What kind of Ti do they (black sheep, desalvo) use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What kind of Ti do they (black sheep, desalvo) use?

Do you know what kind of Ti tubing Black Sheep, DeSalvo, Jones .... use to build their bikes? They use 6AL-4V?

In FTF We Trust
    I doubt that there are any small/custom builders that build with 6AL/4V since it has to be rolled (then seam welded) into tubes and can't be extruded. Most builders use 3AL/2.5V for all main tubes and 6/4 for dropouts and maybe some other small parts. The big difference would be whether you choose straight gauge or butted tubes.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    along with that the 6/4 tubes are very expensive. Moots has decided to stop using 6/4 for tubes due to the cost and availability along with there is little weight savings (in the grand scheme) in comparison to butted 3/2 tubes.

mtbr member
    We all use 3-2.5 Ti. Reynolds has a 6-4 tubeset available, but it's only really road friendly. It's also five times the price of PG 3-2.5 so in some ways the cost/performance curve is a bit steep on that one.

Still, it is twice as strong as 3-2.5, so for someone interested in having the final word in titanium road frame construction, I guess it's the way to go.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    You also can find some brands that'll use commercially pure grade 4 titanium (which is as strong as your basic 4130 CrMo steel, so take a plain 4130 bike, duplicate it exactly in CP Grade 4 and you end up with the same strength at 2/3 the weight basically) and some russian manufacturers use this as well as another alloy like their Ti 5/2 (which is 5% Aluminium and 2% Manganese) which falls between US Ti 3-2.5 and Ti 6-4 for strength.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 1