Weyless XP Frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Weyless XP Frame?

Supergo has 04' frames with a 5th Element air shock for $399....
    Has or does anyone ride one? The few blurbs I've found seem positive.....

I'm not expecting the world here....just something that won't suck in the woods of New Hampshire....I'm a light rider ( 5'8" ~155lbs) that loves climbing as much as downhilling.....I also bunnyhop everything in sight and love to launch off anything I can....I do jumps and drops.....

Looking for a true all around bike at a reasonable price (sub $1500 frame).....This frame looked like it could somewhat fill the application at an incredible price...

For reference my past two bikes were:

original Trek Y33 in Canary yellow
    Rocky Mt. Element Team SC

After a break from the sport, I want to get back into it again (no racing though)....Any suggestions/feedback?

mtbr member

weyless

I have seen several broken early frames but I don't know about the 04's. If your price is $1500 you could consider a Turner Burner frame from Supergo for $850 and build it cheap. Or consider a complete Cannondale Prophet or Scalpel ( whichever suites your style) for $1500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

get the weyless before it is gone

If your on a budget, nothing can beat this. I bought the full build XP pro in November and couldn't be happier. Mine has the Talus rear, but I have heard that the 5th rides very nice too. It is a very good quality frame and the price can't be beat. Get the black paint though, the orange looks sweat but isn't very durable. You would be an idiot not to by the frame! From what I hear they will not have an 05 model, and the 04's are not the one's that have broken, the 04 is a totally redesigned frame that is STOUT.

Sep 2004
    I'd buy a whole XP bike if they have it. Great components. The frames are questionable. I bought a whole Weyless 67 and the headtube has a dent in it just from the hydro brake cable rubbing!! It's true. I would go with the Turner frame and build that up or buy a whole XP and then just buy a better frame when the XP gives out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LLrider
    I'd buy a whole XP bike if they have it. Great components. The frames are questionable. I bought a whole Weyless 67 and the headtube has a dent in it just from the hydro brake cable rubbing!! It's true. I would go with the Turner frame and build that up or buy a whole XP and then just buy a better frame when the XP gives out.
    The dent comment is funny. Weyless uses the sames types of aluminum as other manufacturers so they don't wear faster then any other would. I have a high end Cannondale that has indentations from cables rubbing and the materails on it are top notch. That is a bike setup problem that needs to be fixed with good cable routing. A rubbing cable when covered with dirt and sand will scratch through any frame.

Many Weyless bikes are made by Kinesis who among others has made bikes for Santa Cruz and Mountain Cycle so you don't need to worry about quality. I have a Weyless SP and it's an amazing value. The XP is just as nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The frames are NOT questionable...

they are great, well made with name brand easton RAD tubes, cut and welded by Kinesis which builds all santa cruz frames, alot if not all of specialized frames and many other "name" brand bikes. The geometry and pivot are identical to the Santa Cruz Heckler. The frame is very, very stiff laterally, reasonably light and can not be beat for the price. If you buy one, make sure to get an additional drive side dropout/hanger thingy as the weyless brand has been discontinued, so that you can continue to ride this frame as long as you need to-it WILL last that long and has a 5 year warranty if it happens to break. I too would opt for the complete XP, the PRO's are sold out, but the XP build is nice and you couldn't build a frame up as nice for the same price. I think they are now $1100 complete? Buy it, don't look back and enjoy the hell out of it. What do you have to loose?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp
    they are great, well made with name brand easton RAD tubes, cut and welded by Kinesis which builds all santa cruz frames, alot if not all of specialized frames and many other "name" brand bikes. The geometry and pivot are identical to the Santa Cruz Heckler. The frame is very, very stiff laterally, reasonably light and can not be beat for the price. If you buy one, make sure to get an additional drive side dropout/hanger thingy as the weyless brand has been discontinued, so that you can continue to ride this frame as long as you need to-it WILL last that long and has a 5 year warranty if it happens to break. I too would opt for the complete XP, the PRO's are sold out, but the XP build is nice and you couldn't build a frame up as nice for the same price. I think they are now $1100 complete? Buy it, don't look back and enjoy the hell out of it. What do you have to loose?
    Just curious, where did you find your info about Kinesis and the end of the Weyless name? Is Supergo just re-naming them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr
    Just curious, where did you find your info about Kinesis and the end of the Weyless name? Is Supergo just re-naming them?
    I bought mine from the colo. store and the sales guy(terrible customer service I might add)told me that kinesis builds ALL the supergo branded mt bikes(weyless, access). If you do an internet search for kinesis(out of portland) you will find that they build many "name" brand bikes(specialized, Santa Cruz, Mtn Cycle), offer built, no name un-branded and "kinesis" branded frames to retailers (like supergo, REI-Novara, Performance, etc..) all built in their taiwanese factories. The issue for 2005 I believe is that Supergo has been consumed by Performance/Nashbar and the parent company is trying to bring all three companies in line-offering the exact same products. I just got a recent Supergo catalog in the mail this week and the changes are totally obvious, The catolog is shiny and flashy, unlike past supergo catalogs, has a lot of cross over products with Performance like lights etc., and they have totally discontinued any house brand mtn bikes, only have scattante road bikes avail. The weyless name is totally gone from all new product lines. The only mtn bike line they are selling now is Ironhorse. The "weyless" parts are now "supergo" parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. I did notice recently that their Weyless stems no longer carry that name. Do you know if pivot bearings and drop-outs can be had from Supergo or that comes from Kinesis? I'd like to get some backups.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. I did notice recently that their Weyless stems no longer carry that name. Do you know if pivot bearings and drop-outs can be had from Supergo or that comes from Kinesis? I'd like to get some backups.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Check supergo, they chould ahve them in stock

Quote Originally Posted by sfr4dr

The bearings are a standard size so you should be able to get anywhere, they should have the hangers in stock now, and I bet they will continue to carry for awhile.

