• Shimano XT 11-34 cassette
    • Chumba factory wheels w/ 9 mm QR thru-axles
    • Maxxis Minion DH-F/DH-R 2.35 tires
    • Unknown tubes
    • Chumba chainstay protector
    • Volunteer Trail Patrol sign
    • 4 Velcro quick-ties
    • Trail dust

It would be nice to get this bad boy down to 30 lbs or so. I think the next step in my "diet plan" will be some lighter wheels and tires. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    Cograts, that's a beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Besides the wheels and tires that you mentioned already (you might be able to lose about 1-1.5 lbs there already), you can opt for a lighter shock as well. An RP23 weighs about half of what the DHX does. (200g vs. 400g)

The FSA crankset is about 120-130g heavier than an XT. Not sure if the cost is worth it there. Maybe when the chainrings wear out?

You may find some small weight deductions in some other parts too, but it may end up costing more than you like.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, for instance a carbon handlebar would save about 100 g, but the cost of saving that weight is about $1/gram. Lighter wheels and tires would be less costly on a per-gram basis. And I'm already thinking about alternatives to the DHX Air.

BTW, if I was doing this build today, I'd probably go for the Float RLC fork. The TALAS travel adjust is nice, but I don't use it all that often.

nerfherder
    Lighter wheels and tires would also give you one of the most noticeable performance improvements, too.

shred my gnar
    damn... nice build chucko! i love the grey ano frame.

as you and everyone else has mentioned i would start with those tires... i run a 2.5 wtb (bob)weirwolf on the front (of my xcl)... it weighs in at 760g and i know those minions are well over 1000g each. plus you are actually getting a bigger tire (higher volume) with less weight... i have never have any issues with sidewall or durability/pinch flats problems with those wtbs.

then there are the wheels.... much larger cost but i say use em up first for a year or two then go big with a dt wheel set like the ex 1750 or 5.1d's... sun is making some nice wheelsets these days as well and i think they come in pretty reasonably on the $$$ factor.

BUT... you will get use to the heavier wheels b4 you know it... plus those puppies look pretty beefy so utilize that beef and go BOMB so rocky/rooty/drops fun dowhnhill stuff in the meantime. same goes for the bars/stem.... you can always get some carbon stuff or lighter xc type stuff but i say go with the beef regardless... the weight will mean little to you once you are accustomed to riding it and it will last longer anyway. my $.02

locked - time out
    That XCL is sweet.

BUT my ELLs. Moment is only 2#'s heavier and has 7" of travel in the front and 6" in the rear.

A diet may be in order.

How heavy are the chumba wheels? Is the saddle ti or cro-mo?
    Get a thomson stem, some carbon bars, and change to a rp23.

Beauty XCL.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The saddle has cromoly rails AFAIK. A shorter, lighter stem is on order.

Most of the components are from the standard Chumba build kit. The big changes on my bike are the XT cassette (> 100g lighter than the SRAM 970) and the Thomson post instead of the standard Truvativ. So I'd say this is pretty representative of what the average non-weight-weenie XCL buyer will get.

In reality the bike doesn't feel all that porky. It's a little heavier than my old hardtail but soooooo much plusher. At 220 lbs dressed to ride, I'm no lightweight myself, so I don't mind a little extra beef in the components.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    In reality the bike doesn't feel all that porky. It's a little heavier than my old hardtail but soooooo much plusher. At 220 lbs dressed to ride, I'm no lightweight myself, so I don't mind a little extra beef in the components.
    my feelings 100%... jason set-up my xcl w/ hussefelt dh bars and some other fairly beefy **** and with my weight (same as yours pretty much) i think thats the way to go.

Trophy Husband
    chucko

Love the bike. It looks killer!

It's not a bad weight, but could lose a bit with a wheelset. My XCL is similar in weight (32.6), but I have a Fox 36 Talas on mine.

The 2007 Roco air would shave 100g.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lightweight Chumba XCL

My new (last year's model) Chumba XCL wieghs 28.1 lbs. Just picked it up from Glen at Bitterbrush Cycles in Lyons, Colorado. The new XTR pedals I ordered should take it below 28 lbs.

