Want to get an F4 but have some questions- Mtbr.com

Jan 2007

Want to get an F4 but have some questions

Hi Guys,

I currently have an '02 BigHit running 200mm Dorado forks (MRD xvert). I am looking to upgrade as my riding is moving more towards downhill/freeride blasting single track, rock gardens etc and I am looking for a rig that will take me to the next level in my skill and riding. I am hearing great things about the F4 and have some questions I hope someone in this forum can help me with.

Does anyone run 200 mm Dorado forks with their F4 and/or have any comments about running this setup (positive or negative)?

Will I need any special adapters on the floating brake setup to use my Shimano 8 inch disk brake kit? Do i need to source these from Chumba?

Thanks in advance, and hope to be a proud Chumba owner soon,
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob_P; 01-14-2007 at 10:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I picked up a used F4 this off season and am in the proccess of building it up. Since she's not built yet I can't comment on how she rides.

As for the brake setup, my floater requires the use of a caliper designed for a 6" rotor to run an 8" rotor (its like the floater is a built in 8" adapter). Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Clem

Jan 2007

Thanks Clem

Thanks for responding Clem.

What forks are you planning on running with your F4?

Sorry got a little confused on your comments on the brakes... are you saying the floater that comes with the F4 is designed for an 8" rotor but you need an adapted because you are running a 6" rotor or vice versa?

Thanks again Clem

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No problem Rob.

I'll be running a pair of Shivers up front.

I thought it might be a bit confusing. The floater on my F4 is designed for an 8" rotor. I have an 8" rotor on the rear wheel. But, the caliper I needed to use is one designed for a 6" rotor. So, I'm assuming you'll have to switch your 8" XT adapters to a 6". Does that make any more sense?

Clem

Jan 2007
    crystal clear - thanks again Clem

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i think u asked me this via email but just in case ... buy it your not going to find a better dh out there .... i stand by it ... ive had 03 intense m1 03 santa cruz v10 04 Giant team dh and hands down its just better ... ive also had a chance to demo a giant glory i like it to but i like the chumba more as a all around dh and dh race bike ...also been able to demo or ride a buds 06 iron horse sunday i liked it to but once again got back on the chumba and liked it alot more .... been on a orange 223, Norco team dh 06, turner 02 dhr and 06, but most of these have only been for a couple runs in whistler no real time to get used to them ..... if your looking to save a buck and buy used check out nsmb.com and pinkbike.com lots of used dh bikes on there

Jan 2007
    Thanks cdn_rider.... I took your advice and bought the frame. Now starts the process of building it up. I will transer some bits from my old bike, but will need to get headset, chainguide, handlebars, cranks & chainring. What setup are you running on your bike? always interested in what is working for others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sick to hear u have a chumba f4 ... im running fox 40 rc2 fox dhx 5.0 hadley hubs on singletrack rims magura louise FR brakes raceface cranks michelin tires chromag bar and stem fsa pig pro headset thompson post .. the chain guide i have is custom to my frame u might wanna ask chumba about that ... 8 spd shimano xtr shifter derailer ... let me know how the bild goes of if you have any questions feel free to ask away

mtbr member
    I had a 2004 F4 and I also liked the bike a lot.
    here is a list of what I considered weaknesses:
    1. Rear end/wheel felt twisty on high speed corners and any speed berms. Maybe a 150 rear axle anr/or bigger swing arm would help.
    2. I was contsantly blowing shocks, I think this was a romic issue 100% not chumba. I did use a 2005 fox DHX 5.0 for a race and I liked that better. A Cane Creek DB would rock on an F4/5
    3. No ISCG tabs, pain in the ass to have a E.13 on there.

I have also ridden and owned many different DH bikes and I would buy another F4 if a few of my issues were resolved.

Jan 2007

What size rear hub is needed for the F4

Firsly a big thanks to Clem, cdn_rider and boogenman for your feedback...it is most appreciated.

I do have another question.... what width hub is needed for the F4? I tried to slip on a wheel I had with a 150mm x12mm hub but the wheel is too wide. The inner measurement of the rear end is 144mm, so with the floating brake I am assuming I need to run a 135mm hub...is that what you guys are running or is there something suspect about the rear end of my frame??

Thanks Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ya its a 135mm hub ... plus the floater makes it like 150mm ... in response to the other post .. rear end twisty ? dude im 220 lbs twisty i think not, its stiff and i put the bike through its paces on the north shore and in whistler and other BC riding ... I have no idea about the romic i run fox dhx and my backup is a vanilla rc pro pedal ... ya the non ISCG mount kinda sucks but with the Chumba custom guide i never drop a chain .. the one thing i do have to say is the wearing of the Shocks DU bushings like 10-20 rides and i can feel play .... and i ride the bike once to four times a week depending on the season

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rider
    ya its a 135mm hub ... plus the floater makes it like 150mm ... in response to the other post .. rear end twisty ? dude im 220 lbs twisty i think not, its stiff and i put the bike through its paces on the north shore and in whistler and other BC riding ... I have no idea about the romic i run fox dhx and my backup is a vanilla rc pro pedal ... ya the non ISCG mount kinda sucks but with the Chumba custom guide i never drop a chain .. the one thing i do have to say is the wearing of the Shocks DU bushings like 10-20 rides and i can feel play .... and i ride the bike once to four times a week depending on the season
    i bought an f5 and after reading your reviews,man i'm soo excited,the buid is finally complete and i can't wait,my only concern is the linkage bushing and those high tensile bolts near the dogbone!!!why not put stainless or ti bolts on their!!!!
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sick .... your going to love it i wanna ride try and f5 .... ive been on mine for a year now and no real problems with the bolts or small linkage .... im going to have to order a rebuild kit for the start of the season just to have my bike fresh ...

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rider
    sick .... your going to love it i wanna ride try and f5 .... ive been on mine for a year now and no real problems with the bolts or small linkage .... im going to have to order a rebuild kit for the start of the season just to have my bike fresh ...
    how long do you think the bushing (linkage)is going to last?
    ouin! pas pire.

Members who have read this thread: 0