Whyte Bikes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whyte Bikes

mtbr member

Whyte Bikes

Any Whyte bike riders hanging around here?

British site
    U.S. site
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    I tried to be but the US dealer is out of bikes and the UK guys had no interest in helping me out so I'm going to be riding a Norco instead.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Which model? I just ordered a T-130 (U.S.), arrives Monday. Direct sales savings, no shipping and no tax.

mtbr member
    905 in the US but nothing available. The dealer offered to see if he could get a 909 shipped from the UK, which looks amazing but was too far over my budget. I also begged both US and UK for a frame only option but no go on that which sucks. And no 905's in UK either.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    905 in the US but nothing available. The dealer offered to see if he could get a 909 shipped from the UK, which looks amazing but was too far over my budget. I also begged both US and UK for a frame only option but no go on that which sucks. And no 905's in UK either.
    I hear that's a nice riding hard tail. And the Revelation fork is getting good reviews.

mtbr member
    Received the new T-130 S! Have a few miles on it, and am VERY happy. The 130mm it has is put to good use, and feels like there's more than that available. The bike has a very solid feel to it. It likes to climb steep technical stuff (rocky rooty steps), and likes to drop that stuff as well, making it easier than it is. And surprisingly (for me anyway), this is a fast bike too. It's right at home leaning deep into fast turns, and accelerates like a 26". The front end is light enough to pull up when needed, but doesn't when you don't want it to. It never feels like it's wondering. The only thing I may change are its SRAM brakes. They feel under powered for what this rig is capable of. I think maybe, though, that has more to do with being used to XT brakes, and prefer the tight modulation (on/off feel) that XT's have. SRAM brakes have more modulation. Neither is bad or good, just a difference in preference. Thus is the first bike I've jumped on that was new to me, but after just a few minutes, felt like I've been riding it for years. Very easy to ride. The T-130 truly is a 'do it all' trail bike. From slow rock crawling, to fast XC, to long gradual climbs, to coming back down fast an gnarly, it's very much at home and really instills rider confidence.

A couple of things that strike me about the Whyte without looking for it, and never really has on other bikes, is it has a feel of quality. Fit and finish is really good. And it's a very quiet bike. Except for the coasting cassette, there's no noise of any kind on any kind of terrain.

Great job Whyte!

mtbr member
    I bought an S-150 S back in April. I considered a number of bikes, and narrowed my list down to the S-150, Jeffsy and a handful of hardtails. I was able to demo most of them at Sea Otter, and bought the S-150 a few days later.

I picked the bike up at their demo center/shop, and had them install a Wolf Tooth dropper lever before I took delivery. Otherwise, it's mostly stock. Aside from the rear hub (too much slack in the engagement, and too noisy for me), I'm happy with build.

The trails I typically ride are about 5-7 miles from my house, so I do plenty of road work. The bob on the flats is (surprisingly) minimal, if I keep the shock's compression damping on high. The bike climbs and descends well enough for me. The only gripe I can come up with about the ride (and it's minor) is tight turns. On paper, it's a long bike, and it feels like it in tight switchbacks. But, that's rarely been a significant issue for me.

Overall, I'm really happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by That'll Leave A Mark View Post
    I bought an S-150 S back in April. I considered a number of bikes, and narrowed my list down to the S-150, Jeffsy and a handful of hardtails. I was able to demo most of them at Sea Otter, and bought the S-150 a few days later.

I picked the bike up at their demo center/shop, and had them install a Wolf Tooth dropper lever before I took delivery. Otherwise, it's mostly stock. Aside from the rear hub (too much slack in the engagement, and too noisy for me), I'm happy with build.

The trails I typically ride are about 5-7 miles from my house, so I do plenty of road work. The bob on the flats is (surprisingly) minimal, if I keep the shock's compression damping on high. The bike climbs and descends well enough for me. The only gripe I can come up with about the ride (and it's minor) is tight turns. On paper, it's a long bike, and it feels like it in tight switchbacks. But, that's rarely been a significant issue for me.

Overall, I'm really happy with it.
    My T-130 has a good bit of rear hub slack as well, but not an issue for me, and nor much different than my other bikes at the same component level. I can deal with it with timing.
    Maybe a hub/pawl upgrade when things wear out will be in order.

I wondered how the 150 would be on tighter trails. The trails I frequent tend to have their share of tight turns, so the 130 is right at home here.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Any Whyte bike riders hanging around here?

