XCL bike park worthy?- Mtbr.com
    Spin-stabilized

XCL bike park worthy?

Hey guys,
    I'm seriously considering an XCL as my next bike. This might be my last bike purchase for a long time so it has to be quite versatile. I think the XCL has everything covered except for any kind of racing or serious DH and FR. What I want to know is if it can take the abuse of lift-assisted riding (Northstar/Whistler). I've taken my Chameleon to Northstar and have ridden mostly double black diamonds there and I'm planning on making a trip to Whistler next summer. At Northstar, the drops where a little sketchy to land because of the very loose terrain coupled with the less than cushy landings inherent with hardtails. Otherwise, the Chameleon did just fine (aside from giving me a sore back the next day) so I know that an extra burly frame is really overkill for me.

Will the XCL hold up to the occasional 4-6 footer and come away unscathed (no detrimental effects to the frame aside from metal fatigue of course)? I was thinking about the El Guapo as well. It's way more expensive but is almost just as heavy as the XCL.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    Hey guys,

Will the XCL hold up to the occasional 4-6 footer and come away unscathed (no detrimental effects to the frame aside from metal fatigue of course)? I was thinking about the El Guapo as well. It's way more expensive but is almost just as heavy as the XCL.
    bailout

Check your PM's.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the EVO may be better suited for your type of riding... But the XCL is indeed very versatile. I've hit 5 foot drops many times and crash almost every time.. (I'm a terrible rider) and the bike has held up just fine. remember a bike will go through more stress from a crash than a landing.
    I like rice.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    I've hit 5 foot drops many times and crash almost every time..

I love the self depricating humor.

Spin-stabilized
    I'm a svelte 135-140 in full riding gear though. I want a bike that I can take on epic roadtrips as well. Think Moab, Fruita, BC xc trails/epics. Evo or XCL? Anyone like the Evo on long climbs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 145 with gear before taking a bathroom break. For longer Climbs the XCL will be perfect- keep in mind its not a light bike buts its very strong. I only suggested the EVO because I was under the impression you wanted to go bigger.

The EVO climbs very well obviously not as good as the XCL but still good for a 6inch bike. You just have to get used to the strange seat angle on it.
    I like rice.

mtbr member
    Either the EVO or XCL will hold up for the type of riding you are talking about. The EVO might be better for a freeride because it is only 1lb. heavier but offers an inch more travel and a little more burliness.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Coors, the american beer.
    yo bailout ... that so cal dude couldnt stop raving about his when we were at downieville this summer ... he loved it
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    yo bailout ... that so cal dude couldnt stop raving about his when we were at downieville this summer ... he loved it
    Yeah, he called it the D'ville Destroyer. I've been trying to fish for a "long" term thrash test from him but so far no reply.

When you showing me around Bidwell? Veterans Day weekend? Weekend after next?

Coors, the american beer.
    throw out some dates and ill see what i can request off brougham ... conditions are awesome right now
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Members who have read this thread: 0