X-Post Press Release: CHUMBA XCL Now Available with RP23 - Under 7lbs.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

X-Post Press Release: CHUMBA XCL Now Available with RP23 - Under 7lbs.

Anaheim, CA - The CHUMBA XCL now weighs 6.8lbs. with a Fox RP23, and only 6.2 lbs. without a shock. The liberal use of butted tubing allows for the frame to lose weight, putting it within a half pound of most of our competitors, but still retaining industry-leading lateral rigidity and strength. Also, CHUMBA is now offering a high-end light weight build kit, complete with XTR wheels, brakes, and drivetrain, while using a Fox Talas RLC for its front suspension. This light weight build kit should keep the bike around 26-28lbs.

A lot of consumers might misperceive the XCL as a “heavy” bike, but in actuality, the chassis is in the same weight class as our competitors, and the bike can be built up competitively light. Also, be on the lookout for a new titanium light weight hardware kit. For more information, please contact our sales team at 800-706-0760.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

6.8lbs

Is it as strong as the ones you have been selling?
    If so, I wish I waited. My three month old XCL with an RP23 weighs 7.71 lbs on one digital scale, and 7.73 on another.

I think that is the reason many consumers percieved it as a heavy bike. It was.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrimack Dave
    Is it as strong as the ones you have been selling?
    If so, I wish I waited. My three month old XCL with an RP23 weighs 7.71 lbs on one digital scale, and 7.73 on another.

I think that is the reason many consumers percieved it as a heavy bike. It was.
    Merri Dave

What size frame is that? Is that for the outsourced frame? My 2007 Large ano XCL weighed ~7.6 lbs with DHX air.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUMBAevo
    Anaheim, CA - The CHUMBA XCL now weighs 6.8lbs. with a Fox RP23, and only 6.2 lbs. without a shock. The liberal use of butted tubing allows for the frame to lose weight, putting it within a half pound of most of our competitors, but still retaining industry-leading lateral rigidity and strength. Also, CHUMBA is now offering a high-end light weight build kit, complete with XTR wheels, brakes, and drivetrain, while using a Fox Talas RLC for its front suspension. This light weight build kit should keep the bike around 26-28lbs.

A lot of consumers might misperceive the XCL as a “heavy” bike, but in actuality, the chassis is in the same weight class as our competitors, and the bike can be built up competitively light. Also, be on the lookout for a new titanium light weight hardware kit. For more information, please contact our sales team at 800-706-0760.

You obviously must believe that there is untapped demand for lighter XCLs. Great and congrats; this offering just gives the consumer more choice. I'll never understand the weight thing myself, however, especially when you're talking about +/- just a few pounds. IMHO, the best place to drop a pound or two is right off my ass, not my bike.

R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Merri Dave

What size frame is that? Is that for the outsourced frame? My 2007 Large ano XCL weighed ~7.6 lbs with DHX air.
    It is a medium outsourced model geo. I bought it July 30 from Bitterbrush cycles, but I think they sold me an earlier model than what is currently available. The decals are slightly different and the cable guides are welded on the wrong side of the top tube.
    Probably should have waited a little longer for the bugs to be worked out.

Trophy Husband
    It is a medium outsourced model geo. I bought it July 30 from Bitterbrush cycles, but I think they sold me an earlier model than what is currently available. The decals are slightly different and the cable guides are welded on the wrong side of the top tube.
    Probably should have waited a little longer for the bugs to be worked out.
    Hmm, sounds pre-production to me.

Oh well, not sure if you've posted on it before but how do you like it?

cheers
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Hmm, sounds pre-production to me.

Oh well, not sure if you've posted on it before but how do you like it?

cheers
    It is by far, the best bike I have ever ridden. Absolutely amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Well...here's my pic of a 2007 small XCL with a heavier shock

It had a DHX-Air...it wasn't an RP23 which is way lighter. The scale is guaranteed to be accurate, because it's mine and it cost $100. You're just going to have to take my word for it because any picture showing the frame and who's holding the scale...well, I don't have his permission to show his picture so I'm not going to. Anyway, that would work out to be just under 7 lbs for the medium with an RP23.

