X-Post: XCL Continues to Bring in the Rave Reviews!- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

X-Post: XCL Continues to Bring in the Rave Reviews!

Anaheim, CA - The CHUMBA XCL continues to bring in world-wide praise on its unparalleled durability and performance. Most recently, the Australian Mountain Biking website Farkin.net says, "It’s solidly built enough that you don’t have to worry about babying it or taking it easy once the trail points downhill, in fact, it’s spot-on combination of razor-sharp handling and smooth, controlled suspension practically demands that you bomb it down descents as hard and fast as you’re able."

The reviewer further says, "The XCL is a mountain bike, a bike that climbs capably and bombs technical cross country descents like it’s its job, a bike that you can thrash all day, put away dirty and pull out a week later ready to do it all again ... Put simply, it’s a mountain bike that does what a mountain bike is supposed to be able to do and it’s an absolute blast to ride."

For the full review, please visit: http://www.farkin.net/article/cc6045...ing_XCL_Review

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They mentioned 4x in the review at least twice. I've always thought there should be another XCL version specced with a shorter shock for 4x. You'd get the slacker geo, lower BB and probably somewhat snappier rear. I'm surprised I've yet to see an XCL on a 4x track since it would be a very capable alternative..
    Great review! I think they summarized really well what the XCL is essentially about.

mtbr member

Right on..

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Collector
    They mentioned 4x in the review at least twice. I've always thought there should be another XCL version specced with a shorter shock for 4x. You'd get the slacker geo, lower BB and probably somewhat snappier rear. I'm surprised I've yet to see an XCL on a 4x track since it would be a very capable alternative..
    Great review! I think they summarized really well what the XCL is essentially about.
    Throw a coil shock on the rear with a Fox 36 upfront on a XCL and you have a great 4x bike.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Interesting that the review mentions pedal strikes... I've had the same experience on my XCL. It's noticeable but not bad enough to disrupt the ride.

I also agree with this bit:

... in fact the XCL is an absolute singletrack ASSASSIN. Never before have I ridden a trail bike that can absolutely devastate swooping, twisty, rolling singletrack like the XCL does.

shred my gnar
    seemed like a very fair, and favorable, review.

ive always had issues with bangin the pedals (regardless of the bike), although i never blamed it on a low bottom bracket... just on my skills or lack thereof. i just keep pedaling regardless of where the rocks are. a recent purchase of a set of cb candy sl pedals lasted about 4 or 5 rides!

the only thing i really disagree with was the mention of the noticeable pedal bob while climbing... im at 210# w/o gear, dont use any propedal and dont have any problems with bob. i run fairly high pressure in both chambers (dont remembers the numbers) and love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I will be picking up my XCL on Friday and making a stop at the Chumba Headquarters as well. I will be posting a rather extensive review once my bike is dialed in. Had a hard time making up my mind between the Fox Talas and Pike 454 as well as the ano. grey or ano. black and then it came down to RP23 or DHX air 5.0.
    I like rice.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The jury's still out on the DHX Air, but I'm very happy with my ano grey and TALAS RLC.

local trails rider
    Not that I am planning to buy another bike soon ... but the XCL sounds like a good bike for my kind of riding/rider.

What sizes are you guys riding? I am about 176 cm / 5'10" and a bit standover challenged, and my trails are mainly pretty twisty. My HT bike has pretty similar angles to the XCL but the TT is about half way between the S and M. Right now I am thinking that a slightly shorter bike might not be a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm about 179cm and the Medium feels compact for me without feeling cramped.
    I would probably categorize my riding style as "mountain biking"...

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5' 9 1/2" with a 30" inseam and the Medium fits me pretty well after I changed to a 90 mm stem and trimmed the handlebar a tad.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    The jury's still out on the DHX Air, but I'm very happy with my ano grey and TALAS RLC.
    so true on the talas rlc... man, do i love that fork. it is absolutely perfect for the riding we have around flagstaff... dial the sucker down to 100 or 120 on the climbs and then flip the switch for the bombin. stiff and burly taboot...

regarding the dhx... that is one of those things that can go either way. once you get it dialed in its great but i think some folks get WAYYYYY too tech when going through that process... to the point that riding deficiencies get blamed on poor performance from the shock/fork/etc (not saying thats your case chucko... just on observation from reading these forums... none of my riding buds fall into this). the rear shock is a huge culprit in that blame game... sure people have their preferences, and if said shock wont deliver on those preferences then move on to another product, but seems to me people get so caught up in the settings and making them perfect that they are forgetting to just let loose and ride...

just my .02

local trails rider
    I was just looking at the Farkin.net review and the ones at the Chumba site and it seems to me that the frames on the other reviews are not exactly the same as in the Farkin review and what I see posted here. Is there a new generation of frames or am I missing something else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another review of the older 4.5", US made version.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...frame-07-14097

I'm living the dream!

Another review

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's a review I ran across over at Speedgoat. This was taken from their week at Interbike. http://www.speedgoat.com/blog.asp?p=1115

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    seemed like a very fair, and favorable, review.

ive always had issues with bangin the pedals (regardless of the bike), although i never blamed it on a low bottom bracket... just on my skills or lack thereof. i just keep pedaling regardless of where the rocks are. a recent purchase of a set of cb candy sl pedals lasted about 4 or 5 rides!

the only thing i really disagree with was the mention of the noticeable pedal bob while climbing... im at 210# w/o gear, dont use any propedal and dont have any problems with bob. i run fairly high pressure in both chambers (dont remembers the numbers) and love it.
    He said he was running lower pressures and a lot of sag.
    I notice some shock movement on the climbs, but not too excessive, and you
    can get out of the saddle on the rocky sections without it bobbing like a
    pogostick. I do use propedal on the longer climbs, though, I think it does help
    a little.

Spin-stabilized
    So is the XCL a 5" or 4.5" rear travel bike? Not that I'd notice the 1/2 inch difference anyway. Heck, I use a 3.5 inch travel bike for "all mountain" riding.

I can't wait for my XCL fund to go gold. Any custom colors available? I'm leaning towards black or the raspberry but the gray looks awesome (probably the best gray that I've seen in a bike). I have two gray bikes of different shades though. I swore that my next one will be a different color

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The '07 model is 5" rear travel. Works great with a Fox 32 TALAS.

Members who have read this thread: 0