British site
    U.S. site
    T-130 bump!😎👍
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Glad you guys are all stoked on the bikes! They are fun bikes! If you know anyone looking for a T-130.. they are all on sale now!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyte Bikes USA View Post
    Glad you guys are all stoked on the bikes! They are fun bikes! If you know anyone looking for a T-130.. they are all on sale now!
    I’ve been in establishment and contact with Justin. 😎👍
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes this is Justin..

NedwannaB
    Busted! Hah....
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Yes they are fun! Playful. And literally everyone that jumps on my 130 has said they feel like they know the bike like they've been riding it for a while. And they all say it climbs and accelerates like a rocket. Love the short chain stay/long reach feel. Low, stable, fast and confident. This has been the only bike I've ridden that is both very good at blasting rowdy stuff, as well as slow rock crawling. Whyte nailed the geometry.

Tell the guys in the U.K. to get some t-shirts to the U.S.! We need to spread the word!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Anyone else have a S-150, its on my list of considerations along with Jeffsy and the new unreviewed Commencal TR 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They offer a 30 day money back guarantee.. in case the bike does not work for you

Rocks belong
    What's up with the rear brake on the S-150?

1) I've never seen that style of caliper adapter
    2) A 170mm rotor? I didn't know ANYONE made one of those?

I want to run 180mm rear - but don't actually know how. I tried to reach out via Whyte bikes usa chat and got crickets.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Take a look at new S-150 S spec. It shows 180mm rotors front and back, 200mm front for L/XL.

https://www.whyte.bike/new-s150s/

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by gratulin View Post
    Take a look at new S-150 S spec. It shows 180mm rotors front and back, 200mm front for L/XL.

https://www.whyte.bike/new-s150s/
    That's the UK site. Checkout the USA site:

https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/s-150-s

Rear Brakes SRAM Level TL, 170mm Rotor (180mm on the XL), Internal Routing
    WTF is a 170mm rotor?
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's the UK site. Checkout the USA site:

https://www.whyteusa.bike/products/s-150-s

WTF is a 170mm rotor?
    I realise it is UK site but I think it is new 2019 model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Saw the add posted on the site, never heard of this bike but they look really nice. Have to keep my eye out for them on sale 150mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    With the new S-120 coming, is this only going to be a Carbon option or will they do like they've done with the S-150 and offer a Aluminum option also?
    This bike checks more boxes for me than the 150, ideally I'm looking for a 120/130 travel bike for most the terrain I ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi!

Yes we are coming out with with S-120 aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Groovy, is there and ETA or anything?

NedwannaB
    Was in yesterday brought in a couple new patrons and I was looking at the ‘19 t130sr were you off on a slacker ride?😳
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Have the S-120's started shipping yet? Numbers look great on paper, but can't find any ride reports.

Also, PLEASE offer a frame only option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the frame only option. All the direct sale folks are doing it (Intense, Fezzari).

If you made the S120 a frame only option I'd place my order today, otherwise I'm looking at stripping a bike and selling parts which kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Have the S-120's started shipping yet? Numbers look great on paper, but can't find any ride reports.

Also, PLEASE offer a frame only option.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Funny this comes up. I was trying to get some info on a bike I recently saw for sale on Facebook Marketplace. R7 Hybrid model.
    I got the feeling based on our exchange over messenger, his lack of knowledge and detail, and the relatively iffy quality of the pictures and backdrop (who takes 'beauty shots' of an expensive bike to be used as sales photos in a kid's playroom at night and gets all that angles cut off or wrong?!) that the bike was "hot".
    Normally I wouldn't pass up on a deal, but conversely I'm not into helping further potential pain so I declined. Great looking bikes though.

http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C71825D.jpg
    http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C6415B9.jpg
    http://www.image-bugs.com/images/201...oe5C63E30D.jpg

Whyte Bikes-46288114_10158115391939698_3947617661386489856_n.jpg_nc_cat108_nc_htscontent-iad3-1.xxoh9506eaab.jpg

mtbr member
    Any idea when out of stock models at whyteusa.bike will be available again?

I'm considering a new bike and Whyte was in the running as one of my top choices, but it looks like they're/you're out of stock in my size. And maybe even worse, it looks like whyte.bike doesn't show any in stock either, so I'm not sure any more will come back in stock in a reasonable timeframe.

If I was looking to buy after the new year hits, do you think that it is likely that they will be in stock again?

EDIT: Also, I see on the US site that it says that if you do not have the ability to get to one of their demo locations, that you should email them. Has anyone done this, or know how it works?