So...my math worked out to be a real burly 5" frame at just under 7 lbs. Not what I'd call a weightweenie frame but for what you get...well worth it. I never trust anybody's statements of what their frames weight (or their entire bikes, for that matter) because it's always either a guess or standing on their bathroom scale. Here it is, folks, an accurate scale with a DHX-Air. The XCL is in a class by itself, you just can't compare it to any other frame if all you're considering is weight. If I've offended anyone who says their same frame weighs different...well...

edit: here's an earlier thread about the same topic.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t=frame+weight
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

customized
    Sep 2003
    I can verify Merrimack Dave's frame weight on my digital alpine scale was indeed accurate, which I prersonally brought into work (I work in a calibration facility) and can verify is accurate within 20 grams. I also can verify the cable guides being backwards.

I'd be a little upset too if my new frame of a few months was one pound heavier than the current available frame. What really confuses me personally is that the XCL's seemed hard to find for a while. How did one bike shop end up with a pre-production model when the bike was so sought after in the most popular size? One that seems to be a big distributor as well.

I commend Chumba for using these forums as free advertising, they should just realize that when a customer decides on thier new frame within these forums and then releases something more desirable within months, that the customer might be annoyed.

I know Chumba is a standup company, I am sure they will put a good foot forward off the forums.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I can verify Merrimack Dave's frame weight on my digital alpine scale was indeed accurate, which I prersonally brought into work (I work in a calibration facility) and can verify is accurate within 20 grams. I also can verify the cable guides being backwards.

I'd be a little upset too if my new frame of a few months was one pound heavier than the current available frame. What really confuses me personally is that the XCL's seemed hard to find for a while. How did one bike shop end up with a pre-production model when the bike was so sought after in the most popular size? One that seems to be a big distributor as well.

I commend Chumba for using these forums as free advertising, they should just realize that when a customer decides on thier new frame within these forums and then releases something more desirable within months, that the customer might be annoyed.

I know Chumba is a standup company, I am sure they will put a good foot forward off the forums.
    Thanks for your comments. I can understand your position. This pre-production frame is heavier, and sometimes our dealers may be left with stocked inventory. The advantage is that the dealer will have good availability and will probably also offer discounts on items like these. That being said, I still ride a pre-production model that weighs in the high 7lbs., and I still love it and wouldn't think about changing it.

A.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    You obviously must believe that there is untapped demand for lighter XCLs. Great and congrats; this offering just gives the consumer more choice. I'll never understand the weight thing myself, however, especially when you're talking about +/- just a few pounds. IMHO, the best place to drop a pound or two is right off my ass, not my bike.

R
    I think that there is way too much being made of the xcl frame weight. Its not like it is a 10lb+ boat anchor. The descending prowess would/is much more important to me than a very slight climbing advantage of a frame that is one pound lighter or less. Oh well, if the extra butting makes it just as strong, then that works I guess.

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    they should just realize that when a customer decides on thier new frame within these forums and then releases something more desirable within months, that the customer might be annoyed.
    Ever bought a computer?

Okay, seriously, I can understand that sentiment. I hate it when I drop a couple hundred bucks on the new fangled e-gizmo of the day only to have a new one come out with more features the next week.

On the other hand, I think it's kind of cool that as soon as Chumba makes an improvement they roll it out to the consumer. I think as consumers we're sort of trained to expect new revisions with model years. Like cars. But that means the manufacturer can sit on an improvement for months just because they want something special for the new year/tradeshows.

But I say give us the goods as soon as they're ready.

Apr 2007

Nice

We like to pass on the technology on to our customer even if it is just a couple of grams.
    Just so you know. Chumba starts with the strongest frames in the industry then we trim the fat as needed to optimize the customers options of use with out compromising strength.
    We are always looking at ways to upgrade the frame that have already released.
    How many people would like to change over all of the Chumba hardware to titanium.
    Well we are working on making this happen. Our improvements are for the rider because we are riders. We understand.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your comments. I can understand your position. This pre-production frame is heavier, and sometimes our dealers may be left with stocked inventory. The advantage is that the dealer will have good availability and will probably also offer discounts on items like these. That being said, I still ride a pre-production model that weighs in the high 7lbs., and I still love it and wouldn't think about changing it.

