Thread: Whyte Bikes

mtbr member

Whyte Bikes

Any Whyte bike riders hanging around here?

British site
    U.S. site
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    I tried to be but the US dealer is out of bikes and the UK guys had no interest in helping me out so I'm going to be riding a Norco instead.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Which model? I just ordered a T-130 (U.S.), arrives Monday. Direct sales savings, no shipping and no tax.

mtbr member
    905 in the US but nothing available. The dealer offered to see if he could get a 909 shipped from the UK, which looks amazing but was too far over my budget. I also begged both US and UK for a frame only option but no go on that which sucks. And no 905's in UK either.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    905 in the US but nothing available. The dealer offered to see if he could get a 909 shipped from the UK, which looks amazing but was too far over my budget. I also begged both US and UK for a frame only option but no go on that which sucks. And no 905's in UK either.
    I hear that's a nice riding hard tail. And the Revelation fork is getting good reviews.

mtbr member
    Received the new T-130 S! Have a few miles on it, and am VERY happy. The 130mm it has is put to good use, and feels like there's more than that available. The bike has a very solid feel to it. It likes to climb steep technical stuff (rocky rooty steps), and likes to drop that stuff as well, making it easier than it is. And surprisingly (for me anyway), this is a fast bike too. It's right at home leaning deep into fast turns, and accelerates like a 26". The front end is light enough to pull up when needed, but doesn't when you don't want it to. It never feels like it's wondering. The only thing I may change are its SRAM brakes. They feel under powered for what this rig is capable of. I think maybe, though, that has more to do with being used to XT brakes, and prefer the tight modulation (on/off feel) that XT's have. SRAM brakes have more modulation. Neither is bad or good, just a difference in preference. Thus is the first bike I've jumped on that was new to me, but after just a few minutes, felt like I've been riding it for years. Very easy to ride. The T-130 truly is a 'do it all' trail bike. From slow rock crawling, to fast XC, to long gradual climbs, to coming back down fast an gnarly, it's very much at home and really instills rider confidence.

A couple of things that strike me about the Whyte without looking for it, and never really has on other bikes, is it has a feel of quality. Fit and finish is really good. And it's a very quiet bike. Except for the coasting cassette, there's no noise of any kind on any kind of terrain.

Great job Whyte!

mtbr member
    I bought an S-150 S back in April. I considered a number of bikes, and narrowed my list down to the S-150, Jeffsy and a handful of hardtails. I was able to demo most of them at Sea Otter, and bought the S-150 a few days later.

I picked the bike up at their demo center/shop, and had them install a Wolf Tooth dropper lever before I took delivery. Otherwise, it's mostly stock. Aside from the rear hub (too much slack in the engagement, and too noisy for me), I'm happy with build.

The trails I typically ride are about 5-7 miles from my house, so I do plenty of road work. The bob on the flats is (surprisingly) minimal, if I keep the shock's compression damping on high. The bike climbs and descends well enough for me. The only gripe I can come up with about the ride (and it's minor) is tight turns. On paper, it's a long bike, and it feels like it in tight switchbacks. But, that's rarely been a significant issue for me.

Overall, I'm really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Leave A Mark View Post
    I bought an S-150 S back in April. I considered a number of bikes, and narrowed my list down to the S-150, Jeffsy and a handful of hardtails. I was able to demo most of them at Sea Otter, and bought the S-150 a few days later.

I picked the bike up at their demo center/shop, and had them install a Wolf Tooth dropper lever before I took delivery. Otherwise, it's mostly stock. Aside from the rear hub (too much slack in the engagement, and too noisy for me), I'm happy with build.

The trails I typically ride are about 5-7 miles from my house, so I do plenty of road work. The bob on the flats is (surprisingly) minimal, if I keep the shock's compression damping on high. The bike climbs and descends well enough for me. The only gripe I can come up with about the ride (and it's minor) is tight turns. On paper, it's a long bike, and it feels like it in tight switchbacks. But, that's rarely been a significant issue for me.

Overall, I'm really happy with it.
    My T-130 has a good bit of rear hub slack as well, but not an issue for me, and nor much different than my other bikes at the same component level. I can deal with it with timing.
    Maybe a hub/pawl upgrade when things wear out will be in order.

I wondered how the 150 would be on tighter trails. The trails I frequent tend to have their share of tight turns, so the 130 is right at home here.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Any Whyte bike riders hanging around here?

British site
    U.S. site
    T-130 bump!😎👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Glad you guys are all stoked on the bikes! They are fun bikes! If you know anyone looking for a T-130.. they are all on sale now!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyte Bikes USA View Post
    Glad you guys are all stoked on the bikes! They are fun bikes! If you know anyone looking for a T-130.. they are all on sale now!
    Iíve been in establishment and contact with Justin. 😎👍

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes this is Justin..

