what size handle bars are most using with med xcl- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: larrylund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    186

    what size handle bars are most using with med xcl

    is there a formula or just personal preference
    LL

  2. #2
    WWJR
    Reputation: IH8MUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    459
    I personally like riding w/out bars. wayyyyy more challenging!

    naw, its DEF pers pref. I tossed the Chumba bars, and went with a Race Face bar. But im guessing I coulda cut atleast an 1"-1.5" off the ends of the stock Chumba/Truvativ.

    Edit: Race Face NEXT carbon SL= 635mm
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 04-21-2008 at 08:22 PM.

  3. #3
    I'm living the dream!
    Reputation: Ricky D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    391
    It's personal preference which probably has a lot to do with the type of riding you do and body size. I personally just threw on the RF Deus low riser bars (660mm wide) I had on my previous bike (Jamis XLT). They still feel great so I'll keep them until I learn to stop crashing, then I'll switch to those sweet carbon bars hullendersauce is sporting.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monty797's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    683
    I'm running a set of the newer syntace duraflite carbon bars and I love em. They are 660mm wide and liiiiiight. They work spiffy too.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    189
    Aerus XCR carbon bars here.. 660mm wide.

  6. #6
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    truvativ hussefelt bars. wide and not light.

    not gonna break.

  7. #7
    Older than I feel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,762
    I went "stupid light" with a Titec Pluto 2" carbon fiber riser bar. I think it's 690 mm wide.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHUMBAevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,134
    I got a FSA Carbon Gravity Light. I love the shiny finish on it.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

    http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: neilster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    I went "stupid light" with a Titec Pluto 2" carbon fiber riser bar. I think it's 690 mm wide.
    You almost need a "necker knob" for bars that wide!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    612
    I'm actually planning on trying some Syntace Vector DH bars with 16 sweep...hopefully it will help ease my wrist pain.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: larrylund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    186
    any pros/cons on width?
    i tried a friends with a wider bar and liked the way i could move thru turns at higher speeds but tight slow stuff felt weird
    thanks for your replies
    LL

  12. #12
    Mmmm Rocks Good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    645
    I'm running an Azonic Strip Bar on mine, 710 mm wide (I believe) 28" wide on a 60 mm stem for the steep technical rocky stuff I love riding. I noticed at low speed they allow me a lot of torque when working through the rocks and up ledges.

  13. #13
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I'm running an Azonic Strip Bar on mine, 710 mm wide (I believe) 28" wide on a 60 mm stem for the steep technical rocky stuff I love riding. I noticed at low speed they allow me a lot of torque when working through the rocks and up ledges.
    agreed on the feel in rocks and techy stuff. my hussefelts are about 27' wide also. love the feel...

    i cant believe how many guys on here are running carbon bars!! and i never thought chumba riders would be so weight conscience.

  14. #14
    I'm living the dream!
    Reputation: Ricky D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    agreed on the feel in rocks and techy stuff. my hussefelts are about 27' wide also. love the feel...

    i cant believe how many guys on here are running carbon bars!! and i never thought chumba riders would be so weight conscience.
    If I make the move to carbon it won't be for weight savings but more for vibration dampening. Even with full suspension, I get rattled good in the rocks and roots.

    I'm still on the fence about getting a carbon bar but only because I crash a good bit and would be afraid of compromising the bar and having a sudden and catastrophic failure at a bad time on the trail.

  15. #15
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    totally agree^^^ i have 2 buddies that have had carbon stuff crap the bed at very poor times. 1 guy still has the scars on the inside/back of his thigh to prove it!

    yikes!

  16. #16
    I'm on fire.
    Reputation: Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    If I make the move to carbon it won't be for weight savings but more for vibration dampening. Even with full suspension, I get rattled good in the rocks and roots.

    I'm still on the fence about getting a carbon bar but only because I crash a good bit and would be afraid of compromising the bar and having a sudden and catastrophic failure at a bad time on the trail.
    I've been running carbon bars for quite some time now and I don't think I'll ever switch back to alum. 26" (660mm) wide Easton Monkeylite. Anything narrower than that just feels weird to me. 90mm stem. The dampening properties are quite nice. I beat on my XCL pretty regularly, lots of rocks, log skinnies, drops 4' or less, and lots of crashes. I've had the same carbon bar for 3 years, and just now ordered a new one.

    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

  17. #17
    NWchumba
    Guest
    745mm sunline bars with a 50mm stem

    maybe just a tad too wide

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.