I'd love to throw a leg over the bike I want before buying it, even if they do have the 30 day return thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Just call the usa distributor--they are in fairfax california-----good group from my interactions and no one on this forum will have better info

mtbr member
    I actually emailed them about it on Monday, I just haven't heard back yet, so I thought I'd check here as well, just in case,as it seems like they monitor this thread.

Maybe on Monday I'll call them instead. Thanks for the tip .

Demon Cleaner
    Probably got a winner on their hands with the S-120 if they can get them to market soon enough and at such competitive prices. I'm highly interested.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So what does it take to get a reply from Whyte customer service? Bought 3 bikes from these guys and now several emails and voicemails have gone unanswered. Contacted Whyte UK with no replies either. I love the bike but probably the last time I’ll ever buy from them. Sad really as I purchased 3 bikes from them. Zero support. And the website’s never updated and nothing in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyv2382 View Post
    So what does it take to get a reply from Whyte customer service? Bought 3 bikes from these guys and now several emails and voicemails have gone unanswered. Contacted Whyte UK with no replies either. I love the bike but probably the last time I’ll ever buy from them. Sad really as I purchased 3 bikes from them. Zero support. And the website’s never updated and nothing in stock.
    I couldn't tell you. I wrote an email to WhyteUSA a month or two ago, and never heard back either.

I did get in contact with Justin there, via the chat on the website. I had some questions about differences between the UK, and US websites in terms of the bikes specs. A few days after I talked to him about it, the US website was updated on the bike I was interested in.

In the end, I ended up going with another bike/brand, for reasons unrelated to customer service. But it is worrying that they don't seem to be very responsive. It contrasts pretty heavily to a few other bike brands I emailed, and received responses the next day, and sometimes multiple times in a single day.

Curious though. If you say you love the bikes, what are you emailing/calling them about? It may change if I keep recommending them to friends/etc, hence why I'm asking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    I couldn't tell you. I wrote an email to WhyteUSA a month or two ago, and never heard back either.

I did get in contact with Justin there, via the chat on the website. I had some questions about differences between the UK, and US websites in terms of the bikes specs. A few days after I talked to him about it, the US website was updated on the bike I was interested in.

In the end, I ended up going with another bike/brand, for reasons unrelated to customer service. But it is worrying that they don't seem to be very responsive. It contrasts pretty heavily to a few other bike brands I emailed, and received responses the next day, and sometimes multiple times in a single day.

Curious though. If you say you love the bikes, what are you emailing/calling them about? It may change if I keep recommending them to friends/etc, hence why I'm asking.
    Loving the bike and needing service are two different things. The frame developed a creak and Im afraid that maybe a weld is coming apart although not visible and ive done my own troubleshooting. Greased the seat tube insertion area and still a very pronounced creak that seems to surface under hard pedaling. I emailed asking to purchase more v-grips, I emailed asking about tire clearance on the sektor fork and if I can add volume spacers to it. No reply. I asked about the same questions you had regarding the new geometry with no replies and mostly because the website is not updated by any means. The only time I got anywhere was when I called repeatedly to get some derailleur hangers. Thats the only time I received anything related to support.

Ive ordered 3 bikes. One was a friends order and when I contacted the store the rep sounded annoyed I asked him to help my friend. I would think after 2 orders from me theyd be thrilled to help him. Never heard from them again. I solved the volume spacer issue but have since changed out the fork anyway. I think the product is good but not worth the aggravation by any means. Pales in comparison to a brand like SC that gives a lifetime warranty instead of 3 years and they get back to you instantly. I wouldnt recommend anyone to them again I actually feel horrible that my friend has something from them. It took them forever to even acknowledge his order and ship the thing too. Just disappointed as initially the service was top notch and now has totally fell off. Its non existent really. I emailed Uk as well and they just apologized with no follow up. “ cool story bro”. Thanks I dropped near 6k on this company and this is how customers get treated.

