What fork for XCL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

What fork for XCL

What fork do you use on your XCL. Im leaning toward a VanillaR or the FloatR. My riding is typical EastCoast stuff.....rock gardens, exposed roots, singletrack with an ocasional 1-3foot waterbar drop. I weigh 210, 215-220 with riding gear and camelback.

Trophy Husband
    I use the 36 Talas RC2.

Sweet fork. The big tubes match the big tubes of the XCL. I ride around mostly in the middle position (130mm), but switch to 160mm for the uber steep stuff.

I love it. YMMV.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Jan 2004
    i think the Talas would be great, especially given their supposed improvements in 2008.

having said that, i am biased towards Marzocchi and as such, for the XCL, I would consider one of the 55 forks, at least for completeness would do some research.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    i think the Talas would be great, especially given their supposed improvements in 2008.

having said that, i am biased towards Marzocchi and as such, for the XCL, I would consider one of the 55 forks, at least for completeness would do some research.
    I prefer Marzocchi as well (I've got a 66 for my other bike), but you can keep TST. The Talas feels WAY better than the TST damped forks I tried out.
    Extreme stationary biker.

nerfherder
    Since you're > 200lbs I'd also recommend the 36s and a thru axle. Ted, the designer of the XCL, was rocking an 08 TALAS 36 a couple weeks ago. The 55 that Fo suggested also seems promising. Also the Lyrik U-Turn unless the 2-Step issues have been remedied.

As geolover mentioned these bigger forks are a nice complement to the XCL burliness. For what it's worth I rode one with a Pike and it felt pretty spot on with that geometry.

It's a nice time to be into bikes. There's a lot of choice out there.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I've got the '08 32 TALAS RLC on mine and I'm liking it. I'm a big fella too, about the same weight as you, lawndart.

I don't use the travel adjust much though, so a Float RLC would be my suggestion if you don't need the travel adjust and want to save a little $$$.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    I've got the '08 32 TALAS RLC on mine and I'm liking it. I'm a big fella too, about the same weight as you, lawndart.

I don't use the travel adjust much though, so a Float RLC would be my suggestion if you don't need the travel adjust and want to save a little $$$.
    I'm with chuck on this one,I think the Fox 140 (van,Float or talas)is the BEST fork to be had.And the no thu-axel is no problem what so ever,I'm very heavy right now,and I never take easy lines and this fork always ready for anything.If its 6" you want bro 08 36 Float or Talas is stupid nice.I have both.And I've had two 07 Zoke forks too.I wonder how many people here who suggest forks have owned and or riddin other forks than the one there saying to buy.I'm not big on Zoke,I'm a Fox guy all day lone.I will say that I was on the fence with a RS Lyric(very very nice fork) but at the end of it all to me Fox is top dog.Also the newQR thu axel is sweet sweet sweet.Good luck CF..

mtbr member
    I just got mine with the Lyric and it works great. Haven't hit drops with it, but it's burly enough to take it. A little heavy, but hey this is the wrong bike if you're a weight weanie. If your bike is too heavy, get stronger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottandhisdog
    . If your bike is too heavy, get stronger.
    I second that. Another good option if you dont need 160mm travel is the
    Pike. I have the 454 Uturn air, I like the thru axle. It is about .7 lb heavier than the
    Talas RLC but I like having the extra stiffness when you really need it

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

lyric u-turn

I just bought an XCL paired with a Lyric U-turn. On my first ride, I ran the fork at 145mm since the frames is designed for that amount of travel, and I was concerned about front end push and slow steering. While acceptable for XC riding, I found on the steep techy downhill sections it was too twitchy. I then tried 150mm, then ended up running it full travel. Although the front end pushed at first in the turns, lowering the stem 2 - 5mm spacers (I started with 3 spacers) put more weight on the front and the push was gone. Now it steers perfect. No front end push whatsoever. Climbing is still excellent, even better than my '00 Ellsworth Truth. I don't dial the fork down on climbs...don't have to. I don't have any issues with front end wander or lightness on steep, granny gear technical climbs either. Personally, I can't imagine running this bike with a 140mm fork unless you mainly ride XC type trails, aren't a bomber, and are concerned about weight, as the Lyric weighs 5.7 lbs and a Float 32 weighs 4 lbs. I don't mind the weight since the performance of the fork is fantastic and the bike handles superbly. You can't go wrong with a Fox 36 either. Go 160mm!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0