Weight of standard XCL wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

New question here. Weight of standard XCL wheelset?

Does anyone happen to know what the Chumba OEM wheels that come with the standard XCL build kit weigh? TIA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Does anyone happen to know what the Chumba OEM wheels that come with the standard XCL build kit weigh? TIA.
    Hey..I just put a set on the scale yesterday. The pair came out to about 2100g. It was like 1150ish for the rear and about 950g. I don't remember the exact weight, but I kept thinking to myself that I could knock off an entire pound (~400g) and still have a pretty strong wheelset.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Was that with or without the through-axle skewers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Was that with or without the through-axle skewers?
    That was without the skewers.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, dubjay!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Hey..I just put a set on the scale yesterday. The pair came out to about 2100g. It was like 1150ish for the rear and about 950g. I don't remember the exact weight, but I kept thinking to myself that I could knock off an entire pound (~400g) and still have a pretty strong wheelset.
    Probably not. Remember those are 20mm axle front with a 10mm axle rear, if they are the ones on the website. Mavic Crossmaxx XL's are 1865g and they are at the lower limit of heavy duty XC wheelsets. You might be able to save half a pound but that's be at the cost of durability if you ride hard.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Probably not. Remember those are 20mm axle front with a 10mm axle rear, if they are the ones on the website. Mavic Crossmaxx XL's are 1865g and they are at the lower limit of heavy duty XC wheelsets. You might be able to save half a pound but that's be at the cost of durability if you ride hard.
    I dunno - I think you can definitely still go a little lighter and keep the wheelset pretty durable. The DT Swiss 1750's can take a beating. They come with their 5.1d rims and weigh in like their namesake at 1750g. That was the wheelset I had in mind with the 1 pound figure popped in my head.

Apr 2007
    Dubjay ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I dunno - I think you can definitely still go a little lighter and keep the wheelset pretty durable. The DT Swiss 1750's can take a beating. They come with their 5.1d rims and weigh in like their namesake at 1750g. That was the wheelset I had in mind with the 1 pound figure popped in my head.
    Holy sh*t, $1100.00 for those DT wheels. I honestly don't see how they can justify that price?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Econ 101! They raise the price till the profit curve flattens out then rake it in.

If nobody was buying them at that price, the price would fall.

Capitalism sorta s**ks in that regard, but if it weren't for the profit motive there would be little or no choice.

I want a set.

mtbr member
    I ordered some wheel parts today for an XCL that I'm putting together. On paper, the wheels should come out to be around 1720g tubeless ready. We'll see what they actually weigh when it's all said and done.

I think they'll be able to take a beating, so they might even perform double duty on the EVO too.

Stan's ZTR Flow rims
    Hope Pro II hubs - Gunsmoke
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    Alloy nipples

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I ordered some wheel parts today for an XCL that I'm putting together. On paper, the wheels should come out to be around 1720g tubeless ready. We'll see what they actually weigh when it's all said and done.

I think they'll be able to take a beating, so they might even perform double duty on the EVO too.

Stan's ZTR Flow rims
    Hope Pro II hubs - Gunsmoke
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    Alloy nipples
    Freaky, I actually had that same setup mapped out for my XCL except the CX-ray spokes. Have you seen those spokes? They are VERY thin like a Wheelsmith XL 14 or DT Revolution. While I don't have experience with CX Ray's I have much experience building wheels with the afforementioned DT's and Wheelsmiths and I'd be hesitant to use them on a "bigger" bike.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Freaky, I actually had that same setup mapped out for my XCL except the CX-ray spokes. Have you seen those spokes? They are VERY thin like a Wheelsmith XL 14 or DT Revolution. While I don't have experience with CX Ray's I have much experience building wheels with the afforementioned DT's and Wheelsmiths and I'd be hesitant to use them on a "bigger" bike.
    Yeah - I hear what you're saying. They are pretty damn thin, but I think I bought into the marketing hype.

Supposed Nico uses them on his DH bike and various posters on MTBR have had good success with them.

From a weight savings point of view, they are supposed to be about 100g lighter (2 wheels) than a comparable set of DT Swiss Comps (which I normally use).

We'll see how they work on the XCL. I'm not anticipating on being as rough on the XCL as I am on the EVO, but who knows..when you're in the moment...

Members who have read this thread: 0