Its my fault though. Ive always been attracted to exotic boutique brands but the service has always let me down. When you pay what we do on these bikes these days you have to back your stuff up. Ill be sticking to the bigger brands. Nothing is worth this aggravation. Journalists and reviews sometimes get the best of us. I realy feel like these journalists are paid to elicit a certain result to boost their sales.

mtbr member
    Interesting comments about Whyte's U.S. service. My experience has been fine. Immediate responses, etc. But honestly, I haven't had to contact them much. The biggest issue was a sticking fork, which turned out to be low oil level in it from the fork manufacturer. But they (Whyte USA) was responsive. Any questions I had about anything else were addressed immediately. And while I did use the USA's website chat a couple of times, all other communication was via telephone. Haven't ordered any spare parts other than than branded water bottles, which arrived in 3 days of ordering as I recall. I was thinking about ordering a spare hanger or two, maybe pivot bearings (although they have a lifetime warranty). As for a new bike order... shipped right away, and received it in a couple of days (CA to TX). Not bad considering they didn't charge for shipping. And pre shipping, we have a few exchanges about final setup stuff. All in all, my experience has been good from Whyte USA service and support. The bike itself, of course, is excellent. I have not tried any interaction with Whyte UK (haven't had a need to).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Well. If I may make an observation. You have the Whyte logo as your avatar so it comes off as youre either a fanboy or a rep for them. If not Im glad you had a good experience but Ive had several experiences. The first went very well and the last 2 went horribly. Bearing warranties are good. Frame warranties are better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyv2382 View Post
    Well. If I may make an observation. You have the Whyte logo as your avatar so it comes off as youre either a fanboy or a rep for them. If not Im glad you had a good experience but Ive had several experiences. The first went very well and the last 2 went horribly. Bearing warranties are good. Frame warranties are better.
    "Fanboy"? People still use that term? I just happen to like the way the emblem looks. It's actually almost identical to a hunting related image I've used in the past. I'm no different than the the millions of people that wear and display logos from the thousands of brands out there on shirts, stickers, hats, toolboxes, cars, and yes, maybe even an avatar. No different than seeing Nike, Chevy, Rockshox, Fox, SRAM, Crackerjacks... I could go on and on. And no, I'm not a rep. I'm just a happy consumer. I've been riding mountain bikes since before they were called mountain bikes (the 70's). I can honestly say the T-130 I recently got from Whyte is at the top of my list, and I'm satisfied with their service (in my case). So, yeah, I don't mind giving them some free advertising by displaying their emblem.

mtbr member
    I guess we're lucky in the UK as we don't need to worry about contacting Whyte and just go through any one of a million local bike shops who supply Whytes. That said, i've had 2 T-130s and not needed anything in 2 years apart from some frame touch-up paint from stone chips.

I have their logo too, yes i love their bikes, they're fantastic. I have no affiliation to them other than that though, i'm just an average bloke who bought a Whyte or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post
    I guess we're lucky in the UK as we don't need to worry about contacting Whyte and just go through any one of a million local bike shops who supply Whytes.
    When I had the question regarding the fork (was low on oil from the manufacturer), I was given the choice of sending the bike to the shop in CA, or take it to any local shop and get reimbursed if there were any charges. I'm not sure if any other direct sales bikes have this option, but that works for me. If ever I do need to take it in, I'll opt for taking it to a local shop. But, as of yet, haven't had the need. The low oil issue was addressed by SRAM at OuterBike.

mtbr member
    Whyte customer here too, EU based though. I've had good luck contacting them through fb, they have always responded in 1-3 days. The importer here is also pretty helpful, despite the fact that's it's just a small shop with limited stock. He took good care of me when the sram DB5 brakes started acting up in the summer heat and the KS seatpost developed sag.

Recently I had an issue with the stock rear hub, asked for a replacement part but it wasn't avaliable anywhere in EU/UK. After a few messages (to which admittedly they were a bit late to respond) they tracked a replacement part in Taiwan and sent it straight to me free of charge, included new bearings just in case and apologized for the delay. That was for a bike purchased in 2016, so no obligation to cover the hub under warranty (I believe it's 4yrs for frames, 1 for components).

This happened just before Christmas so there was some extra delay on every step, but in the end they go me rolling again and it cost nothing. I can say I'm a happy customer.

The bike rocks too, and that's the most important part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just bought my new racebike for 2019:
    Whyte Bikes-ahr0chm6ly9mc3rhdgljms5tdgitbmv3cy5kzs92my8ymy8ymzuwlziznta1otitmmx0nmjkmmfpamy2ltnknde4ywu1x2u1.jpg

Obviously I didnt have any problems yet (as I am not able to ride it now as we have a lot of snow around here), but I had some questions about shock setup. I contacted them via facebook and they responded within a day with a lot of helpful information! So far, positively surprised. We‘ll see how the bike holds up through race season. I will do the Megavalanche, EWS Zermatt, Enduro2 and some other Enduro races. If you like, you can follow on instagram (patrice_fuchs). I will upload some stuff regarding the bike once season kicks in.

