Whyte 2008 bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Whyte 2008 bikes

Has anyone seen, ridden or got any pics of Whytes new E-120 2008 full sus bike. I saw it in the December issue of mbr magazine in the UK. I was just interested as I know how amazing some of Whytes bikes are having owned the amazing but ugly 2001 PRST-1 XT. The E-120 is a similar bike to the E-5.

If you have never heard of Whyte then take a look at the 07 stuff:http://www.whytebikes.co.uk/2007/

mtbr member
    Dear EGF168

This is a rare opportunity for me to reply to myself, which will be great fun. I saw that they now have a review that I read in MBUK magazine in the UK, they seemed to love the bike ďThereís definitely a new contender for the ultimate trail bike hot seat.Ē is what they said and they liked the way its digs its way out of imminent crashes. Its also very light at sub 24 pounds for the XTR race bike. It has nice boxy carbon tube too.

I think ill have to go and try one at one of my local dealers and see if its really that good.

I also found where the new 2008 website will be:
    http://www.whytebikes.co.uk/2008/

I also found the have a mini site for the new Whyte:
    http://www.thefutureiswhyte.com/

mtbr member
    Does any one on this site actually own a whyte or has ridden one, because Iím wondering whatís going on with the 23,200 active users here. I know that allot of the users are American and you donít get whyte in the US, but there no excuse for this kind of neglect of a company.

People of the world, this thread will die without your help! Please donate!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I run a 2007 E-5 and a 2004 46 with the Maverick DUC32. They are both brilliant at what they do.

Everything they have written about the E-120 sounds like my E-5. The E-5 was never a heavy bike, but everyone knows that the pimp carbon uber-material is best, so the E-120 *must* be better. Another way of looking at it is that lots of other manufacturers have had carbon frames matched to welded swingarms. The E-5's anomaly was having a carbon swingarm. Putting a carbon front triangle back into the mix was an obvious and fairly easy progression.

In my experience, Whyte keep the headline weight down (a little bit) on their bikes by speccing light tyres that might not be suited to the intended riding of the bike. They also tend to quote the weight for the entire range based on the lightest weight/highest spec build that they deliver. This might account for a pound or so, but there is no doubting that the E-5 is light and the E-120 is probably lighter.

mtbr member
    I think I heard the XT E-5 and E-120 weigh pretty much the same but I donít know about the higher models.

I see you live in the UK, do you live anywhere near the north or south Downs?

Do you have any pics of youíre E-5 for me to drool over?

I havenít bothered to check the website lately but I see they have updated it for 08 so that means my catalogue shouldnít take too much longer.

Merry Christmas!

Derailleurless
    What's this? No more linkage front suspension?
    speedub.nate
    ∑ MTBR Hiatus UFN ∑

mtbr member
    They got rid of the PRST-1 to 4 linkage front sus back in 2005, they are now using the same suspension designed by John Whyte as Marin does, which works very well on the back and normal sus on the front.

Not that the old one was bad but it wasnít very plush on the front and my original model had a very low chain stay under the bottom bracket that got stuck quite allot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    I think I heard the XT E-5 and E-120 weigh pretty much the same but I donít know about the higher models.

I see you live in the UK, do you live anywhere near the north or south Downs?

Do you have any pics of youíre E-5 for me to drool over?
    I'm a regular rider on the North Downs/Surrey Hills usually riding from Peaslake. Haven't got any pictures better than the brochure ones, but I love the look of the E-5. It has very clean lines.

I note that the E-120 has a less compact linkage arrangement (albeit carbon fibre) - more in common with the Marin bikes than the E-5. Slightly less visually appealing to my eyes, but I'm probably just trying to convince myself.

mtbr member
    I live in Slinfold nr Horsham, I go through Peaslake sometimes, if you happen to look out your window I will be riding a black Giant Trance X2 2008 or and 07 Stumpy comp.

I think your right about the pics on the website, they look less compact and the front looks far to boxy with the carbon but I suppose it will look better in real life, frame size in the photo also makes allot of difference.

I love the look of the 08 Marin Mt Visions + they have bothered with colour next year which always helps.

Here are my bikes on Flikr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/egf/

ARCHQUEST
    I got a 2002 Whyte PRST-1 and been upgrading it bits at times and I'd agreed that the front end is not vary plush compared to the latest forks of today and I did a little experiment by replacing the front Fox Float R air shock with a larger air volumn Fox AVA canister and it change how the front end feel completely. The extra air volumn and lower air pressure makse the front end much linear in compression and much more plush then before. It feels more than 4" travel and just soak up the bump nicely so the Fox AVA shock is highly recommended on the front end of PRST-1 or 4.

I'd also replace the rear shock to a new Fox RP23 and it minimized bobing quite a lot. A new set of shocks will do wonders on a 2002 bike guess air shock tech have come a long way since 2002. The good part of PRST bikes is that since it use regular 6.5"x1.5" front and rear, all you have to do it pop a new set of shocks in every couple of years and enjoy the latest technology without buying a new bike. Off course you're limited to 4" of travel front and rear but for lite trail and XC riding its more than enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0