A.
    Perhaps my beef should have been with Bitterbrush. They never told me it was a pre-production frame.
    When I decided to buy an XCL I was a little nervous that frame weights were kind of vague on this forum. I really wanted to lighten the load after dragging a 36 pound bike around for the last three years. But after reading a post by Dirt Dad stating that a medium with an RP23 was 7 pounds, I jumped. 3/4 of a pound may not seem like much to some people, but it is interesting to note that my burly 6" travel large size Azonic Saber frame weighs only 1/2 pound more.
    My Chumba weighs just over 32 pounds with heavy wheels and 2.35 Fat Albert tires, not bad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought my XCL from Bitterbrush also and the service was outstanding! Glen took the time to detail the differences between the US and outsourced versions. I decided to go with an outsourced frame and could not be happier. The bike absolutely thrives on the rocky/rooty terrain here in the northeast and climbs like a goat. The medium frame weighed in at 7.4lbs. with the DHX-air, I've since swapped it out for a PUSHed RP23. Total weight is now at 27.2lbs.

ROCK ON CHUMBA
    Mark

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    We are always looking at ways to upgrade the frame that have already released.
    How many people would like to change over all of the Chumba hardware to titanium.
    Well we are working on making this happen.
    Question... is there a performance/strength gain with this conversion or is it simply a weight weenie upgrade? What are the weight savings achieved by doing this? Just curious, I'd be interested in making the switch if the advantages justify the cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mad4mtnbike
    I bought my XCL from Bitterbrush also and the service was outstanding!
    I'm in total agreement, Glen at Bitterbrush Cycles is a stand up guy.
    When my XCL wears out, (which hopefully won't be for 3 or 4 years) I'll buy the lighter butted version from them too.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    On the other hand, I think it's kind of cool that as soon as Chumba makes an improvement they roll it out to the consumer. I think as consumers we're sort of trained to expect new revisions with model years. Like cars. But that means the manufacturer can sit on an improvement for months just because they want something special for the new year/tradeshows.

But I say give us the goods as soon as they're ready.
    Too bad Chumba was claiming 6-7 weights damn near a year ago, and they're finally hitting the market now.

Chumba should have got their crappp together on the XCL prior to hitting the market with a bunch of inconsistent frames, weights fluctate over a pound, cable stops all screwd up Where's the quality control?
    beaver hunt

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Too bad Chumba was claiming 6-7 weights damn near a year ago, and they're finally hitting the market now.

Chumba should have got their crappp together on the XCL prior to hitting the market with a bunch of inconsistent frames, weights fluctate over a pound, cable stops all screwd up Where's the quality control?
    Listen to this guy
    He must ride a Ventana.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Oh please.

Chumbas quality control is top notch. First year products usually have some sort of glitch and this is almost always evident with any bike company. Botique companies such as Turner and Ventana are not exempt in this category. No company is.The bottom line is that the vast majority of the frames seem to be just fine. Not a "bunch" as you have put it.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Chumbas quality control is top notch. .
    There's threads on how to drill out cables stops, how is that top notch

Not questioning the XCLs peformance, just Chumba's implementation.
    Pre-production frames should not be for sale with F'd up cable guides, and an extra 1/2+ pound of girth! There's no Ventana's or Turner's going out the door with such a variance.