Too bad there is no real Whyte Forum on here.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nice new 170, Foxy87.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Any S120 ride reports? Just became available for preorder stateside and I'm extremely tempted on pulling the trigger. I'm just curious how the suspension feels. Like does it have support when you try to pop off stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Any S120 ride reports? Just became available for preorder stateside and I'm extremely tempted on pulling the trigger. I'm just curious how the suspension feels. Like does it have support when you try to pop off stuff.
    You probably won't find any stateside responses since it hasn't made it across the pond yet. Might try some of the U.K. based mag sites, assuming you haven't yet.

mtbr member
    May 2018

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I bought the last size Large 901 a few days ago. Should be here in a few more weeks!

It was between the Marin San Quentin, Commencal AM HT, Nukeproof Scout, and the Whyte. I ultimately chose the Whyte because it checked every single box for me, whereas the others would each require an upgrade (tubeless tires, dropper, etc.). Plus, i've never seen one here and I like to be unique. Same color combo as Foxy87! I dig the matte blue, but i'm not in love with the bright yellow. I wish the 901 was brown and copper like the 629. Nonetheless, i'm stoked.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    You probably won't find any stateside responses since it hasn't made it across the pond yet. Might try some of the U.K. based mag sites, assuming you haven't yet.
    Spied one in a certain Fairfax,Ca location....
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKJC View Post
    I bought the last size Large 901 a few days ago. Should be here in a few more weeks!

... I dig the matte blue, but i'm not in love with the bright yellow...
    I wasn't sure about the color of my T-130 (matte blue) since it was sight unseen. But Justin at Splitrock Tap & Wheel told me it looks better in person and when it's dirty. He was right on both counts!

NedwannaB
    Wish the s-120 base model was more readily availble. And why the different fork offset from this one to the upper tier models?
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-01-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: More info
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This thing really is a beast!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just got a new 2019 T130 S. Have not gotten to ride it on the trails and Love it. So sweet. The Matt dark blue is so nice.

NedwannaB
    So, nobody is checking out the s120 lately? 😎👍
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So, nobody is checking out the s120 lately? 😎👍
    It looks like an awesome trail bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone enjoying their whyte. Loving my t130.

mtbr member
    T-130 Works '19
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whyte Bikes-fullsizeoutput_ce1c.jpeg  

Whyte Bikes-fullsizeoutput_ce1f.jpg  

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by diwal View Post
    T-130 Works '19
    Area of the pixels? 😁
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Hi JMac, it's at the Egg Harbor Township Nature Reserve Trail in Southern NJ.

All stock, except...grips (Ergon GA2), saddle (Deity Speedtrap AM), All Mountain Mud Guard, Oneup composite pedals, custom decals from Slik Graphics & VeloInk, & Lamin-X frame tape. Tires changed to Maxxis 2.35 Ardent Race in front and Ikon at the rear. Tubeless set-up.

NedwannaB
    😎👍!
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diwal View Post
    T-130 Works '19
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Bought a 2018 Whyte carbon hardtail XC bike which they no longer sell. My friend bought it on the USA site for a discount, then he sold to me 2 months later for $1200. I could not pass it up. Fox step cast fork, XT comps all the way around. Never owned a hardtail XC bike. Light and climbs like a goat. Front 2.35 IKON tires has surprisingly good grip. Kind of a harsh back end but I am guessing all XC hardtails are that way.

I also own a gravel bike (Gisburn) from Whyte. Good value bikes and progressive geometry.

The new S-120 FS looks like a steal.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Totally eyeballing pre-ordering a 2020 901 or 905 hardtail. Trying to determine if the Pike and couple other small upgrades and 1.3lb lower weight are worth the extra $400 since it will just be my backup/winter bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got a 2020 905 on pre-order. Whyte said that they should start showing up in a couple weeks. I'll be sure to post some pics/impressions once it arrives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The 2020 S-120 RS is one of the bikes on my short list (probably at the top of it, actually), but just like with most other brands, I'm smack down in-between sizes. For those of you that own (or have had a chance to ride) S-120, should I size up or size down? With the reach being as long as it is, I'm guessing down-sizing is a safer option? I'm around 6.2" (187-188 cm) with 34.5 - 35" (88-89 cm) inseam.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the 2019 S-120C RS. I'm 5' 11" and 32" inseam and was deciding between M & L, so not an apples to apples comparison with you. Went with the size L and it seems like the right choice for me. It was close to being too tall for me with the dropper post set in the frame almost all the way down, but it worked out with an inch to spare. During my shopping, I rode a Transition Smuggler which has relatively similar reach dimensions...so you might look around to see if you can sit on some bikes that are in the ballpark of the geometry to help you decide. I also asked the Whyte folks what they thought before deciding. My gut feeling is you'll fit on both and it's just going to be a personal preference.

