Vail Cycle Works???- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Vail Cycle Works???

Anybody??

mtbr member

I've got one...

Both my GF and I have the Mega One SS model. I finally have mine built like I like and I'll be taking some pictures soon. It's my favorite bike by far, the workmanship is top-notch, they're painted at Spectrum Powder Works, and the tubeset is a really nice choice for the SS...it's Columbus Nivachrom with the Mega downtube to keep everything nice and stiff around the BB. Right now, I'm in the grey zone between a dual suspension and another steel hardtail for my next geared bike...if I decide steel hardtail, I'll be talking to VCW. I'll post pics when I get around to taking them.

Nate

Feb 2004
    Yeah I got one too , and I'm amazed that there not everywhere..I think they are a great ride and a good buy to boot,,,I've had my Mega-one for 3 years now and love it as much as the day I bought it,,, I think my webpage is on VCW's links--JJ

Feb 2004
    ?????????

mtbr member

I've got a roadie VCW.

It's not a custom and I'm still working on the fit. The Brooks saddle sure helped things!

I'm looking pretty hard at the Mega One EBB/Disc job. This time it will be cut-to-fit. SS is all I ride anymore except the roadie, and am thinking about a SS roadie---flip/flop fixed?

Mega One owners: is it generic sizing or custom? And if custom, how does it compare to your previous ride?

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtZilla
    It's not a custom and I'm still working on the fit. The Brooks saddle sure helped things!

I'm looking pretty hard at the Mega One EBB/Disc job. This time it will be cut-to-fit. SS is all I ride anymore except the roadie, and am thinking about a SS roadie---flip/flop fixed?

Mega One owners: is it generic sizing or custom? And if custom, how does it compare to your previous ride?
    The 19" Mega-one fit me to a Tee, so custom wasn't needed. I got the single speed bug myself a few yaers ago and ride nothing else. For the life of me I don't understand why Jack doesn't get more respect on the MTBR message board his bikes are as good as it gets and he will really work with you on parts pricing and fit etc. -JJ

mtbr member

Mega One Sizing...

I also fit the 19" stock sizing to a tee. It's a little bit longer in the TT than Jack's stock MTB sizing but I like it a little bit better this way. If you have a current SS that you like, take the measuring tape to it and compare it to the geometry tables for the Mega One. If you're not matching up, Jack will make you whatever you want...and you'll save a few hundred bucks over the IF/Steelman/Strong/Sycip/etc...

You're right about VCW not getting the respect he deserves, but I think it's a factor of exposure. Aside from mine and my girlfriend's Mega Ones, I've only ever seen one other VCW...and that was in Vail. I raced mine here in Wisconsin last weekend and got lots of questions about where/who built my frame. Maybe I should order a jersey! I've got nothing but good things to say about VCW.

I still need to take some pics...

mtbr member

It's reputation. I met Jack on Roadie review.

That's what is funny. I've ridden my VCW in several large group rides 300-400 riders and not one has ever commented on my frame. I cruise the parking areas everytime looking for other custom builds. One guy shocked me when I said "who built that (a fixie) and he said "I did".

I've been looking at all the custom builders I could find recently and find that experience and reputation are the biggest part of the marketing. The names that you've heard of cost the most and take the longest. Some aren't even taking orders. Some are 24 months behind. So guys in that category go up on the price and the demand simmers down. The newer guys have lower prices and quicker turnaround as a rule.

I'm looking to have a lugged roadie built for a friend. We're down to three builders with 5-8 week quotes on turnaround. The prices - 1250, 2100, then 1950 going to 2400 in June. 1250 is a Lesser known. the other two have been building for a while.

I think Jack is on the younger side. My next TIGed bike will be from Jack or Kish, but when I go for lugs? Maybe that 1250 guy I referred to.

Heck, there are no custom builders around here. I'm thinking about setting up shop hmmmmm.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtZilla
    I've been looking at all the custom builders I could find recently and find that experience and reputation are the biggest part of the marketing. The names that you've heard of cost the most and take the longest. Some aren't even taking orders. Some are 24 months behind. So guys in that category go up on the price and the demand simmers down. The newer guys have lower prices and quicker turnaround as a rule.

I think Jack is on the younger side. My next TIGed bike will be from Jack or Kish, but when I go for lugs? Maybe that 1250 guy I referred to.

Heck, there are no custom builders around here. I'm thinking about setting up shop hmmmmm.
    Experience has very little to do with how successful these guys are. Also, quoted wait times don't always reflect a "busy" shop, my experience has been that they're often more a result of poor organization or other peripheral circumstances that have nothing to do with the number of bikes going out.

I am familiar with both brands you bring up - VCW has been around for over a decade, longer than a lot of the brands that people often assume have more experience or are somehow "better" because they buy bigger ads, or charge more, or get more airtime on message boards like this.

Kish has been building even longer, and has taught tons of "bigger" names the craft, but he flies under the radar for the most part, too.

mtbr member

I'm going to do it.

Yep, I'm going to start building frames. There isn't anyone within a "day's drive" around here. Except Sano--and and a guy in Arkansas.

Anyway. I didn't mean to imply that the lower priced souces are lesser frames.

I want to make it easier for folks around here (mid TN) to get a cut-to-fit frame. I'll have other sources of income--so I don't starve to death. But right after I pass this pesky bar exam, I'm going to frame building school. I have shop and torches.

Later.

Quote Originally Posted by VicMarilyn
    Experience has very little to do with how successful these guys are. Also, quoted wait times don't always reflect a "busy" shop, my experience has been that they're often more a result of poor organization or other peripheral circumstances that have nothing to do with the number of bikes going out.

I am familiar with both brands you bring up - VCW has been around for over a decade, longer than a lot of the brands that people often assume have more experience or are somehow "better" because they buy bigger ads, or charge more, or get more airtime on message boards like this.

Kish has been building even longer, and has taught tons of "bigger" names the craft, but he flies under the radar for the most part, too.

Feb 2004

Vail Cycle Works Mega-one

I recently rode mine on a 50mile charity ride ,,I'm gonna try using a 700c fixed wheel in the rear next time. It was fun keeping up with the wanna be roadies on a s/s mtb