Wtf?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wtf?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wtf?

Goliath is really reaching here to look for ways to pick fights with David. I hope Mtn Cycle stands up to them and wins.

Specialized Goes after Mountain Cycle over Stumptown Name

FEBRUARY 02, 2006 -- PORTLAND, OR (BRAIN)—When Portland-based Kinesis USA launched a Mountain Cycle cyclocross bike equally adept at racing, single-speed use and commuting, they hardly anticipated that Specialized would have a problem with the name choice: Stumptown.

Kinesis tried to capture Portland’s core bicycle culture by using the city’s own Stumptown moniker, a popular reference to downtown Portland.

In Portland, local residents in need of a java fix don’t turn to Seattle’s Starbucks, but their own Stumptown Coffee Roasters. The comic convention is called the Stumptown Comics Fest. And Eugene Snyder wrote a popular history book, Early Portland: Stumptown Triumphant.

“So far they have not filed any thing, but they are strongly insisting that we cease and desist using the name because it causes consumer confusion with Stumpjumper,” said Michael Nover, Kinesis USA’s president.

At this point Kinesis intends to continue using its Stumptown name, which it has since model year 2003, because of its aptness for Portland. Specialized so far is not commenting on the issue.
    I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I could see the name was StumpJump or something like that but since it's StumpTown and actually refers to the town the bikes are made in, there's no reason to 'go after them' as they say. I would doubt they go through with a law suite but one never knows. I think they would lose a little bizness if they did.

Just my worthless .02.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Maybe consumer letters to Specialized are in order?

Something to the effect of leave Kinesis alone or we'll buy our bikes, gloves, tires, tubes, shoes, etc elsewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0