Personally I would be raising hell with Chumba if I received one of these step child frames

Obviously, Merrimack Dave is too busy having fun, riding his new stead, but maybe over the winter Chumba should swap out his frame. That would be "TOP NOTCH".
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You are trolling here. The Bottom line is that first year run frames sometimes have glitches and most companies do make changes after the first year frame comes out. The new Turner RFX frame is around a pound lighter than the 6 pack it recently replaced. There are a lot of riders that have said, jeez, I wish I would have waited and got the new improved RFX after recently buying the old model. The first run Turner Highline had some problems with the rear triangle and this has been fixed with the second year run. Do you see the pattern here? It happens with many companies. I am not bagging on Turner either because they are a top notch company. Just a random example. I have heard about many, many examples of the same type of thing with other companies. THIS INCLUDES misplaced cable guides and heavier than published frame weights. It happens with many companies. Do a search on pretty much any board and you will see. Even with botique companies.

I have the first year Evo with the slack sa and I didn't complain when a year later a new front triangle with steeper geo was released. Why? BECAUSE I knew there would probably be changes to the second year model but I wanted to try the first year run. The onus is on me not Chumba. I could have bought another frame from any other company if I had chosen to.

Happy trolling.

mtbr member

Get our crap together? You should educate yourself before making these sweeping accusations. First, the frame weights weren't fluctuating "over a pound". The frames lost about a half pound when we went to butted tubing -- it happens. As for the cable stops, there was one reported incident on the XCL's pre-production out of all the bikes that went out. You want to talk quality control? We haven't had one failure yet on the XCL or EVO, go cruise the other forums and see how many failures you can find other bikes. As Ronny said, happy trolling.

the train keeps rollin
    Trollling, why becuase I think Chumba needs to improve their delivery?

XC-Guy has the same size frame, and it weighs at least a half pound lighter. Dave just got his frame a few months ago, was expecting a frame around 7lbs with RP23. It's nowhere close. It's an outsourced frame, it takes the outsourced derailleur hangers, So there's obviously some pre-production Taiwan frames on the market, either non butted, or with heavier tubbing, if I was dropping $1500 on a frame, it would be pretty damn salty to receive a PORKY Frame.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

Trollling, why becuase I think Chumba needs to improve their delivery?

XC-Guy has the same size frame, and it weighs at least a half pound lighter. Dave just got his frame a few months ago, was expecting a frame around 7lbs with RP23. It's nowhere close. It's an outsourced frame, it takes the outsourced derailleur hangers, So there's obviously some pre-production Taiwan frames on the market, either non butted, or with heavier tubbing, if I was dropping $1500 on a frame, it would be pretty damn salty to receive a PORKY Frame.
    How do you know he didn't get a deal? A lot of times, dealers will give special pricing in situations like these, if these things are disclosed beforehand or at time of purchase something could be worked out. Unfortunately, its impossible for us to watch over every sale, that all we can do is disclose what we know, and let the dealers handle distribution.

the train keeps rollin
    Get our crap together? You should educate yourself before making these sweeping accusations. First, the frame weights weren't fluctuating "over a pound". The frames lost about a half pound when we went to butted tubing -- it happens. As for the cable stops, there was one reported incident on the XCL's pre-production out of all the bikes that went out. You want to talk quality control? We haven't had one failure yet on the XCL or EVO, go cruise the other forums and see how many failures you can find other bikes. As Ronny said, happy trolling.
    Ok, so a customer asks and pays for a Taiwan built XCL, he does his research, Chumba quotes under 7lbs with RP23, he get's a frame that weighs close to 8lbs with RP23

So is it that Taiwan frames are just now hitting the market in the butted version? Haven't you been delivering Taiwan frames for 6+ months now? Were the early Taiwan frames not butted? This is what I'm talking about, it's like some big fricken BLACKHOLE when dealing with you guys.

I almost purchased XCL. I think for the price, the XCL is a ruler, but the who knows what I'm going to get factor, is a major downer
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What he said

You are trolling here. The Bottom line is that first year run frames sometimes have glitches and most companies do make changes after the first year frame comes out. The new Turner RFX frame is around a pound lighter than the 6 pack it recently replaced. There are a lot of riders that have said, jeez, I wish I would have waited and got the new improved RFX after recently buying the old model. The first run Turner Highline had some problems with the rear triangle and this has been fixed with the second year run. Do you see the pattern here? It happens with many companies. I am not bagging on Turner either because they are a top notch company. Just a random example. I have heard about many, many examples of the same type of thing with other companies. THIS INCLUDES misplaced cable guides and heavier than published frame weights. It happens with many companies. Do a search on pretty much any board and you will see. Even with boutique companies.