Also...you might checkout the Whyte Bikes - Owners group on facebook, lots more folks on their that might have input on your question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalem77 View Post
    I have the 2019 S-120C RS. I'm 5' 11" and 32" inseam and was deciding between M & L, so not an apples to apples comparison with you. Went with the size L and it seems like the right choice for me. It was close to being too tall for me with the dropper post set in the frame almost all the way down, but it worked out with an inch to spare. During my shopping, I rode a Transition Smuggler which has relatively similar reach dimensions...so you might look around to see if you can sit on some bikes that are in the ballpark of the geometry to help you decide. I also asked the Whyte folks what they thought before deciding. My gut feeling is you'll fit on both and it's just going to be a personal preference.

Also...you might checkout the Whyte Bikes - Owners group on facebook, lots more folks on their that might have input on your question.
    Thanks for feedback. There are no bike shops in this area that sell Transition, unfortunately, and no factory demo trucks ever make it out here, so I pretty much have to go by my gut feeling and experience of others. This area is dominated by Trek, Specialized and Giant, with a couple of dealers that sell Pivot and Salsa, but they almost never have any stock and can only special order them. I was able to try Salsa Spearfish and Horsethief in L and XL (just parking lot ride), and I think I felt more comfortable on L Spearfish (but that could also be because it's closer in size to my 5 year old hardtail). I also tried a Specialized SJ ST in L and it also felt OK, but no XL to compare to. But when I tried riding Trek FEX last year (2019 model), I tried both 19.5 and 21.5 and seemed to prefer 21.5. So go figure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Gotta ask, how do you like the S-120C RS? It looks like a real good value. I have a Whyte XC hardtail and my experience with them has been good. My only concern would be the slack head angle. Do I need to be a super aggressive rider?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    Gotta ask, how do you like the S-120C RS? It looks like a real good value. I have a Whyte XC hardtail and my experience with them has been good. My only concern would be the slack head angle. Do I need to be a super aggressive rider?

Thanks.
    I'm super happy with the S-120...exactly what I was looking for, trail bike that can handle XC to more gnarly stuff. Plus great spec at a reasonable price.

I came from an XC hardtail (2010 Salsa Mamasita), so big change to go to full suspension with the modern geometry. I'm just an average weekend warrior in Texas, so I wouldn't call me or my trails overly aggressive. The slack head angle definitely felt strange at first, but took no time to get used to it, and then you realize how much confidence that long/slack/low setup gives you. Minor downsides are that it's not as good at tight turns and more pedal strikes...but, a lot of the pedal strikes are because I'm now seated and pedaling through rough stuff that I used to stand and glide through, and I'm getting better at my pedaling technique to avoid them as well. Overall, couldn't imagine going back.

mtbr member
    I just got back from a couple of weeks in Scotland. It was nice to see so many shops that carry Whyte there, considering there's only one in the U.S. From their (the shops) input, Whyte is a pretty popular and respected brand across the pond. And like in the U.S., they sell out quickly. Whyte is not a big volume producer, and it shows in their great quality. They were surprised to learn that Whyte has a U.S. distributor. My daughter was very close to purchasing a Whyte there (women's frame), and bringing it back as over-sized luggage. Just couldn't figure out a way to fit a boxed bike in the rental along with our luggage. Even though we rented a "full sized" SUV, by U.S. standards, it was pretty small. One shop was willing to sell the bike and ship it, but shipping is a killer...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm super happy with the S-120...exactly what I was looking for, trail bike that can handle XC to more gnarly stuff. Plus great spec at a reasonable price.

I came from an XC hardtail (2010 Salsa Mamasita), so big change to go to full suspension with the modern geometry. I'm just an average weekend warrior in Texas, so I wouldn't call me or my trails overly aggressive. The slack head angle definitely felt strange at first, but took no time to get used to it, and then you realize how much confidence that long/slack/low setup gives you. Minor downsides are that it's not as good at tight turns and more pedal strikes...but, a lot of the pedal strikes are because I'm now seated and pedaling through rough stuff that I used to stand and glide through, and I'm getting better at my pedaling technique to avoid them as well. Overall, couldn't imagine going back.

