XCL and 270lbs Clyde- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

XCL and 270lbs Clyde

Hi all,

I have this on my short list for a new trail bike and would like the feedback about the XCL and heavier riders. My rides are usually very rocky with a few 2-3 ft. drops thrown in. Is that going to be fine for the XCL. I do not think that I am overly hard on equipment. I would like to spec it with a 140mm fork, is it warrantied for 160mm, as I like the fact that the HA is 68 deg. I would like to know others experiences in case I cannot get a test ride.

mtbr member
    270lbs. is no problem.

A.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I'm 230 unloaded and have been riding mine plenty hard for 2 years and still going strong. It's pretty darn beefy. I did have mine with the DHX air which I didn't like. I would recommend getting the RP23 or a coil.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just bought a new XCL in March. I am 6'2" and 260 and its a great bike for a big guy. I dont know how you would hurt it. Great bike so far and just waiting to get more miles on it. So far it has done everything I have asked of it. I went with the Talas 32 fork with 15QR and the Fox RP23 and like the combo so far. I also went with the Avid Elixer CR brakes and they work great for stoping a big guy. Not sure what hubs you like but you might want to upgrade them as well. I am now getting some Chris King ISO hubs for my wheels because I broke the Chumba hub. Hope hubs I have heard are good and cost less than the Chris King hubs. The Chumba hub is nice and light but I dont think its the right hub for a clyde. Here is a link to some pics of my XCL http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=512336

mtbr member
    I'm about your size.. go with a pike coil and a dhx coil, 800# spring and x-firm up front. It will handle just about anything you dare throw at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0