Widest tires for the 660 frame?- Mtbr.com
    pedal pusher

Widest tires for the 660 frame?

I can't find info on this anywhere, so could a current 660 owner let me know the widest tire that can be fit on the rear?

mtbr member
    It really depends on who's making the tires, but I'd say 2.1 - 2.2 would be the max I feel comfortable running. I'm running Kenda Nev 2.1 on the rear and a 2.35 of the front. The 2.35 actually fit but there isn't much breathing room. The Nev's are a true 2.1 tire. I'm pretty happy with them.

There was another thread a while back and someone tested a bunch of tires. I'll try to dig it up later tonight.

--Mark

Apr 2007

That depends... But 2.1 in. seems to be the max.

The rim also has a great influence on the actual tyre width.

I have done some experiments with my ZION 660EBB frame; see the attached pics. There might be some difference between the regular 660 and the 660EBB frame on this....

Details:

• Schwalbe Albert, nominal 26x2,25 in. ETRTO 559-57, with a ZAC 19 rim with about 1 in. /26 mm width. The max. tyre width is about 56 mm /2.2 in. There is about 1/10 in./ 2mm clearance; which I consider insufficient

• Schwalbe Big Jim UST, nominal 26x 2,25", ETRTO 559-57; with a MAVIC XM819 UST rim. Max. Tyre width is about 2.09 in./53 mm - This results in about 1/6 in. / 3 to 4 mm clearance; which seems marginally ok to me

I ended up with some Schwalbe LITTLE ALBERT UST 26 x 2.10 SnakeSkin, nominal size 26 x 2.10 in (54-559) - which turns out to be about 2.05 in. / 52mm wide.

UST tubeless allows very low pressure rides even for a 175 pounds guy like me; I like the additional comfort.

I have also been given recommendations on a MAXXIS Larsen 2.3 in; but have not tried this...

As posted earlier, I consider the tyre clearance as a weakness of the ZION frames; and have sent an email to Jenson about this. So, fatties do not fit at all

Cheers,

Der Schlappmacher
    Attached Images Attached Images

pedal pusher
    Thanks for the pics. Yeah, that's a huge weakness of the frame. I've gotten to really like my Kenda Kinetics 2.35 and wouldn't bother buying a frame that wouldn't fit them. In fact, the wider the better, and 2.1 isn't enough in my opinion. I guess I'll keep focused on the On One 456 instead.

mtbr member

This may help.

Do a mtbr "forums" search for "posts by Earth Pig". You will see pic's of tires he tried in his 660 frame.
    Hope this helps!
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    ah thanks Dave, that was the one I was looking for.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=219361

mtbr member
    Good point, never gave rim width much thought. But I can see how that would effect over all tire width.

The tire clearance issue has been around on the Zion frames since before the 660, it turns a lot of people away from the frame. I'd love to be able to run 2.35 Kenda nev's on the rear. --Mark

Quote Originally Posted by schlappmacher
    The rim also has a great influence on the actual tyre width.

I have done some experiments with my ZION 660EBB frame; see the attached pics. There might be some difference between the regular 660 and the 660EBB frame on this....

As posted earlier, I consider the tyre clearance as a weakness of the ZION frames; and have sent an email to Jenson about this. So, fatties do not fit at all

Cheers,

Der Schlappmacher

Members who have read this thread: 0