Transition Preston Owner Feedback Wanted- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    Transition Preston Owner Feedback Wanted

    I am interested in the Transition Preston for next year and would like to here some feedback from riders of this bike. I like to trail/freeride with a significant amount of climbing, and I do enjoy climbing. Right now I am on Yeti ASX and finf I cn not keep the front end down for my climbs and the bike is just too heavy for the steep stuff as well - although this is an awsome bike for everything else, even moderate climbs. I am most interested in how the Preston perfoms on the steep climbing, like when you have put your colon on the point of your seet and your lips on your stem (maybe not quite that steep, but you know what I mean). Pics of your Preston would be apreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    Preston Owners....

    Preston owners are either far and few between or are too busy riding their bike to be hovering in the message boards. If you know any Preston owners, please prod them to replay or post for them. Thanks.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    Get a grip

    Brooksie,

    You want a sub 30 pound bike, with a coil shock, that can handle 4-6 foot drops, that climbs well, and can handle a guy with a 250 pound frame that can break even the toughest parts?

    I think you need to re-examine what you are really looking for out of mountain biking.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    ... and if we just ... WTF Man

    Esquire,
    I am mainly interested in the climbing performance of the Preston. I cannot find any reviews that tell me how well this bike climbs. I do know I don't want to be fighting the front wheel down again for another season. Don't get me wrong - I like really like the ASX for everything, except for the moderate to steep climbing, which is a large portion of what I do at MWS and enjoy doing it. So, in short, you are somewhat right - I do want a light bike that climbs well and will cart my ass without breaking it and if that means I can't do more than a 2-foot drop, then that will be my limit. I want a bike for 90% of my riding and I will suffer the other 10%. The Preston is at the top of my list for '05, but I just want more information before I decide. I am being realistic and feel I do have a grip. Now go out there and get me that 26lb bike that climbs like a goat, freerides like a banshee and rugged enough to break the horn off an anvil!!!!!
    Later my friend.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esquire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,653

    1-word

    Scirocco

    Does all you want. Climbs, great geometry for drops and even climbing with a Z1, and can be built up, even with stout rims, easily under 28.

    :-)


    I'll keep looking for a FS.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    2 words

    Ouch Baby!

    I don't think my ass can adjust back to a hard tail after having 7.5" under it all last season. I would definetly have to take the fanny pack out of retirement! It is a great bike though - tough as nails.
    If the Scirocco was my second bike, then I would have a little different spec for the FS. Keep you eyes out. Don has informed me you guys may have Intense and the 5.5 is one I have had my eye on, as well as the 575, Heckler, 5-Spot, X5, Chaparral, and of course, the Preston. I am very impressed with the lines of bikes you guys now carry - great choices! Cash flow may become the deciding factor as I am going to try to gey Tyler something descent this year as well. Keep the info coming! - Thanks

  7. #7
    Bike Hoor
    Reputation: Innocent Bystander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    675
    Strong, Light, Inexpensive. Pick 2, any 2.

    I think the Preston comes the closest to all 3 of any bike out there.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    The Preston - One Sweet Looking Ride

    The Preston........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kbrooks; 11-10-2004 at 06:31 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,592
    Anyone care to guestimate the weight of that Preston FR in the photo?

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    Preston Wieght

    Per the website http://www.transitionbikes.com/PrestonFR.cfm "Frame Weight (including rear shock): 8.5lbs."

    I think the Preston could easily be built up under 32lbs for XC/Trail riding componentry, and I would expect the Preston pictured in this thread is right around that wieght.

    Anyone thinking of purchasing this bike in 2005?
    I am considdering this bike for myself.

  11. #11
    All show all the time
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    60
    I don't currently own a Preston, but I have spent some time riding one. The one I was riding was built up a lot heavier than it could have been, but it was still a really fun ride. I got to take it for a rip down A-Line at Whistler, and then on a couple longer XCish rides. The bike climbs really well, it accelerates very fast, its nimble on the trail, and just generally a blast to ride. The Preston is also a very tough bike. JS, Transitions Pro rider in Whistler does everything (DH Racing, many many days in the bike park, Shore, Epic rides, etc) on his Preston, and has had no problems with it.

