VF2 vs. XCL frames & riding characteristics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

VF2 vs. XCL frames & riding characteristics

I currently have an Evo and have been seriously looking at XCL and VF2 frames.

Been thinking about a XCL and moving my Evo components to it to try out the frame/geometry/personality. I figure with the type of riding I mainly do, singletracks, fire roads, climbing, very little shuttle or true all mountain/free-ride, the Evo is a little overkill for me. I have the sense that the XCL is a great all around trail bike that is also very strong for the occasional shuttle/Big Bear runs.

But the VF2 is really appealing, though a lighter frame more for XC style of riding.

So, what are folks experiences with the VF2 re: singletrack handling characteristics?
    Chumbas in general seem to be built really strong.
    Is the VF2 frame also a good strong trails bike with the occasional shuttling/Bear Big type ride?

What are your opinions/thoughts about moving my Evo all mountain type components to a VF2 frame, though I figure I'll have to set my 36 Talas fork to a 5" setting instead of its full 6"?

For the folks who have ridden both, what are some of the differences in characteristics/personality between the VF2 and the XCL, mainly with singletrack riding?

Loving the Chumbas and the folks behind it, so will definitely be sticking with a Chumba frame for the next bike.

Any f/b would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to figure this all out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thats a hard call.

For me its more the intent of the bike. With the XCL i had no issues, throwing it about ditching it in a few corners and puting it the back tray on the way home. The VF2 seems to have a bit more class about it, i don't like the thought of crashing it etc.

In terms of ride characteristics, its just as stiff if not stiffer. Being lighter means you can change directions quicker (be it intentional or due to unseen obsticals), but a lot would depend on the build. So i guess it comes down to if you want an incredibly durable MTB (probably one of the most durable bikes on the market i would say), or a lighter ultra cool looking VF2.

I hope this helps.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Even do the VF2 is a lighter bike than the XCL, I think it is waaaay stronger than many xc bikes around there. Thatīs why this bike is considered a trail bike and not a XC/race bike, and I agree with that.
    I went to a volcano yesterday (itīs name is Iztaccihuatl), climbed about 3900 feet in 10 miles, it was a very tough climb. But while going down the bike behaved great! We were descending at about 37 miles per hour, my friends says we were even faster in some parts, there were many jumps, stones and uneven terrain. Wow the bike performed great.
    In some other rides, I have jumped 9 feet drops and the bike is going stronger than ever.

I just love my bike :-), but itīs capabilities and strong built is unquestionable.

jalepenio jimenez
    It would be tough to beat that last post from Psycho Marco, but I bought the VF2 frame early this spring and swapped out my components from my Giant Reign, put a 29er fork/wheel up front and what can I say? It rides like a dam wild horse, leader of the pack. Likes to go fast and even though I'm not completely settled in on it, it is frisky and a real nice ride. Takes corners fast (could be the 29er), likes to rear up, and jumps rocks, logs and anything in its way like they weren't there. But for all out downhill bombing, can't beat the Reign. It can really suck up the hits, but then it has another inch on the VF2. Oh yeah, I put a 100mm fork on the VF2 and figured with the extra 1 1/2" of wheel, I have the same standover as I would with a 26" wheel and a 140mm fork.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

Spin-stabilized
    I'm a light rider, 145 with gear and like technical terrain both up and down. The XCL is an excellent technical climber. With a travel adjustable fork, it is a very good choice for XC as well. I don't feel the weight too much, even when carrying it around for the occasional portage. I just took it on a very technical epic last Sat (90% primitive singletrack with insanely rocky ups and downs, 4900+ feet of climbing in 13 miles). I think the VF2 would have fared just as well except I crashed on that ride and the bike slammed and scraped against some huge boulders. The drive side chainstay is scratched and scraped to hell but no structural damage. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable subjecting a CF seatstay to the same type of abuse.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Proud bike-o-holic
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Even do the VF2 is a lighter bike than the XCL, I think it is waaaay stronger than many xc bikes around there. Thatīs why this bike is considered a trail bike and not a XC/race bike, and I agree with that.
    I went to a volcano yesterday (itīs name is Iztaccihuatl), climbed about 3900 feet in 10 miles, it was a very tough climb. But while going down the bike behaved great! We were descending at about 37 miles per hour, my friends says we were even faster in some parts, there were many jumps, stones and uneven terrain. Wow the bike performed great.
    In some other rides, I have jumped 9 feet drops and the bike is going stronger than ever.

I just love my bike :-), but itīs capabilities and strong built is unquestionable.
    I made a huge mistake, I said 9 FEET DROPS. I meant 3 feet drops. I think in metrical system so I need to multiply a meter per 3. But then I multiply again. Sorry. I meant 3 feet.

mtbr member
    Check this video out - not really recommending to do this, but it was a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779Ou...om=PL&index=11
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0