I have the first year Evo with the slack sa and I didn't complain when a year later a new front triangle with steeper geo was released. Why? BECAUSE I knew there would probably be changes to the second year model but I wanted to try the first year run. The onus is on me not Chumba. I could have bought another frame from any other company if I had chosen to.

Happy trolling.
    I'm sure whatever "problems" a Chumba owner might have will be addressed by the company. Going back and forth on this forum solves nothing.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

the train keeps rollin
    Chumba, I totally understand you can't control every sale. Just from my own research when shopping the XCL, it was very difficult to get to the bottom of frame weight. You guys told me one thing, verified weights from dealers and customers on MTBR told me another thing.

I think it's great you frames are now lighter. I think you guys hit the nail on the head with this design, and pricing, but need to do better on delivery. I don't think you should let you pre-production frames out on the market, my opinion, end of story..
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

Chumba, I totally understand you can't control every sale. Just from my own research when shopping the XCL, it was very difficult to get to the bottom of frame weight. You guys told me one thing, verified weights from dealers and customers on MTBR told me another thing.

I think it's great you frames are now lighter. I think you guys hit the nail on the head with this design, and pricing, but need to do better on delivery. I don't think you should let you pre-production frames out on the market, my opinion, end of story..
    Hey,

No worries, I understand where you are coming from. It is easy to identify pre-production frames, as they have different logos, but this problem is being blown way out of proportion, as there were only about 3 or 4 ever produced, and I still have 2 of them. : )

A.

mtbr member
    You are trolling here. The Bottom line is that first year run frames sometimes have glitches and most companies do make changes after the first year frame comes out. The new Turner RFX frame is around a pound lighter than the 6 pack it recently replaced. There are a lot of riders that have said, jeez, I wish I would have waited and got the new improved RFX after recently buying the old model. The first run Turner Highline had some problems with the rear triangle and this has been fixed with the second year run. Do you see the pattern here? It happens with many companies. I am not bagging on Turner either because they are a top notch company. Just a random example. I have heard about many, many examples of the same type of thing with other companies. THIS INCLUDES misplaced cable guides and heavier than published frame weights. It happens with many companies. Do a search on pretty much any board and you will see. Even with botique companies.

Happy trolling.

NOT the same! Two completely different frames and year dates here. You cant compare a pre and post production frame vs a 2006 and a 2007 model frame. Big difference. DT him self said before the 07's were out that there were changes to the new frames. Most of this was because the homers wanted changes. Your making statements that are not true as well. Lots of posts about people claiming that they should have waited for a 07 frame after buying an 06? Not true! In fact most guy's wanted the heavy duty RFX frames over the newer lighter frame.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    NOT the same! Two completely different frames and year dates here. You cant compare a pre and post production frame vs a 2006 and a 2007 model frame. Big difference. DT him self said before the 07's were out that there were changes to the new frames. Most of this was because the homers wanted changes. Your making statements that are not true as well. Lots of posts about people claiming that they should have waited for a 07 frame after buying an 06? Not true! In fact most guy's wanted the heavy duty RFX frames over the newer lighter frame.
    Actually, I am only re-stating what I heard from a few riders. Yes, DT did state that there was going to be changes to the 07. I never said he didn't. I have never made any statements that are not true here. I never stated a lot of posts were made either regarding this subject. I have read a few though. What I stated was that there were some riders that I heard from that wish they waited for the 07 version because it seemed improved over the 06. Thats all. Maybe I should not have said "lots" sorry. Heavy duty or not is besides the point. In fact, those that I heard from bought the 06 because of a huge price difference and not the burly factor. Lots of guys are flogging the 07 RFX with no ill effects. All I was doing was trying to draw a parallel here. Frame designs change and sometimes people wish they would have gotten the newer model instead or waited until it came out etc. etc.

