Why is my Seven Sola Lighter in the Front?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Why is my Seven Sola Lighter in the Front?

I'm breaking in my new Seven Sola and one of the first things I noticed is that the front end is noticeably lighter than that of my old Rocky Mountain hardtail. I have no complaints about how it handles but it seems counterintuitive as I always thought 50/50 weight distribution was the norm. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Does your Sola feel lighter while riding it? Does it wheelie more easily than your Rocky? Or is this something you feel while the bike is just sitting there?

If you spec'd the same exact geometry as you had on your old bike, then we'd have to look at the components to see why there might be a difference. (did you go from a 6lb coil fork to a carbon Sid w/ 12 spoke wheels?)

If the geometry is different, and/or your position on the bike has changed, then the numbers will probably indicate why the feel has changed. There has to be a reason.

And most bikes have something closer to a 40/60 f/r weight bias. Just look at a picture of someone seated on their MTB. With the seat back closer to the rear axle, the CG is noticably closer to the rear wheel. This has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it has to be this way, so we deal...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just notice that it wheelies much easier over obstacles and I like that. I don't have any problems with pushing or sliding out in the turns. The geometry is similar but the chainstay on the Seven is 17in. and it was about 16 3/4in on the Rocky so I was thinking there would be about the same weight on the front. I'm not complaining but it is just different, that's all.

Members who have read this thread: 0