what size handle bars are most using with med xcl- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what size handle bars are most using with med xcl

is there a formula or just personal preference
    LL

WWJR
    I personally like riding w/out bars. wayyyyy more challenging!

naw, its DEF pers pref. I tossed the Chumba bars, and went with a Race Face bar. But im guessing I coulda cut atleast an 1"-1.5" off the ends of the stock Chumba/Truvativ.

Edit: Race Face NEXT carbon SL= 635mm
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 04-21-2008 at 08:22 PM.

I'm living the dream!
    It's personal preference which probably has a lot to do with the type of riding you do and body size. I personally just threw on the RF Deus low riser bars (660mm wide) I had on my previous bike (Jamis XLT). They still feel great so I'll keep them until I learn to stop crashing, then I'll switch to those sweet carbon bars hullendersauce is sporting.

mtbr member
    I'm running a set of the newer syntace duraflite carbon bars and I love em. They are 660mm wide and liiiiiight. They work spiffy too.

mtbr member
    Aerus XCR carbon bars here.. 660mm wide.

shred my gnar
    truvativ hussefelt bars. wide and not light.

not gonna break.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I went "stupid light" with a Titec Pluto 2" carbon fiber riser bar. I think it's 690 mm wide.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    I got a FSA Carbon Gravity Light. I love the shiny finish on it.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    I went "stupid light" with a Titec Pluto 2" carbon fiber riser bar. I think it's 690 mm wide.
    You almost need a "necker knob" for bars that wide!

mtbr member
    I'm actually planning on trying some Syntace Vector DH bars with 16 sweep...hopefully it will help ease my wrist pain.

mtbr member
    any pros/cons on width?
    i tried a friends with a wider bar and liked the way i could move thru turns at higher speeds but tight slow stuff felt weird
    thanks for your replies
    LL

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I'm running an Azonic Strip Bar on mine, 710 mm wide (I believe) 28" wide on a 60 mm stem for the steep technical rocky stuff I love riding. I noticed at low speed they allow me a lot of torque when working through the rocks and up ledges.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I'm running an Azonic Strip Bar on mine, 710 mm wide (I believe) 28" wide on a 60 mm stem for the steep technical rocky stuff I love riding. I noticed at low speed they allow me a lot of torque when working through the rocks and up ledges.
    agreed on the feel in rocks and techy stuff. my hussefelts are about 27' wide also. love the feel...

i cant believe how many guys on here are running carbon bars!! and i never thought chumba riders would be so weight conscience.

I'm living the dream!
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    agreed on the feel in rocks and techy stuff. my hussefelts are about 27' wide also. love the feel...

i cant believe how many guys on here are running carbon bars!! and i never thought chumba riders would be so weight conscience.
    If I make the move to carbon it won't be for weight savings but more for vibration dampening. Even with full suspension, I get rattled good in the rocks and roots.

I'm still on the fence about getting a carbon bar but only because I crash a good bit and would be afraid of compromising the bar and having a sudden and catastrophic failure at a bad time on the trail.

shred my gnar
    totally agree^^^ i have 2 buddies that have had carbon stuff crap the bed at very poor times. 1 guy still has the scars on the inside/back of his thigh to prove it!

yikes!

I'm on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky D
    If I make the move to carbon it won't be for weight savings but more for vibration dampening. Even with full suspension, I get rattled good in the rocks and roots.

I'm still on the fence about getting a carbon bar but only because I crash a good bit and would be afraid of compromising the bar and having a sudden and catastrophic failure at a bad time on the trail.
    I've been running carbon bars for quite some time now and I don't think I'll ever switch back to alum. 26" (660mm) wide Easton Monkeylite. Anything narrower than that just feels weird to me. 90mm stem. The dampening properties are quite nice. I beat on my XCL pretty regularly, lots of rocks, log skinnies, drops 4' or less, and lots of crashes. I've had the same carbon bar for 3 years, and just now ordered a new one.

Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

NWchumba
    745mm sunline bars with a 50mm stem

maybe just a tad too wide

Members who have read this thread: 0