Wotan on an XCL- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wotan on an XCL

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wotan on an XCL

Hey Everyone. I'm thinking about upgrading my talas 32 on my XCL to a TA fork. Of course Im thinking about a Pike Air as they're fairly cheap but I kinda am throwing around the idea of a Magura Wotan. How much would the Wotan affect the handling and what does everyone think about the weight gain of 1.5lbs from my talas.

Trophy Husband
    I ran a 36 Talas on my XCL. I usually used the middle position (130mm)...it was a singletrack slayer in that position. I'd use 160mm when things got rough. I liked it. The weight is a non issue for me as I was coming from a 43 lb trailbike before the XCL.

I'm not too familiar with the Wotan, but doesn't it have only two travel positions? It would rake it out a bit...but not as much as the Talas in 160mm.

Wotan a2c = 540mm, Talas a2c = 545mm

What kind of riding are you doing with it?
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just do basic trail riding but Im kinda heavy (185) and not the smoothest rider, and I'm starting to get into some jumps and drop-offs now. Nothing big though.

I'm on fire.
    Just my opinion, but the Woton is a big fork that you really don't need for basic trail riding and drops of less than 3'. If you've got the 140 TALAS, I can't think of a better fork to have on there for that type of riding. But unnecessary upgrades are always fun, and I'll buy your TALAS for $200 if you want to unload it
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I'm kinda bigger (210 or so) and the 32 TALAS RLC works fine for me. I'm using the Chumba 9 mm thru-axle wheel. It's plenty rigid enough for trail riding. I can't say about jumps and dropoffs though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm thinking more along the lines of $425 if I sell my talas. It's a $600 fork and I've only had it for 4 months and under 150 miles so it's still very new and in perfect working condition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How about a Push'd Pike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is probably what I'm going to end up with if I make the change just because it's so much cheaper and seems to fit the bike better.

Members who have read this thread: 0