I used to have a 6-pack it rocked. Maybe I shouldn't have used Turner as an example. Please don't hurt me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CHUMBAevo there were only about 3 or 4 ever produced, and I still have 2 of them. : )

A.[/QUOTE]

So it may be one of a kind?
    I'm liking it more every day.

the train keeps rollin
    So it may be one of a kind?
    I'm liking it more every day.
    Wait till you find the secret compartment under the down tube.. it's a drug runner bike,, there might be a 1/2 pound of peruvian flake down there
    beaver hunt

nerfherder
    Wait till you find the secret compartment under the down tube.. it's a drug runner bike,, there might be a 1/2 pound of peruvian flake down there
    This seems like a perfectly natural comment with your screen name and avatar.

Man, I hope we have a good winter this year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Good job!

Now youve got me wondering about the weight of my large butted 2007 XCL
    frame w/ dhx. Would 7.6 be a good estimate ? Anyway, it is a blast to ride.
    I do have to use propedal on long climbs. When the climbing gets real technical, though, I turn down the propedal and motor up. As long as I have the strength,
    the XCL will clean it. It seems like the bike naturally corrects even if you mistakenly take a line you didnt intend to. The lack of deflection compared to
    other bikes I've ridden is truly amazing. Even if she is a bit of a porker, its still
    the most fun bike Ive ever ridden.

Apr 2007

We always right out wrongs.

One problem out of all the frames we have sold is not bad. If you look into every other mfg you will see 100's of major problems recalls and broken frames. We have had a not one frame fail.
    Many of the people that ride DH in mud or do bmx / 4x style riding with our bike run full cables. Half of my bikes run full cable to the rear.
    Top notch is that we offered him a new frame knowing he picked it up from some whack job on the internet who wouldn't even tell him where he got it. Yeah that is legit.
    I knew it wasn't the buyers fault so after getting a little bit more info we offered him a new frame. You are quick to judge for not having any of the details. We don't need Trolls in here. This forum is for people to read about bikes and learn.

There's threads on how to drill out cables stops, how is that top notch

Not questioning the XCLs peformance, just Chumba's implementation.
    Pre-production frames should not be for sale with F'd up cable guides, and an extra 1/2+ pound of girth! There's no Ventana's or Turner's going out the door with such a variance.

Personally I would be raising hell with Chumba if I received one of these step child frames

Obviously, Merrimack Dave is too busy having fun, riding his new stead, but maybe over the winter Chumba should swap out his frame. That would be "TOP NOTCH".

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaJason
    You are quick to judge for not having any of the details. We don't need Trolls in here. This forum is for people to read about bikes and learn.
    Well, I researched the XCL. I have emails from you guys quoting weights back in early Spring. It seems to me your Taiwan built frames are finanlly rolling in at claimed weights, not the case from the earlier
    built Taiwan frames.

So answer this, Dave's frame is medium outsourced, shouldn't it be a butted version that weighs in the 6.8-7.2 pound range? There's several people on this site who purposely waited for Taiwan frames, to save weight, did they get a butted version close to your claimed weight?

You guys are touchy, someone challenges you, and they're a troll?

So, you took care of the frame with messed up cables stops. Well, Dave purchased his from Bitterbrush, not off the street, would you do the same for him? Not that he even gives a crap, would be nice 2 know you guys do make things right
    Last edited by snowdrifter; 11-06-2007 at 08:24 AM.
    beaver hunt

fried stuff with cheese
    Well, I researched the XCL. I have emails from you guys quoting weights back in early Spring. It seems to me your Taiwan built frames are finanlly rolling in at claimed weights, not the case from the earlier
    built Taiwan frames.

So answer this, Dave's frame is medium outsourced, shouldn't it be a butted version that weighs in the 6.8-7.2 pound range? There's several people on this site who purposely waited for Taiwan frames, to save weight, did they get a butted version close to your claimed weight?

You guys are touchy, someone challenges you, and they're a troll?

