XCL any good for XC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

XCL any good for XC?

Was/am looking at a Motobecane Fantom Team - yes I know all of those arguments.
    But I've seen XCL kits for around $2K , which is what the Team costs out the door. But I ride almost exclusively XC in NE FLA with the ocassional trip out of town for elevation. I'm not a true weight weenie (6',1" & 220 and know I need durability) but would like some updated opinions/reviews/advice on the XCL. I know swapping parts can make it lighter but it's well spec'd right off the bat it looks like. No, I'm no racer and will not be competing. I would choose the RP23 rear and send it off to PUSH most likely and the PIKE 454 has some sort of platform damping.

Anyway, after riding the moto and it feeling like I was on a child's bike because the cockpit was so cramped I thought I'd look around. Sure there are a lot of other 100 - 120mm FS XC bikes out there but for some reason the XCL has my current attention.

Edit:
    I don't know if it matters or not but the one I'm looking at is an 07 and it's a 21"
    Last edited by ecrock45; 03-23-2009 at 04:29 PM.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

nerfherder
    Aggressive XC for a big guy? Frame to match a Pike? XCL sounds right to me.

That Fantom Team is a killer deal but they have to be cutting corners somewhere. By somewhere I'm thinking wheels/frame. And also, the XCL isn't an XC racer like the Motobecane so if you're really looking for an XC racer then I'd honestly look elsewhere. If you're looking for a mid travel do everything bike that has XC tendancies and a stout build then I think bikes like the XCL, Heckler, 5 Spot are what you'll really want.

wuss
    6' 1" and a 21"? Thats XL size? I think I'm taller (189cm) and ride a large, it's a perfect fit for me.

I think the XCL is very suitable for XC (what I think of as XC at least), but it's really not the lightest bike out there. On the other hand you are talking about putting a Pike as a fork, and I have to say the XCL is more XC then the Pike

I'm really happy with mine.

it's....
    Have you checked out VF2?
    Same travel and geo as XCL, but more XC worthy and takes Pikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    VF2 is way out of my price range but I enjoyed drooling over the pics at Chumba's website. Sweet!
    The XCL is part of a build kit and the Pike just comes with that kit.
    For some reason I prefer the larger frames (TT length maybe). Still with the 21"(edit for this reference: I also own a 21" Moto Fantom 29er Pro hardtail and have lost 15 lbs so far on it just riding cardio runs and some local off road) seat tube I have the seatpost pretty far out of the frame. But for some reaosn it feels comfy.
    I'll keep my eye on the Chumba while investigating others.
    Last edited by ecrock45; 03-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I was riding a Giant NRS1, it wieghed about 26.5 pounds, and climbedd great. I did a 3 day demo of a Chumba XCL, with the stock build it was about 34 pounds. I was pleasantly surprized when I went out on the trails riding the Chumba XCL. It has the feel of a 26-28 pound bike. I did a longer ride the first day of the demo and had a long climb. The Chumba XCL felt just as good or better than my Giant NRS1 on the climb. As for the downhill side, the Chumba felt awesome. One of the first things I noticed about the Chamba is how easy it is to lift the front end. I could manual it almost like a BMXer. I am a very aggresive rider. I am 5'-10" 190 lbs. I was an expert BMX racer for almost 20 years. I like to lead into turns faster than one should and I like to hit any jumps on the trail. The Chumba XCL was such a perfect fit, taking any thing I could toss at it, I decided that weekend to get a Chumba. I had to sell some other bikes to get wifey's approval to buy the Chumba. I did the stock build with a few extras. Custom wheels (Hope hubs, Syncros DS23 hoops, alloy nips, King headset, Fox Talas 32 fork, Thomson Seatpost, Maxxis Ignitor tires with Kevlar beads. My bike came out to 32 pounds. I sold the Giant NRS. Here is the link to the post on my bike build: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=398821
    I am so happy with my XCL, it is solid. It is nice to have a bike different than all the mass produced bike shop brands. Good luck.
    Ride Fast Take Chances

