesn't matter which side is longer.
    And the horst pivot bolt issue should be fixed with current frames, but I will definitely check it regularly.
    Still gotta wait for other parts to get here on next week!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    For what its worth had my xcl since end of may,several hundred miles and no probs with bolts but still check reg. brrrrep brrrrep

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Has anyone else noticed some play in the front mount for the rear shock?

Fatback
    The through bolt and nut should be on the drive side for torque reasons. All of the XCL's will have them.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcantrell
    Has anyone else noticed some play in the front mount for the rear shock?
    If there some play in the front mount, then it might be due to a loose bolt. Are they snugged down?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They are definitely snugged down and there is still a noticeable amount of play in the connection. Its pretty annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    The through bolt and nut should be on the drive side for torque reasons. All of the XCL's will have them.
    I just recieved my medium XCL frame yesterday, and I don't have the nut on either bolt. Both bolts are flush with the chainstay on the protruding end, so I'm not missing a nut. Very strange.

it's....
    I ended up drilling out stops for just the rear derailler, added couple of small scratches in the process (one on each stop).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0