Medium XCL frame (made in USA)
    '07 Fox DHX Air 5.0 shock
    '08 Fox 32 TALAS RLC fork
    FSA headset
    Truvativ 100 mm stem
    Unknown riser bar
    Ergon GP1 large grips
    XTR trigger shifters
    Avid Juicy 7 brakes
    Unknown spacers
    Eaton carbon seatpost
    WTB Rocket saddle
    Shimano '08 175mm XTR crankset
    Shimano flat pedals
    Shimano chain
    Shimano XT front derailleur
    Shimano XTR rear derailleur
    Shimano XTR cassette
    Mavic Cossmax SL wheels
    Bontrager Jones XR "tubeless ready" tires with no tubes

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Forgot: Salsa Moto carbon handlebars.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    28 lbs! That's pretty good. Those Salsa carbon bars look good, I'm putting them on my wish list.

Turns out just switching from the Minions to Panaracer Rampage tires alone should cut a full pound off my bike! Once I get the Rampages on it I'll save the Minions for the rainy season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Featherweights! Mine comes in at 36.6. And yes, I HAVE been thinking about new wheels as well. XT cranks would be nice, and an SDG I-beam combo, RP23.. New stem and bars? Sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I took more than two pounds off the bike by switching tires from Michelin Mountain X'Trem 26.0 x 2.20 tubeless tires (1100 grams each) to Bontrager Jones XR 26 x 2.2 "tubeless ready" tires (500 grams each). The Bontragers seem fine, but obviously do not have quite the same grip as the Michelins. The Bontragers climb over rocks just fine, and have yet to slip out from beneath me when I don't want them to, even on wet rocks. The weight savings on the wheels is apparent when biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Heres my build and weight:

frame: large gray ano + DHX shock
    fork: Pike uturn dual air
    Handlebar and seatpost: Race Face Deus XC
    Stem: Ritchey Comp 120mm
    Headset: Chris King + 3 spacers
    Drivedtrain: all Sram X.9, except maybe the front der. is XT think
    Saddle: WTB Rocket, chromoly rails
    Wheels: front DT 4.2 + WTB laserdisk front hub,
    rear Mavic 321 + XT rear hub
    Tires: Weirwolf 2.3s with tubes + sealant(adds about 1/2 lb)
    Cranks: XT

On bike shop digital scale it read 31.6 lbs.
    Adding Shimano 520 pedals probably puts it at around 32.2 - 32.3 lbs.

The bike climbs very well in general, especially considering its weight, but on long
    tough climbs I do notice my energy being sapped a lot quicker do to the weight.
    I would like it be around 29 - 30 lbs. I do a lot of climbing, so its important for me to
    do long climbs without having to stop and gasp for air every several hundred feet or so.
    Any thoughts on the most cost effective way to reduce the weight a couple pounds on
    this bike ? The previous poster mentioned going tubeless, but arent the rims for tubeless
    tires a tad heavier than regular ones ? Would this really save that much weight ?
    The best I can come up with is going with a different rear wheel, and switching to a carbon seatpost, if they make any with the right size to match the seattube diameter
    of this frame. I'd prefer to stick with the DHX rear shock for now, even though I could
    save 1/2 lb by going with the rp23.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My Chumba replaced a 2003 Specilaized Stumpjumper. The trail I ride 5-6 days a week is Hall Ranch, which from my house has about 1,600 feet of vertical, and therefore a lot of climbing. Initially I was quite disappointed in the climbing performance of my Chumba compared to the Stumpjumper, mostly due to the Chumba's weight. Now that I have slimmed the bike down climbing has become a lot less arduous. On the positive side, and aside from weight, the Chumba has a higher bottom bracket and a geometry that is superior for rolling over rocks and obstacles on the trail. I can straighline a lot of stuff climbing that the Stumpjumper would have had trouble doing. The downhill is, of course, much better on the Chumba than the Stumpjumper. I I would recommend focusing on reducing the wheel weight. For example, a set of Mavic UST Crossland tubeless rims and Mavic hubs along with Bontrager tubeless ready tires might shave around three pounds off your current setup. The problem in reducing weight is, of course, money.

mtbr member
    May 2006

slim down that xcl

A quality wheelset would definitely be a good place to start. Lower rotating weight. I'd also recommend checking out Stan's notubes system, takes a little time to set up, but once dialed is awesome.

Also, have you checked out the new Marzocchi xc 700 sl, adjustable travel 90 to 130 at about 3.1 lbs. seen 'em on ebay fer about four bills.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It would be nice to get this bad boy down to 30 lbs or so. I think the next step in my "diet plan" will be some lighter wheels and tires. Any other suggestions?
    That bike looks really good, chucko; it's almost exactly what I've been imagining since I noticed how awesome the XCL is about a week ago.