So, you took care of the frame with messed up cables stops. Well, Dave purchased his from Bitterbrush, not off the street, would you do the same for him? Not that he even gives a crap, would be nice 2 know you guys do make things right
    Like "V-Train" said, Dave probably doesn't care as he's rocking the fock out of that bike, but if it is such an isolated incident (correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like there are only a couple of these bikes out there) and Chumba wants to make sure all problems are taken care of I think offering some kind of swap out would be a great gesture. Dave may not even take you up on it but it would probably be worth it's weight (pun intended) in gold as far as showing goodwill to those interested in the brand. My 2 cents.
    Egg

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Locotiki
    Like "V-Train" said, Dave probably doesn't care as he's rocking the fock out of that bike, but if it is such an isolated incident (correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like there are only a couple of these bikes out there) and Chumba wants to make sure all problems are taken care of I think offering some kind of swap out would be a great gesture. Dave may not even take you up on it but it would probably be worth it's weight (pun intended) in gold as far as showing goodwill to those interested in the brand. My 2 cents.
    I hear crickets chirping..

Suddenly the Chumba guys are MIA from this thread
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I hear crickets chirping..

Suddenly the Chumba guys are MIA from this thread
    Not surprising given that much of this thread has been like watching ants in the bottom of a cup. They must love the helpful suggestions that they "swap out" an old "heavy" frame with a new "light" frame just because a customer did not happen to get the latest and greatest available. Geez, I'm glad I don't have to deal with the general public.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    Not surprising given that much of this thread has been like watching ants in the bottom of a cup. They must love the helpful suggestions that they "swap out" an old "heavy" frame with a new "light" frame just because a customer did not happen to get the latest and greatest available. Geez, I'm glad I don't have to deal with the general public.
    Frame is not old, it was purchased a few months ago from a Chumba Dealer, and was suppose to be the lightweight butted version. The customer purposely purchased an "outsourced" aka Taiwanese frame, as he was under the assumption it would be significantly lighter. This is what Chumba has been communicating, Taiwan frames would be butted, and save weight, they've stated this countless times.

Hmmm, Chumba swapped out an old frame, that was purchased 2nd hand, with no sales history. Why wouldn't they do the same for Dave He did his research, paid market price through an authorized dealer, should have received one of the new under 7lb pound frames
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Snowdrifter,

We don't want to rehash this same issue over and over on the internet; as always, our customers are always welcome to come to us and talk about any issues - we just ask to give us a call as we have a lot going on, and it is easier for us to talk over the phone - as we are sometimes not able to frequent the forums as often as we'd like.

the train keeps rollin
    Done deal..
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Hello Fellow Chumbets

Getting back to one of the original topics of this thread, the proposed Titanium kit. I would like to here more about it, mainly what if any (Wieght aside) differences in "feel" / performance there might be perceprice projection, availability and the like.

Elitest thrill junkie
    wow, 7lbs and 5" of travel light am-bike, that's almost competative with this 6.5" travel heavy-am/light FR bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jayem; 11-17-2007 at 01:46 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    wow, 7lbs and 5" of travel, that's almost competative!
    I have owned both brands and Chumba is more than competitive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah I have to say that the chumba is at least as good if not better than the turner and a lot less money. Come on that turner is just a faux bar

I'm living the dream!
    wow, 7lbs and 5" of travel light am-bike, that's almost competative with this 6.5" travel heavy-am/light FR bike!
    Are things so slow between you and the Ells that you have to bring your "hater" attitude to our forum?

I mean really, if you don't own a Chumba and aren't researching to buy one, why come here at all?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I'll gladly ride the Chumba just to keep from being associated with the typical Turner riding jackhole.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    At what point did the new lighter frames become available? i.e. A frame ordered after x date is the lighter frame.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith0193
    At what point did the new lighter frames become available? i.e. A frame ordered after x date is the lighter frame.
    It's Top Secret. If they told you, all the people with 8lb frames would have to kill you
    beaver hunt

Members who have read this thread: 0