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob52367
    I was riding a Giant NRS1, it wieghed about 26.5 pounds, and climbedd great. I did a 3 day demo of a Chumba XCL, with the stock build it was about 34 pounds. I was pleasantly surprized when I went out on the trails riding the Chumba XCL. It has the feel of a 26-28 pound bike. I did a longer ride the first day of the demo and had a long climb. The Chumba XCL felt just as good or better than my Giant NRS1 on the climb. As for the downhill side, the Chumba felt awesome. One of the first things I noticed about the Chamba is how easy it is to lift the front end. I could manual it almost like a BMXer. I am a very aggresive rider. I am 5'-10" 190 lbs. I was an expert BMX racer for almost 20 years. I like to lead into turns faster than one should and I like to hit any jumps on the trail. The Chumba XCL was such a perfect fit, taking any thing I could toss at it, I decided that weekend to get a Chumba. I had to sell some other bikes to get wifey's approval to buy the Chumba. I did the stock build with a few extras. Custom wheels (Hope hubs, Syncros DS23 hoops, alloy nips, King headset, Fox Talas 32 fork, Thomson Seatpost, Maxxis Ignitor tires with Kevlar beads. My bike came out to 32 pounds. I sold the Giant NRS. Here is the link to the post on my bike build: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=398821
    I am so happy with my XCL, it is solid. It is nice to have a bike different than all the mass produced bike shop brands. Good luck.
    That's true about not having what everyone else does. I see/read more threads in different forums about Chumba and even Sette than I do about the motos. I ask and ask and post my questions get no replies. That's cool.
    Good to hear that the XCL climbs well. I'm sure I could upgrade a few things to get the weight down as expense reports and the decrease in the honey-do list allows.
    How difficult is it to face a headtube and BB shell?

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrock45
    How difficult is it to face a headtube and BB shell?
    I believe those come faced from the factory. Mine did.

I think.

Even so, if they aren't, most bike shops should charge about $20 for that. Not sure if there's a home mechanic's way to do it. Facer's are pretty specific tools.

mtbr member
    The XCL is really a do it all bike.

Build it up with some light components and you'll get a nice xc (not race) rig.
    Bring in a Pike and some AM wheel, and it become an amazing AM bike.
    Put a 4X marzocchi fork, reduce the rear travel and you'll have a solid 4X bike.
    You can also do some Super D if you have a smooth riding!

XCL ftw!

I need to say that I'm not riding a XCL right now ,

nerfherder
    And I need to ask if you actually tried a shorter shock to lower the BB and slack it out. I've been curious about that for a while.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    And I need to ask if you actually tried a shorter shock to lower the BB and slack it out. I've been curious about that for a while.
    Dunno if the question is for me but yes.

it was a medium XCL with a 7.5x 2 shock and a 4X fork. I used it in this setup a week end only to see the potential. I'm not the kind of guy that measure angles, bb height etc , but it was amazing for some casual 4X (less travel and probably a specific geometry would be needed to race).

But I have in mind to build one again in this 4X/ agressive shorter travel bike spirit. But I would make sure that this is possible and recommended by Chumba first!

edit: I think of of the Chumba team is using the XCL for 4X purpose?

nerfherder
    Sorry, yes, vinz, for you. And how about some pics! =)

Jun 2007
    I have also been curious about the shorter shock option for the xcl. Would it mess up the leverage ratios a lot? Any thoughts about this Chumba?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Sorry, yes, vinz, for you. And how about some pics! =)
    Unfortunately no, it was a year ago, I just had it in this setup for the week end, before building the real Chumba build kit.... for the french press picture

For T boner, yeah that was one of my consideration, but I'm was not able to "verify" that leverage ratio "issue", since I dropped a long time ago the engineer math class

Members who have read this thread: 0