Sep 2004
    So you're telling me a headtube should have a significant dent from rubbing after only 10 rides or so? I haven't rode in any mud. Just dirt. I'm sure what you said is right. It just seems like a REALLY short time for that to happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Is it a dent or a rub mark that you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by LLrider
    So you're telling me a headtube should have a significant dent from rubbing after only 10 rides or so? I haven't rode in any mud. Just dirt. I'm sure what you said is right. It just seems like a REALLY short time for that to happen.
    A dent is in the actual metal tubing and could never becaused by just a cable hitting it no matter what brand bike you have. If you are talking about a rub mark in the paint finish caused by a cable housing rubbing against it there are several issues 1) who cares, not gonna change the way the bike rides or lasts 2) any bike and any finish is capable of this sort of thing 3) it may be because your cables/housing are too long 4) put a sticker over the mark and ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey, i bought a full 04 weyless xp back in early december. i really like the bike, put about 200-300 miles on it. some bikes you have to change something out, not here, everything is really nice spec.

it's not a bad purchase for price conscious like me...it's all about the rider anyway..if a break the frame, supergo should give me a new one (whichever that may be).

the only issue is: i jut got the latest supergo catalog in the mail, no wayless bikes in it at all...about 10 new 05 iron horses though..i guess weyless bikes may be history, which may mean that the price may really plummet...its still a great deal, but not for snobs i guess

ride on

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

Wink old to new

I had a weyless 67 last year. I loved it, it was just to small. iIt sold almost overnight
    on MTBR. after a surgery and a lay of. 5 months go by and I purchesed a xp frame,
    black, this frame had a bad weld and made the frame out of alignment. When I took it to a shop in Mountianview Ca. and (after all the rude service) I got a new frame. This frame is as bombproof as the 67 and is lighter. I raced the 67 and no flaws could be noticed.
    Just the usual maintance. Still a great deal and a great bike. To bad supergo does not
    pic employees who actually want to work at a bike shop to help other riders.
    I'm thinking of cutting the front shock tabs to fit a longer stroke shock. I've read up on the geometry and the specs. It will work. Just tough to cut on a, allready, nice product.
    I'll keep you all posted

change is good
    Sep 2004

better than my Blur

Sold my Blur to get a Ventana, and I have to say that this is the best bike I've owned so far (I've not recieved the Ventana yet). Utterly realiable, good traction, and cheap. The rear is a little flexy, but if cost is a consideration, for an all mountain bike, this frame cannot be beat. However if you can afford to pay more there are left over Burners and Panteras out there. You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i would be very carefull about cutting...if you have extra money to buy a new one if the project goes sour, buy all means...i guess if the cut is bad or the holes are drilles wrong..then you could take it to somebady who could weld on some new but shorter tabs so you could try again. make you measurements dozens of times...how far can the frame pivot before the tire hits the seat post tube? if you fok up, do you have something else to ride

Quote Originally Posted by bikeland
    I had a weyless 67 last year. I loved it, it was just to small. iIt sold almost overnight
    on MTBR. after a surgery and a lay of. 5 months go by and I purchesed a xp frame,
    black, this frame had a bad weld and made the frame out of alignment. When I took it to a shop in Mountianview Ca. and (after all the rude service) I got a new frame. This frame is as bombproof as the 67 and is lighter. I raced the 67 and no flaws could be noticed.
    Just the usual maintance. Still a great deal and a great bike. To bad supergo does not
    pic employees who actually want to work at a bike shop to help other riders.
    I'm thinking of cutting the front shock tabs to fit a longer stroke shock. I've read up on the geometry and the specs. It will work. Just tough to cut on a, allready, nice product.
    I'll keep you all posted

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thank you all for your feedback and information....

I took the plunge this afternoon and should have the frame before the end of the week.....I'll be sure to post some pics....

Thanks again!

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

found rear shock to retrofit

[QUOTE=adamantane]i would be very carefull about cutting...
    Hey , Thanks for the advice I rechecked all you suggested and still am confident
    about the cut. I can fit 8" length and 2 1/2" stroke. I think i'll stay with a 2" stroke.
    If I'm correct this should be just shy of 7 inch travel. My old 67 never got a full 7inches
    of travel either, again just shy.
    So my reasoning is ... I have a 67 frame now but the shock tab is longer.
    If you think of any more good advice let me know. When I'm done I'll send pics.
    Thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, the frame just arrived and I am very pleased with the overall fit and finish of the frame. They even threw in a free Weyless seatpost which I wasn't expecting....

Here's a look at the frame...(click for larger image)

change is good
    Sep 2004

Beware the seatpost

Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH
    Well, the frame just arrived and I am very pleased with the overall fit and finish of the frame. They even threw in a free Weyless seatpost which I wasn't expecting....

Here's a look at the frame...(click for larger image)
    I'm much heavier than you so this warning may not pertain to someone of your weight, but the seatpost eventually gave up the ghost. It wasn't a castastrophic failure though.

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    i wish i would have gotten the black frame instead of orange
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does the orange suck? It looked alright in the few pics I've seen. Can't be that bad right?