NedwannaB
    Busted! Hah....

mtbr member
    Yes they are fun! Playful. And literally everyone that jumps on my 130 has said they feel like they know the bike like they've been riding it for a while. And they all say it climbs and accelerates like a rocket. Love the short chain stay/long reach feel. Low, stable, fast and confident. This has been the only bike I've ridden that is both very good at blasting rowdy stuff, as well as slow rock crawling. Whyte nailed the geometry.

Tell the guys in the U.K. to get some t-shirts to the U.S.! We need to spread the word!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Anyone else have a S-150, its on my list of considerations along with Jeffsy and the new unreviewed Commencal TR 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They offer a 30 day money back guarantee.. in case the bike does not work for you

Rocks belong
    What's up with the rear brake on the S-150?

1) I've never seen that style of caliper adapter
    2) A 170mm rotor? I didn't know ANYONE made one of those?

I want to run 180mm rear - but don't actually know how. I tried to reach out via Whyte bikes usa chat and got crickets.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Take a look at new S-150 S spec. It shows 180mm rotors front and back, 200mm front for L/XL.

https://www.whyte.bike/new-s150s/

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by gratulin View Post
    Take a look at new S-150 S spec. It shows 180mm rotors front and back, 200mm front for L/XL.

https://www.whyte.bike/new-s150s/
    That's the UK site. Checkout the USA site:

https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/s-150-s

Rear Brakes SRAM Level TL, 170mm Rotor (180mm on the XL), Internal Routing
    WTF is a 170mm rotor?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's the UK site. Checkout the USA site:

https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/s-150-s

WTF is a 170mm rotor?
    I realise it is UK site but I think it is new 2019 model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Saw the add posted on the site, never heard of this bike but they look really nice. Have to keep my eye out for them on sale 150mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    With the new S-120 coming, is this only going to be a Carbon option or will they do like they've done with the S-150 and offer a Aluminum option also?
    This bike checks more boxes for me than the 150, ideally I'm looking for a 120/130 travel bike for most the terrain I ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi!

Yes we are coming out with with S-120 aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Groovy, is there and ETA or anything?

NedwannaB
    Was in yesterday brought in a couple new patrons and I was looking at the Ď19 t130sr were you off on a slacker ride?😳

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Have the S-120's started shipping yet? Numbers look great on paper, but can't find any ride reports.

Also, PLEASE offer a frame only option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the frame only option. All the direct sale folks are doing it (Intense, Fezzari).

If you made the S120 a frame only option I'd place my order today, otherwise I'm looking at stripping a bike and selling parts which kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Have the S-120's started shipping yet? Numbers look great on paper, but can't find any ride reports.

Also, PLEASE offer a frame only option.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Funny this comes up. I was trying to get some info on a bike I recently saw for sale on Facebook Marketplace. R7 Hybrid model.
    I got the feeling based on our exchange over messenger, his lack of knowledge and detail, and the relatively iffy quality of the pictures and backdrop (who takes 'beauty shots' of an expensive bike to be used as sales photos in a kid's playroom at night and gets all that angles cut off or wrong?!) that the bike was "hot".
    Normally I wouldn't pass up on a deal, but conversely I'm not into helping further potential pain so I declined. Great looking bikes though.

http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C71825D.jpg
    http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C6415B9.jpg
    http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C63E30D.jpg

Whyte Bikes-46288114_10158115391939698_3947617661386489856_n.jpg_nc_cat108_nc_htscontent-iad3-1.xxoh9506eaab.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Any idea when out of stock models at whyteusa.bike will be available again?

I'm considering a new bike and Whyte was in the running as one of my top choices, but it looks like they're/you're out of stock in my size. And maybe even worse, it looks like whyte.bike doesn't show any in stock either, so I'm not sure any more will come back in stock in a reasonable timeframe.

If I was looking to buy after the new year hits, do you think that it is likely that they will be in stock again?

EDIT: Also, I see on the US site that it says that if you do not have the ability to get to one of their demo locations, that you should email them. Has anyone done this, or know how it works?

I'd love to throw a leg over the bike I want before buying it, even if they do have the 30 day return thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just call the usa distributor--they are in fairfax california-----good group from my interactions and no one on this forum will have better info

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I actually emailed them about it on Monday, I just haven't heard back yet, so I thought I'd check here as well, just in case,as it seems like they monitor this thread.

Maybe on Monday I'll call them instead. Thanks for the tip .