XCL Bottom Bracket Compatability- Mtbr.com
    I'm living the dream!

XCL Bottom Bracket Compatability

Just wanted to share an experience I just had with my Race Face BB on my XCL for anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation.

I have a RF Atlas crank on my XCL and was running the standard X-Type BB with one spacer on the drive side without too many issues other than a lot of creaking and some chain rubbing on the front mech in certain gears. A couple weeks ago I popped out the stock BB bearings and replaced them with a set of Enduro bearings. After I put everything back together, I had even more rubbing on the front derailleur and now had some shifting problems.

I was flying to the mainland the next day for the Dirt, Sweat and Gears 12 hour so I had to pack the bike up and decided to let a LBS in TN take a look at it. When I got there The mechanic played around with it for a while and then pulled the BB and read the spacer instructions provided on the plastic insert. Apparently, the RF X-Type BB is not compatible with a 73mm Shell and E-Type Derailleur. Who knew? Not me, I guess I never even bothered to look at that guide. I had no real problems until I added the Enduro bearings. The only thing we could figure was, because the Enduro bearings use an outer dust seal that stick out a bit more, it threw off the alignment far enough to cause problems. We tried it with different spacer configurations and never could get it shifting properly.

Just to work the process of elimination, he installed a Shimano BB and viola, no more problems. The Shimano BB specifically says it's compatible with a 73mm shell and E-Type. I assumed the RF and Shimano had the same cup measurements since they are compatible with each others cranks but apparently that's not the case. I know Hope, Enduro and others are coming out with their own external BBs so the take away from this is, if you're using an aftermarket BB, ensure it is compatible with the 73mm/E-type combo before you buy.

As much as it pains me to say this, the Shimano BB actually rolls smoother than my RF BB ever did. I went for a ride this morning and the stupid creak is back so I guess that wasn't the BB after all...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Who knew??

But anyways..I hate creaks too! One thing to check..try wiggling your rear cable housings and see if you can replicate the sound. Sometimes when the ferrules start splitting, you'll get some nasty creaks.

I'm living the dream!
    Here's something weird. I was just curious and went to RaceFace's website to check their tech info. There it shows you can use their BB with a 73mm shell and E-Type utilizing no spacers. That totally contradicts what the chart stuck to the BB itself says. And that doesn't explain my drive line problems. I don't know, maybe they updated their cups or something. Anyway, it's still a good idea to check that stuff when you're buying for a bike with an E-Type.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/BB..._XC_AM_web.pdf

Jan 2004
    This is strange. I'm running a Raceface bb with no spacers (the e-type thingy counts for one) and seeing no issues yet, although I haven't been on a thorough ride yet because of other mechanical issues.

I'm living the dream!
    I think you'll be good. As far as I know I'm the only one that had the problem and looking back, some of the problem may have been self induced. Enjoy the bike once you get it going.

Members who have read this thread: 0