Whyte46 info/opinions- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Whyte46 info/opinions

I'm considering buying a Whyte46 (05 model)and everything I've read so far has been more than positive,however I've been unable as yet to get a test ride due to all the 05 models being sold including the demo bikes looks like I'll have to wait till October for the 06 models,I'd appreciate any opinions and info from anyone who's lived with one or anyone who has info or opinions that could be relevent including 04 model,I know its related to Marin bikes due to Jon Whyte being the contracted Marin designer,however there are many differences eg Maverick fork,big gripper dropouts,Hope M4's,custom tubed frame with different geometry,Custom valved Fox propedal shock,etc etc etc,thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 856er; 08-30-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Jul 2005
    that looks just like a Marin bike to me!

mtbr member

What do you want it for?

A few friends have/have had them. General consensus is they're a great trail/enduro bike, but a bit light'n' flexy if you like to push the limits a bit/ride hard/are a bit of a biffer. Whyte also don't recommend using it for anything more than 4' drops, which (in my view) kind of defeats the point of a 6" travel bike.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    that looks just like a Marin bike to me!
    As the designer for Marin is Jon Whyte (Ex F1 suspension designer for one Michael Schumacher ) it would look a bit odd if his designs for his own bike differed greatly,it would be like I designed you a bike but I'm keeping all the best designs for myself,
    now I know they look similar but the difference is in the detail,so theres a choice,mass produced Marin (nothing wrong with that,superb bikes) or the limitedly produced Whytes with the extra details and spec which in the end are aimed at a different market anyway, in the end I know which one I'd go for,but your right at first glance it looks like a Marin but when you get into the detail there very different machines indeed .

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    A few friends have/have had them. General consensus is they're a great trail/enduro bike, but a bit light'n' flexy if you like to push the limits a bit/ride hard/are a bit of a biffer. Whyte also don't recommend using it for anything more than 4' drops, which (in my view) kind of defeats the point of a 6" travel bike.
    Thanks that the sort of info I'm after ,as I'm after a single track/trail/enduro bike its sounding ideal,now do you know if they really are sub 28lbs, you say they're light (which I like) but are they as light as claimed ?? also have any of you friends had any reliabilty issues and were they sorted,is backup any good,this mainly regarding the 05 model,
    thanks in advance.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 856er
    Thanks that the sort of info I'm after ,as I'm after a single track/trail/enduro bike its sounding ideal,now do you know if they really are sub 28lbs, you say they're light (which I like) but are they as light as claimed ?? also have any of you friends had any reliabilty issues and were they sorted,is backup any good,this mainly regarding the 05 model,
    thanks in advance.
    with a DC fork and that huge rear stay? I doubt it...

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    with a DC fork and that huge rear stay? I doubt it...
    Hmmmm that means all the tests I've read, 3 UK mags, 1 Austrailian mag, 2 online tests have all weighed it wrong , though that huge Maverick fork does only weigh 3.5Lbs
    I just wondered how close to the claimed weight is it eg 28.5Lbs or 27.5Lbs etc I really don't doubt the claimed weight to be close to actual I'm just curious to get the facts,the sort of info Jon has given has confirmed much that I've read,just need to get a test ride when 1 becomes available

Jul 2005
    Bloody hell now he's just launched the E-5,
    26Lbs, 5" front and rear ,VPP etc etc,begining to think this may suit me better
    just gonna have to test them both
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Good but flawed

I'm considering buying a Whyte46 (05 model)and everything I've read so far has been more than positive,however I've been unable as yet to get a test ride due to all the 05 models being sold including the demo bikes looks like I'll have to wait till October for the 06 models,I'd appreciate any opinions and info from anyone who's lived with one or anyone who has info or opinions that could be relevent including 04 model,I know its related to Marin bikes due to Jon Whyte being the contracted Marin designer,however there are many differences eg Maverick fork,big gripper dropouts,Hope M4's,custom tubed frame with different geometry,Custom valved Fox propedal shock,etc etc etc,thanks in advance.
    856er - I owned an 04 46 and a 05 46. I got the 05 frame due to a wrongly machined Alpine link that damaged my frame (yes, I was the guy that found it). In all I had a 46 for over 12 months, I'm not a pro rider but I feel that I got to know the bike very well.

The bike as a whole is superb but it has a few flaws that IMHO need to be addressed by Whyte. I'll address the flaws first.

The forks, when working, are superb and I havent found another fork to even compare to it in terms of bump-eating performance and grip. The downside? Reliability. Mine went back 3 times, the last time it needed a new air spring. Not only that but you cant just go out and buy a new set of wheels because the fork uses a proprietry hub. New hubs from King and Hope are compatible but are they strong enough?

Without the Alpine link the bike had a near 15" bottom bracket without anyone aboard.. 15"! That is way too high for a 6" travel bike and you'll notice it in slow, twisty corners. I ran 40% sag just to bring it down to a comfortable height. This then brought problems of its own. When stopping on steep hills, as soon as you un-weight the back end it rises and I had quite a few nasty experiences of the bike trying to push me over the bars. The high bottom bracket did give good confidence on rocky trials but for me it didnt give confidence on corners and I go round more corners than through rock gardens.

