Various XCL Builds- Mtbr.com
    Compulsive Bike Builder

Various XCL Builds

I played around with the configuration of my XCL as I swapped in a new front fork. It started off as shown in this previous post.

Since then I have decided to lose the aluminum rear rotor. That put it at 27 lbs 2 oz, or 27.1 lbs. Pics of bike on scale are included by popular demand. It shows pounds and ounces, not decimal pounds. I can't get the whole bike and a legible scale reading in the max image size allowed, and I had to edit out some stuff in the background, so you will just have to take my word to some extent on the weights and configs. All images are clickable.

My project was to swap the Fox 36 for a Lyrik 2 step, which I knew would be heavier. Before I installed the new parts, and while the bike was apart anyway, I decided to bolt together a lighter config just to see what it would weigh. I did not tune it or ride it, I just wanted a weight. So, from the base config above, I re installed an alloy rear rotor, installed a 160 mm stainless front rotor, a carbon post and Flite TT seat, a Fox Talas 32 fork and a lighter front wheel that matches the rear with a DT Swiss 240 hub and Notubes 355 rims. The results:

Yes, 25 lbs. That could be reduced further by installing the Fox F120 that I heard that several racers were racing with on XCLs- 1/2 pound lighter. I like that idea, it would give you race geometry at the same time. You could also go with Stan's Olympic rims instead of 355s and a few other changes and you could get pretty close to a 24 lb XCL racer.

As for my bike, I went from the Fox Talas 36 to a Lyrik 2 step. The '08 Fox is an amazing fork, Fox really did lighten it up compared to the '07 model with no discernable loss of stiffness. The Lyrik comes with a 100 gram penalty, but I love the ride of the fork, I can't wait for our trails to dry out in So Cal so I can take it out. As expected, the Lyrik added 4 oz or about 100 grams:

Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    Thanks for this builds DD. My 25lb XCL will be built! muahaha...now where to find $1500 for wheels + fork + stuff..

Hmm....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey right on the lyric two step on the xcl is nice. I've been runing that fork since shortly after I built it up in may. So much fun. I just swapped back to a pike u-turn for the winter riding in the cold and at night in colo. spgs. plays a little with air pressure. Like I said super fun very capable up for whatever. It helps to turn the bike upside down and work the fork a couple times to oil the seals and internals before a ride (butter it up).

Members who have read this thread: 0