I would be extremely interested to see (or read about) any changes you decide to make, and to know how the changes affect the weight and ride of your rig.

Please keep us informed about this most interesting and worthy endeavor!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I've swapped the bar and stem. It now has an Alpha Q 90 mm 7 degree stem and a Titec Pluto carbon fiber 2" riser bar (Greenfish had the bar for $65!).

The stem was a bit of a blunder; I thought I was getting a 17 degree stem. Nothing wrong with the Alpha Q - it's light and it's designed to be used with carbon bars - but for the same price I could have had a Thomson X4. The original 100 mm stem was just a tad too long.

And the Brown Santa (UPS) just arrived with a pair of Kenda Cortez 2.4 tires. They should shave another 2-300 grams. Supposedly the Cortez is only good in the dry, but we've still got a couple dry months til the rainy season starts here. I'll try to get a weight with the new rubber in the next few days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Chucko, I know you like the Float RLC to save weight and it lowers the complexity a bit-less ajustments to worry about.

What about the shock? Do you think the RP-23 would be adequate to provide enough rear suspension for this rig? It apparently would shave nearly a half a pound vs. the DHX Air, and apparently costs less too.

I guess my concern would be whether or not it is a robust enough damper for the aggressive nature of this rig. What do you think?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    This is my first FS bike, so I couldn't tell you whether the RP23 is adequate from experience, but it is one of the shocks Chumba offers as OEM.

It looks like I'm going in more of an XC direction with my build. I'm thinking of a Cane Creek Cloud 9 as my next "weight weenie" upgrade.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cool! I've heard the Cloud Nine is very smooth and servicable.

I'm looking to get a new all purpose full susp. over the winter, and the XCL is on the short list.

Seems most of the builds are about 31 or 32 lbs. though which is bit heavy for my old body to be dragging up hills.

I want to get whatever I buy in at no more than 28, less, if I can do it without too much cash or loss of durability.

Let us know what you do and what it does for you! I checked out your H. Page so I know you are putting a great deal of intelligent thought into your bike.

It's nice to be a follower some times!

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    While I'm no kid either, my experience has been that you won't feel tied down by 32 lbs. of XCL on the trail. Sure, lighter is better, but unless you're used to a light XC hardtail or a carbon FS bike, you'll be surprised how light the XCL feels under you. Climbing hills hasn't been an issue for me, or at least I can't blame the bike.

Getting an XCL down to 28 lbs. while retaining its versatility and durability is going to be a challenge. I'll be happy to get mine under 30.

I often recommend the XCL to Clydes and aggressive riders looking at the Titus MotoLite... so if you don't fit either category, you might look at the MotoLite instead.

Also, I'm not sure a carbon XC bar on a 5" travel bike qualifies as "intelligent thought"!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A carbon fiber bar would make me nervous, if I can find a CF seatpost that
    fits, I might eventually do that. I think the wheels are the best place to
    put your money, as thats rotating weight. But you're talking $800 minimum
    to get significant weight savings. I think I'll just enjoy riding my 32 # bike
    for now, and when parts wear out, replace them with lighter ones, or if
    fundage permits, replace a few things like the stem, which is heavy.
    What did you say yours currrently weighed, chucko ?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I figure it's down in the 31 lb range as ridden today. I put the Kenda Cortez tires and some "lunar light" tubes and went to Skeggs... the Cortez doesn't grip as well as the Minion in the dustier parts around here, but the bike feels like a rocketship on downhills now!

A CF seat post would scare me more than the CF bar! If the bar breaks, you're going down, but you're not going to be sitting on shards of carbon!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A CF seat post would scare me more than the CF bar! If the bar breaks, you're going down, but you're not going to be sitting on shards of carbon!

The carbon bar LOOKS really good. I am a little shy of carbon in general though.

And the above statement (to me, anyway) is an example of intelligent thought.

Or at least a well honed sense of self preservation!

Trophy Husband
    ....but you're not going to be sitting on shards of carbon!
    Rectum? Hell, nearly killed 'em!
    - the greatest punchline of all time
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I had an al seatpost snap during a ride on my old hardtail - 10 yrs. + at the time -
    a few years ago. I wasn't on a major downhill or anything, but I didn't lose control
    or crash because of it. On the other hand, I dont see how you can avoid a crash
    if your handlebar snaps during a ride. If you're doing a technical downhill, the
    results could be catastrophic. I would much rather risk a seatpost snapping
    than a handlebar, dont forget youve still got the seat between your hynnie and
    the seatpost

Members who have read this thread: 0