    You should check out some of the reviews on the bike. Hickhucksters.com did a review, and so did NSMB.com a while back. I think they are both linked off of Transition's website. They are both very favorable reviews. Provided my cashflow allows, I will be getting a 2005 Preston sometime next spring to be my trail bike.

    Kyle and Kevin from Transition are great guys to buy a bike from, and the Preston is a great bike, I think you would be happy with it.

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    Climbing with the Preston

    A few things are holding me back from choosing the Preston:
    1. I think the rear tire can only be 2.3 max - with mud, she will be tight!
    2. Have not yet heard how well this bike clibs, except for what you said in the previous. I will be doing a mixture of trail riding and tecnical climbing for 90% of my riding.
    3. Marketability for this bike may be sketchy - I buy a new bike every year and I am worried about getting it sold for what I want out of it. There are not a lot of riders looking for a used Transition Preston, only because it's lack of popularity, although it is a top quality bike.

  13. #13
    All show all the time
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    60
    The 2005 Preston will clear a 2.7" tire (they should be available sometime early next year).
    The current Preston clears at least a 2.4 without an issue, with a 2.3 you would have a decent amount of mud clearance.
    The bike climbs very well. Its not a hardtail, but if you are doing a mixture of trail riding and technical climbing, it will work great. I am sure it will climb better than your ASX. (Simply due to the fact that its less travel and lighter if nothing else)
    As for resale, I don't know if many people who have bought one have resold it. (Due in no small part to the fact that people like them a lot). Transition is a small company, but I don't think that would affect the resale of it because it is a very good quality bike. You should be able to get (proportionally) the same amount out of a Preston as you would out of any of the "big name" brands. There may not be a huge number of people out there specifically looking for a used Preston, but I am sure there are people out there who would buy one if one came up for sale.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9,592
    Would anyone care to try and put together a lighter weight Preston FR in Trailbike mode build list for me?

    I'll start:

    17" Preston Frame with Romic and stock seatpost (unique size right?)
    Mavic 317s - front laced to specialized hub, Rear laced to a DT Swiss Onyx hub (run em with Stans?)
    90mm Thomson Elite Stem
    2003 Shimano XT Hollowtech cranks
    XT cassette - is there a lighter alternative at a similar pricepoint?
    Light Hydro disc brakes without breaking the bank (whatcha got for this category)
    Fox Vanilla 130 for a fork, or maybe a Talas (light, stiff and would give the bike a more trail bike ht angle of probably 70 degrees)
    XT front derailleur
    SRAM X-9 rear? good choice?
    SRAM Trigger shifters?
    Some Carbon bars perhaps?

    I welcome other ideas/input etc. on this sample build.

    Thanks.

    Mark

  15. #15
    Deadhead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    Would anyone care to try and put together a lighter weight Preston FR in Trailbike mode build list for me?

    I'll start:

    17" Preston Frame with Romic and stock seatpost (unique size right?)
    Mavic 317s - front laced to specialized hub, Rear laced to a DT Swiss Onyx hub (run em with Stans?)
    90mm Thomson Elite Stem
    2003 Shimano XT Hollowtech cranks
    XT cassette - is there a lighter alternative at a similar pricepoint?
    Light Hydro disc brakes without breaking the bank (whatcha got for this category)
    Fox Vanilla 130 for a fork, or maybe a Talas (light, stiff and would give the bike a more trail bike ht angle of probably 70 degrees)
    XT front derailleur
    SRAM X-9 rear? good choice?
    SRAM Trigger shifters?
    Some Carbon bars perhaps?

    I welcome other ideas/input etc. on this sample build.

    Thanks.