The next thing I noticed is the long back end. Without anyone aboard I measured the chainstay as 17.5". Normally this wouldnt be a problem but due to the design of the suspension and the wheelpath as a result, the chainstay length actually increases throughout the length of the travel. To say the front was so light I found it very hard to wheelie or manual the 46. This is probably due to the sag I was running but it became a big problem as I became a better rider and asked more questions of the bike. Have a look at the Whyte website and you'll notice that there are no measurements for the chainstay length.

Now to the good bits. If you want a bike that will eat anything you put in front of it and still be light enough to fly up the hills then take a good look at the 46. The grip that this bike generates truly is astounding. I never washed out or lost traction on the rear end and the climbing grip was superb. I'm comparing it to the 5spot I own now and for me the 46 wins hands down when it comes to climbing. The only problem with this endless feeling travel and loads of grip is that you can feel somewhat detatched from the trail. It's only since moving to a Pike fork and PUSH tuned Vanilla r'd 5spot that I've felt "in contatct" with the floor. I must admit that the 5spot outshines the 46 when it starts getting rough and it is a much more involving ride.

If you want a good, light 6" travel trail bike then I'd look closely at the 46 but I'd also look at the new Giant Reign, the Scott Ransom, the Specialized Enduro and a whole host of other bikes that fall into the same price range and riding "tag".

I'm not trying to put you off the 46, it is a great bike but for me, in short, it was too high and too long. Its more of a ride all day comfortable rock muncher than a twisty singletrack speed demon.

Hope this helps.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

Jul 2005
    Thanks MagnumPI
    Thats great info much appreciated, must admit I'm begining to look more seriously at the E-5,I do a lot of climbing and I want an all day bike but a local trail I also use is mainly single track with fast tight corners and short steep climbs lots of roots and some bumpy fast decents,
    gonna just have to test them both,to be honest I've looked at other bikes but apart from the Scott Ransom (abit heavy at just shy of 30Lbs)and the Genius MC range nothing else appeals to me (apart from some Marin's but thats obvious but prefer the Whytes),did I not read about your Alpine link fault on the Bike Magic website???must admit on reading some owners comments they said the suspension was too good,didn't think I'd ever hear that said,
    thanks again most helpfull

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Yeah that was me.

Thanks MagnumPI, did I not read about your Alpine link fault on the Bike Magic website???
    That was me 856er.

They machined them wrongly and it damaged the swingarm. Superb customer service though and I got a 05 frame out of it.

I'd look at the E5 then instead of the 46.

The Whyte is close to 30lb you know. Its only because of the tyres and wheels (both of them too flimsy for really hard riding) that it's below 30lb really. I had UST rims and tyres on so mine was well over 30lb but they ride really light.

Its just the BB height and chainstay length that really bothered me. It never struck me until afterwards that neither of these 2 measurement are listed on the website.

Like I said, at that price range there are plenty of others but the E5 sounds the best for you. I know if they lower and shorten the 46 and then get rid of the travel adjuster then I'll seriously be looking at the 46 again.

Happy shopping anyway.
    I don't care if I'm the last to the top and the last to the bottom. Just as long as I look damn good doing it!

mtbr member
    A thought here... the chainstay length on the 46 is the same as the SC Nomad... the bottom bracket height is also the same as the Nomad when the Whyte is fitted with the Alpine Link...

lots of folks believe the Alpine Link should be standard rather than the shorter original... whatever...

I have owned a few bikes over the years... nothing comes close to the versatility of the Whyte 46... I did a 24hr 2 weeks ago running 4inches during the day and 6inches at night ... though the front was 6in all the time except on the steeper twistier uphills... and a quick flick of the wrist I had 2in less bar height and 2degress more head angle... my bike weighed 28lbs... I could have got it lighter with skinny tyres etc...

I generally do aggressive XC/all mountain and love the DUC32 forks... light, supple, stiff. The frame is stiff as... it is a welded monocoque! hell guys, to get the same strength in Easton Tubing the frame would weigh dam near 9lbs.

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Panda
    A thought here... the chainstay length on the 46 is the same as the SC Nomad... the bottom bracket height is also the same as the Nomad when the Whyte is fitted with the Alpine Link...

lots of folks believe the Alpine Link should be standard rather than the shorter original... whatever...

I have owned a few bikes over the years... nothing comes close to the versatility of the Whyte 46... I did a 24hr 2 weeks ago running 4inches during the day and 6inches at night ... though the front was 6in all the time except on the steeper twistier uphills... and a quick flick of the wrist I had 2in less bar height and 2degress more head angle... my bike weighed 28lbs... I could have got it lighter with skinny tyres etc...

I generally do aggressive XC/all mountain and love the DUC32 forks... light, supple, stiff. The frame is stiff as... it is a welded monocoque! hell guys, to get the same strength in Easton Tubing the frame would weigh dam near 9lbs.
    Thanks for info,
    I did get one in the end, love it.
    You want to have a look on the All mountain forum for discussions on this bike
    and others.

mtbr member
    What are you talking about when you mention the Alpine link?
    Is some kind of longer link than the original Quad-link?

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanotron
    What are you talking about when you mention the Alpine link?
    Is some kind of longer link than the original Quad-link?
    Yes,
    replaces the front link,will also fit marin quad-link bikes.
    have a read here

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4164/v/2/sp/

Members who have read this thread: 0