Very interested in getting an Evo. Let's hear some thoughts- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

Very interested in getting an Evo. Let's hear some thoughts

Hey guys, I've been searching for a new bike for about a month and just very recently was introduced to the Chumba Evo...I'll make my story short and sweet, I used to race in amature XC races when I was ~15-16 years old. Now I'm getting to be done with college and am getting back into biking after a short hiatus.

The Evo sounds to be a great all around performing frame. I want to get into some DH type riding and freeriding. So, you guys out there with an Evo frame: What'd ya think? I've been looking into the Specialized SX Trail, Yeti ASX, Santa Cruz Nomad and others. All are solid AM/FR bikes that can be built to lean towards AM or DH it seems. But since seeing the Evo, I'm VERY interested in this frame. A demo may not be possible seeing as I'm going to school in the SC mtns right now, would it?

Anyways, let hear some thoughts. What fork have you found best suits the geo of the frame? What kind of overall weights are you guys ending up with your builds?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Let me first say that i have had an Evo for about 1200 miles now and it continues to impress me and more importantly push my riding ability. Simply put, the bike is beefy, it will likely handle anything that you throw at it (you've got to see one in person). But perhaps most importantly is the fact that it is handbuilt in the USA. I am a firm believer in the quality control of the handmade bicycle. They do everything in house. I just had the opportunity to meet Ted (the owner/welder) at interbike and he seems like the most down to earth, nice guy.

Also, i don't think you can beat the price for the component build (if you choose a complete), ie DT Swiss wheels, Fox or Rockshox (the Lyric looks sweet by the way). Perhaps one could say this bike is built more on the Freeride side of things, but i have been happily riding mine on 3 hour climbs. I have built mine up more as an all-mountain rig, however. Check out the All Mountain Evo thread for my write up.

Some people don't seem to like the layed back seat-tube, but i have found it quite nice as i can get more stretched our on long climbs and closer in on the descents. The suspension is fully active, which i think is a big deal, because often the time when you need the suspension the most is also when you are braking. The unique center of gravity makes the bike feel very balanced, in my opinion and it tends to take corners and drops very well, almost naturally. Just some of my thoughts...

nerfherder
    Looking at your choices I think I'd narrow it down to the Nomad or Evo. But that's me.

I also loved the Evo. I have short legs (30 inch inseam) so the laid back seat tube doesn't result in as much post extending way over the back tire. I think you'll see some guys who complain about that but I'd be willing to be that they're taller in general. As uinta said, I like that I can raise the seat for a stretched out climbing position and drop it down and forwardto getitout of the way for dh.

What are the SC mountains? Santa Cruz? South Carolina?

Oh, and though this shouldn't be the primary reason to get a Chumba, you should know that the folks behind the bike are all first class.

Aug 2006

NC work?

Hey! I'm in VA but usually get to NC every month or two. I have an XCL you can ride or once the fellas get back from Vegas we can maybe make some arrangements to get a bike in your hands. Where are you in SC?

Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rusog
    Where are you in SC?
    I'm in school down in Clemson, SC right now and used to live right outside of Charlotte. I may be moving up towards the Charlottesville, VA area in about a year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My Evo weighs just a tad over 35lbs right now. With a different headset and stem, I could easily shave a pound off. The Evo can handle all types of riding. It just depends how you choose to build it up. I have been experimenting with a Pike coil and the Zoke light. Both work well. The Pike is better for xc and climbing applications and the Zoke is better for freeriding. I hate the travel adjust on the Zoke light though. U-turn owns Marzocchi in this regard imo.

The one thing you might have an issue with is the seat tube angle. I am about 5'10" with a very short inseam and it works for me, but taller riders seem to sitting on the back of the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and have a 32" inseem. the M/L Evo fits me like a glove. the bike is fun fun fun.
    I'm running a coil pike, and I have yet to experience a hard bottom out, but I am using all 140mm of travel. with the pike turned down to ~ 100mm, the Evo climbs great, and I'm coming from a hardtail with xc geometry.
    I haven't put the bike on a scale yet, but I'm guessing she's around 34-35lbs, and it's definitly not a weight weenie build. So there's room to lighten up if you wanted to.

Members who have read this thread: 0