XCAD? Reliable?- Mtbr.com

Thread: XCAD? Reliable?

Jan 2006

XCAD? Reliable?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a custom frame from Xcad.Yes, i know this was once a hot topic, but it needs some revival. Does anyone have experiences dealing with them? Is their quality good?How reliable is the company?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Look up the member with the screename Scrublover. I believe that he just had a custom Ti ordered through Spicer cycles.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by wadly_1001
    Hi all,
    I'm looking to get a custom frame from Xcad.Yes, i know this was once a hot topic, but it needs some revival. Does anyone have experiences dealing with them? Is their quality good?How reliable is the company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Look up the member with the screename Scrublover. I believe that he just had a custom Ti ordered through Spicer cycles.
    Yep, though I've not gotten it yet. Gene Spicer let me know it's on the way to him, and should be there soon. He'll check it over and make sure all is done to what we specified, then send it my way. I'll post up about it when it arrives; build up and frame pics. I've got all confidence it'll be exactly what I wanted.

He's sort of the middle man. As I understand, you can go direct with XACD as well. I figured to work with them through Gene, as he has an established relationship with them, and I figured the possibility of things going awry would be lessened that way. Sure, it's costing me more that way, but it's still running me quite a bit less than and of the domestic guys I talked to were going to run. Some of them plain told me they either wouldn't do it, or it would take them way longer.

As well, I've had Gene do work for me in the past, with some steel stuff. Turned out very well, with quick turnaround time. He's a great guy to work with, and I feel if anything goes wrong with the frame, he'll take care of me with it. He has done a lot of building and designing on his own in steel and aluminum, so he has some pretty good experience there to draw on with the design. Gave me a few things to think about when we were talking over what I wanted, and my end design had a few tweaks to it from that input.

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

update: frame is nearly here. gene will be shipping it out monday or tuesday.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Scrub....still diggin' your Peyto!

Although I'm edging toward a dually for my next rig, A long travel hardtail could definitely satisfy me for a LONG while I suppose! Until my aging back tells me it needs rear sus....

I'm glad that you're doing what you're doing. (With the Ti frame.) Just aren't many frames out there like it AND it seems there's a lot of riders into that type of frame and riding. (Hardtail, short chainstays, low standover, geo for a LONG travel fork, room for 2.5's!...some in steel but def. none in Ti)....lots of alu. frames out there for the jumping crowd,etc. I know, I know...I don't need anyone giving me a list with Doberman, Sinister, some of the rising small builders in the Pacific Northwest and western Canada, etc.
    Just, more of a long travel, burly TRAIL-bike frame.

AND...I know that I'm making a big generalization with the above statement but the closest thing to what I'm talking about would be the Evil Sovereign. Something burly for trail riding. Some stuff in the UK. Or, one finds some or many of the needs listed above but not all of them in one package. (Sometimes you can find all of the stuff on the wish list but rarely with room for BIG tires....2.5")

So, I'm anxious to find out how it turns out for you as well! I think that you'll love it with your experience with what you love(d) about your Peyto and, especially, now that you're on the east coast!
    As, I'm sure Wadly is also!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Jan 2006
    Gonna order my frame soon, its a 26" street bike, got my designs already.

Has anyone had bad or good experiences with this company before? Just want some info before i order.

local trails rider
    Isn't XACD the place where lots of shops have their titanium designs built? Meaning a good percentage of all the "cheap" titanium frames.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Isn't XACD the place where lots of shops have their titanium designs built? Meaning a good percentage of all the "cheap" titanium frames.
    yep. they build ti for a lot of other people.

as for the burly ti thing, there are a few out there:

Cove Bikes Hummer

Litespeed has one as well (nearly the same as the Hummer - they make the Hummer for Cove, btw.)
    Those two are close, but not quite what I wanted.

Voodoo Bikes has the Djab, which is not quite right, but the geometry with a Pike vs. the 100mm stock fork becomes what I wanted... Joe Murrey of Voodoo even assured me via e-mail he thought it would be sturdy enough to handle it. But it just didn't quite seem up to the task.

Dekerf has the ti Implant. Beautiful, but waaaaaaaaay spendy, even before you factor in any sort of custom option.

There are a few stock frames from UK builders that fit the bill perfectly, but either are no longer in production, not willing to ship to the states, or would end up being just as spendy as going the custom route anyhow.

I talked to several domestic custom ti builders. Some flat out said they'd not do a frame like that. Others said, yes, but I couldn't handle the price differential.

So, custom XACD via Gene Spicer as my middle man. I'll post up some dedtail pics when the frame shows up.

Sweet! A few pics via e-mail from Gene. Frame is boxed, and heading out as I type.

Bonus: I spent very little money on the bits to also set my old frame (the one this is replacing) up as a nice burly rigid bike, SS or geared.