Cool, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My new 905 just showed up today! 30.6lbs with pedals (OneUp Composites) and fender, set up tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whyte Bikes-20191105_121541.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhatfie View Post
    My new 905 just showed up today! 30.6lbs with pedals (OneUp Composites) and fender, set up tubeless.
    Like the color...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looking forward to a ride report.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looking forward to a ride report.
    Taking the day off Friday to take it to Duthie Hill. I ran it the week prior on my other bike (2018 Fuel EX 9.8), so it will be interesting to see how the 905 compares to my FS that cost more than 2x as much.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick first ride report:

It has been a while since I last rode a hardtail. I have been spoiled the last few years with the full suspension cushion. The 905 is obviously less forgiving than my Fuel EX, requiring more precise lines. It took me a little bit to get used to how the rear behaved in comparison to my FS, but after a while I was having a blast.

Keep in mind, I am a mediocre rider and do not hit double blacks or anything like that. I'll do drops and smaller gap jumps, but nothing really beyond that. But I can say that the 905 on those fat 2.8in tires has lots of grip, gave me lots of confidence. The attack riding position feels better than my Fuel actually. I had to adjust my riding slightly to weight the front a little more, but overall it tracked very well. It does not roll as fast as the Fuel and takes a bit more work to ride up hills, but was not bad at all. I'll need some more time on it to get a better idea how it does in more varied terrain.

I actually set a few strava records for myself in a few segments and in others, was generally only a little off what I do on the Fuel, so overall I'd say that the bike is very capable. It does let me know if I do not hit jumps right and mistakes are magnified on the 905, but that is more of the fact it is a hardtail than anything else. I am hoping to get out again tomorrow and/or Monday on a different trail system to test it out more.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just upgraded the wheels on my 905 to some Ibis Logo 742's that are on sale at Jenson. Using the same NX cassette, stock tires and discs, still shaved off 1.5lbs (total). Have not really tested them out yet though.

I will say that those 2.8in tires and the 742's was super easy setting up tubeless. Just a floor pump and pop!

Wheel Weights w/tires and brake discs, set up Tubeless w/3oz Orange Seal:
    Whyte 905:
    Stock WTB i35 w/Maxxis HR II 2.8 F: 5.1 lbs
    Stock WTB i35 w/Maxxis Rekon 2.8 R: 7.1 lbs

Ibis Logo Carbon 742 w/Maxxis HR II 2.8 F: 4.4 lbs
    Ibis Logo Carbon 742 w/Maxxis Rekon 2.8 R: 6.2 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Anyone here own the Whyte S-150rcs and find the Pike harsh on small bumps? That's what I experienced when demoing it, but not sure if it was just because it was poorly tuned or serviced.

mtbr member
    I have been riding a S-150 RS for a little over a year now, and am a big fan. Previously I tended to gravitate to longer travel 27.5 bikes - Transition Patrol, Santa Cruz Nomad, etc. I've also had the opportunity to test the Ripmo on home trails, which was a good comparison to the S-150.

Compared to 27.5 bikes: There was an adaptation period (my wife said I looked like I was "trying harder" in tight turns, jumps and pumps at first. After that period handling became more neutral and intuitive than past bikes. Even on flow trails I don't find myself missing 27.5 anymore, and on rocky trails its night and day how much better this bike is.

Compared to Ripmo: The Ripmo definitely pedals better (I figured the DW link was more hype than reality, but its not) but otherwise I prefer the S-150, particularly how the rear suspension works on the downhill, despite the lower end shock on the S-150. The Ripmo felt like it had a lot less travel than the S-150 off jumps and drops. Their geometries are very similar, but the extra stack on the S-150 makes it a better fit for me.

Overall: This is my only bike for Truckee/Tahoe with frequent trips to Downieville, Graeagle, Auburn and Nevada City (some trips to Mendocino and Santa Cruz) and if I were doing it again, I would likely still get this bike again. The Ripmo AF would be a strong contender, as would the Fezzari La Sal Peak. I think it deserves a Lyrik and a piggy-back shock, but I can't really complain about the Pike or entry-level Super Delux. The only changes I've made were grips and put the HR II in the back with a Vigilante in the front, otherwise stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Thank you for this. I'm definitely starting to lean towards the Whyte bike now.

You didn't find the Pike overly harsh though for high speed small bumps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDrag View Post
    Thank you for this. I'm definitely starting to lean towards the Whyte bike now.

