Visited Chumba HQ - sorry, no pics- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

Visited Chumba HQ - sorry, no pics

Last week I was in the Inland Empire east of L.A. and had a little time to kill, so I paid a brief visit to Chumba Racing headquarters in Anaheim. ChumbaJason graciously showed me around their modest facility. It's amazing that they can do so much in such a small space!

Jason showed me the "museum" in the front office with Lisa Sher's race bike, and the back room where old prototypes rest alongside current frame jigs, the demo fleet patiently awaits another day in the sun, and dozens of outsourced frames await inspection while their boxed brethren wait to be shipped. And I got to meet Ted, the chief designer, who looks nothing like the mad scientist I imagined.

Interesting thing - Jason himself pointed to the weld quality and a couple other details on the outsourced frames as being superior to the USA frames. The new EVO has one-piece formed seat and down tubes where the older USA version uses two-piece cut and welded tubes. This just confirms my opinion that there is no technical reason to prefer the handbuilt USA frames, especially when the outsourced frames are cheaper!

Thanks to ChumbaJason and Jason K. for taking time out of their busy days to show a customer around. Sorry I missed you, Alan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    awsome! I've been there quite a few times, the last time was before interbike. They were building theyre booth frame I believe. Definitely a cool place. Even though I had to peel a bunch of stickers while I was there! Good thing its getting cold lately, maybe now a lack of an air conditioner will be acceptable. I've always wanted to just stop by and help out every now and then.

I haven't gotten the chance to meet Ted personaly but I watched him put together the interbike booth with Jason . Ted seems very much like a quite man and I like how these guys wear flip flops and soft toe shoes in a shop where things can smash your toes... haha I love Chumba. Alan is a character I must say- never know what he will say next. Chumba gang unite!
    I like rice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Members who have read this thread: 0