Two bike build day coming soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Anticipation must be killing ya.

Looks pretty cool Scrubs - Can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope it holds up to the abuse you have planned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Anticipation must be killing ya.

Looks pretty cool Scrubs - Can't wait to see the finished product.

I hope it holds up to the abuse you have planned for it.
    I think it'll be fine. I don't do huge drops, but do lots of small moves. It'll get ridden a lot.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing it all built up. Is it on a truck heading your way now?

Only could do a little urban playtime this afternoon, but so far, it's ****in' sweet. Smoooooooth. 27# right on, according to the local shop scale. A pound lighter than the old. It could easily get lighter, but that would involve some more money and compromises to tha parts I like to run, which I'm not willing to accept. For a Not a DH beat the crap out of it hardtail, but just a tough, general take a beating do it all bike. Other than the slightly longer TT (only size change i wanted.) it felt just like the old ride. Beautimous.

Everything bolted up/threaded in/dropped in just fine. Gene faced and chased things before he shipped it out. Nicely shaped and minimal in look gussets. Me likey the aesthetics.

The lowly chainhanger. An oft overlooked feature, and a nice touch to me. I wanted one. Not nearly as many bikes come with them these days. My bikes usually go on top of the car, on the rack. The chain hanger is nice for those once in a while times of throwing it in the back instead, since I generally take the wheels off for that.

38mm diamater downtube, 22.2mm chainstays, both with 1.2mm thick walls. Nice and stiff, lotsa' weld area. The rest of the frame tubing is 0.9mm thick. Braced disc brake side stays and the headtube junctions are the only actual gussets.

Fatties Fit Fine, to steal from Surly for a moment. That's a 2.6" Kenda there, with a bit of room for more. Same clearance as the old frame. That's about average size for the tires I like to run, though sometimes a bit larger or smaller for specific rides.

It'll get a nice shakedown cruise tomorrow afternoon at Sprain Ridge, just over the border from me, in N.Y.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Nothing to say but, "NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!"
    Thanks for the photos!
    Please post a report once you get 'er out on the dirt and bash 'er around a bit!
    Looks like some burly CT trail stompin' love right there!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Wow! That looks great!!!!

Just in time for the snowstorm! ARGH!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

what bottom bracket

what is the brand of that bottom bracket? I'm looking for a red one to match my red CK headset on my ti bike. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtberfrombothell
    what is the brand of that bottom bracket? I'm looking for a red one to match my red CK headset on my ti bike. Thanks
    Enduro; same guys who make the fork seals.

www.enduroforkseals.com

mtbr member
    Great looking bike Scrub,

Hope it will work as well as it looks

Jan 2006
    Looks really nice, i can't wait to get mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadly_1001
    Looks really nice, i can't wait to get mine!
    Let us kow when you get yours and take some pics if you like and post them here with your feedback.

Jan 2006

Got it a week ago, I must say its stiff for a ti frame, very good ride. The gemo I used in it is my own and i must say its a very good ride, rides like no other!

mtbr member
    Nice bike, great looking frame. Is it polish or sand blast? Show some more pics of the frame if you can, cheers.

Jan 2006
    Nah, mate, i'm in Australia at the moment and the bikes in Singapore. Will try to get some. Frame has been left raw.

Titanium products
    Jul 2008

Who is posted my drawings to here???

[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone;

I am Kevin, I come from XACD,I am a designer bike! Who is posted my drawings to here??? THIS is my drawing!!!! I am very happy to see my drawings.

There are a lot of problems on the drawings??
    Of course, I would like to discuss to you of frame design.
    Please experts give me some advice!

Thank you very much
    kevin
    msn: [email protected]
    Focus on product design------Kevin

That's the drawing I received from Gene Spicer when I went through him to have that custom frame built by you guys... (XACD) All I know/knew is that someone from XACD drew the frame up.

Hardly a proprietary design, since it's what I was paying for with Gene acting as the go between.

No problems at all. The only thing I would do differently if I were to have it done again: same exact geometry, but built around a shorter axle to crown length fork.

Hi everyone;

I am Kevin, I come from XACD,I am a designer bike! Who is posted my drawings to here??? THIS is my drawing!!!! I am very happy to see my drawings.

There are a lot of problems on the drawings??
    Of course, I would like to discuss to you of frame design.
    Please experts give me some advice!

Thank you very much
    kevin
    msn: [email protected][/quote]

Titanium products
    Jul 2008
    The products now better than before!
    Kevin
    Focus on product design------Kevin

mtbr member
    hello
    are the tubes with 0.9mm thickness enough for a guy that weighs 85 kgs (184lbs) ??
    I've seen that scrublover has used 1.2mm tube thickness on downtube and chainstays.

I don't want it too flexi

thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0