You didn't find the Pike overly harsh though for high speed small bumps?
    No, I've been impressed with the Pike overall. Definitely running less pressure than the chart on its leg, but that's pretty standard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraOutsider View Post
    No, I've been impressed with the Pike overall. Definitely running less pressure than the chart on its leg, but that's pretty standard.
    I must have had too much air in it then.

How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted to go buy this bike right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDrag View Post
    I must have had too much air in it then.

How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted to go buy this bike right now.
    180 on an XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just picked up an S-120 R '20. Still working out the kinks on the fork - probably need to drop the pressure. Haven't checked to see if it has tokens.

I think the S120 RS is a better value, but it was out of my price range. I'm just a weekend warrior but very happy with my purchase.

I ride in OK, which is mostly short ups and downs on XC and Trail single track. I've found this bike perfect for my riding. I'm coming from a '16 Trek Stache (ridden rigid and with a 120mm Pike) and, previous to that, '14 Trek Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPoke View Post
    Just picked up an S-120 R '20. Still working out the kinks on the fork - probably need to drop the pressure. Haven't checked to see if it has tokens.

I think the S120 RS is a better value, but it was out of my price range. I'm just a weekend warrior but very happy with my purchase.

I ride in OK, which is mostly short ups and downs on XC and Trail single track. I've found this bike perfect for my riding. I'm coming from a '16 Trek Stache (ridden rigid and with a 120mm Pike) and, previous to that, '14 Trek Fuel EX.
    How are you adjusting to the slack head angle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    How are you adjusting to the slack head angle?
    The single track here in OK is mostly switchbacks with the occasional flowy section, all with some short ups and downs. The bike has performed beautifully. I find it very agile.

I had an 18’ YT Jeffsy 27.5 for a couple of months, and I hated it - mostly because it pedaled poorly and was a 27.5 (didn’t realize how much I loved 29ers). That bike seemed much longer, but it wasn’t. I think the 19’ Jeffsy 29 would have been better with Lowe/slacker geometry and more anti squat, but regardless, the S-120 at 120mm does everything I need it to do.

I think riding style might have something to do with it. The longer bikes really like to lean, which I enjoy. The longer bikes are also more stable on loose corners. In OK, my turns are usually on flat loose over hard ground, so washouts are always a threat. I have ridden the same turns considerably faster with the S-120.

Only negative is an increase in pedal strikes, but I can live with that. Just a weekend warrior’s opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey guys, does the 2020 Whyte S-150crs have the Charger Damper 2.1? The Whyte website says Charger Damper 2, but it also says Pike Select+ which means it should be the Charger Damper 2.1?

mtbr member
    I've just swapped my T-130 for a G-160.

s-l1600 (12) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Still loving the Whyte.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    G-170crs 29er vs S-150crs?

I'm torn!!! Although I ride mostly at a trail centre managed bike park that consists of only 1.5km descents before having to climb back up. I am worried the G-170crs will be too much bike but I am also worried the S-150crs will be too less once I start doing harder stuff...

These are the hardest trails possible at my local trails https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_RT48Etfgg

And this is the trail I generally ride now with my skill level https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOCcqZUnNSY (although much slower than this guy as my current hardtail beats the shit out of me on the rough stuff).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The RS 120 is an unbelievable deal right now at $3,600. XT 12 speed all the way around w/step cast fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Has anyone been in touch with Whyte in the US recently?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OnMyLevel View Post
    Has anyone been in touch with Whyte in the US recently?
    I sent them a message asking how to get a spare derailleur hanger for my 905, they responded saying that they would send me a link, but I have not heard back since then.

Update: Just contacted them on the whyte USA webpage via chat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I sent them a message asking how to get a spare derailleur hanger for my 905, they responded saying that they would send me a link, but I have not heard back since then.

Update: Just contacted them on the whyte USA webpage via chat.
    I had to send a reminder for the same hanger. They sent an invoice, which allowed for CC payment. I accidentally had "ship to Whyte USA" instead of "ship to house" clicked. I then emailed them immediately telling them about my error. The same day I ordered a hanger from Commencal for my sons bike. The Commencal arrived in a few days. After a few weeks I emailed Whyte to remind them and they promptly refunded my money and still sent the part.

So, the customer service is spotty, but in the end I got the hanger and didn't pay for it at all (even though I didn't ask for a refund, I just wanted it shipped to my house instead of their office). Commencal was much smoother and faster though.