    Mark
    That all looks about right. The SRAM drivetrain is great. I have X9 on one bike and X7 on another and have had zero problems. I think the Vanilla would make a better match for the Romic than the Talas, and it's considerably cheaper too. The 317's would be the only thing I would change, but I weigh about 200lb. Other than that, you would have a pretty phat trailbike.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

  16. #16
    Reels & Wheels
    Reputation: dv8cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350

    Zocchi

    An even better trail bike fork match for the Romic would be the 2004 Marzocchi FR SL air. Plush, light as about the tALAS (4 LBS.) stronger & stiffer than both Vanilla & Talas, & has 5" travel as well as ETA to wind it down to 30mm for climbing. This fork will make the biggest dfference in getting the Preston to where you want it. Def go with some Tubeless with UST Mavics & maybe a Hope Bulb wheel build and you have DH strength with near XC lightness.

  17. #17
    Reels & Wheels
    Reputation: dv8cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350

    talk to dropnzone.com

    Quote Originally Posted by kbrooks
    I am interested in the Transition Preston for next year and would like to here some feedback from riders of this bike. I like to trail/freeride with a significant amount of climbing, and I do enjoy climbing. Right now I am on Yeti ASX and finf I cn not keep the front end down for my climbs and the bike is just too heavy for the steep stuff as well - although this is an awsome bike for everything else, even moderate climbs. I am most interested in how the Preston perfoms on the steep climbing, like when you have put your colon on the point of your seet and your lips on your stem (maybe not quite that steep, but you know what I mean). Pics of your Preston would be apreciated as well. Thank you in advance.
    Give Allen a call at dropnzone.com. He sells lots of Transitions & actually owns one himself (they are based in his home state). He also sells yeti so he will be able to give you a nice comparison.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41

    leverage

    i'm interested in the preston too. but the leverage ratio of the frame seems especially high. and both the reviews by nsmb and hickhucksters mention how easy it is to 'bottom' the shock by pressing on the saddle.

    is there something to be concerned about?

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59

    Leverage?

    Quote Originally Posted by cactus
    i'm interested in the preston too. but the leverage ratio of the frame seems especially high. and both the reviews by nsmb and hickhucksters mention how easy it is to 'bottom' the shock by pressing on the saddle.

    is there something to be concerned about?
    Cactus: I am not concerned with the "bottoming" concern in the 2 reviews as I will not be dropping this bike like what it is made for. I assume the leverage ratio is addressed by having the Romic correctly configured for your weight and riding style. The guys at Transition shoudbe able to configure the Romic for for you. I just placed an order for a new Preston with Don at www.boutiquebikes.com on Saturday. Can't wait to strap it on! Your best bet is to call transition and get their input on the leverage ratio issue, if it is even an issue at all. Good luck and post a reply of any findings on this. I will be very interested.

    Keith.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrooks
    Cactus: I am not concerned with the "bottoming" concern in the 2 reviews as I will not be dropping this bike like what it is made for. I assume the leverage ratio is addressed by having the Romic correctly configured for your weight and riding style. The guys at Transition shoudbe able to configure the Romic for for you. I just placed an order for a new Preston with Don at www.boutiquebikes.com on Saturday. Can't wait to strap it on! Your best bet is to call transition and get their input on the leverage ratio issue, if it is even an issue at all. Good luck and post a reply of any findings on this. I will be very interested.

    Keith.
    thanks for the reassurance keith,

    i'm also thinking of swapping the romic with a dhx instead. anyone tried this before? cos at where i am (singapore) fox is more common and i do not want to be in a situation where i cant find anyone to fix the romic should it be faulty. besides, it looks better with the black frame and not to mention a lil lighter.

    my intended set up would be a black preston with a pike/x9/bulb/x823/louise fr/atlas...

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus
    thanks for the reassurance keith,

    i'm also thinking of swapping the romic with a dhx instead. anyone tried this before? cos at where i am (singapore) fox is more common and i do not want to be in a situation where i cant find anyone to fix the romic should it be faulty. besides, it looks better with the black frame and not to mention a lil lighter.

    my intended set up would be a black preston with a pike/x9/bulb/x823/louise fr/atlas...
    Cactus: Romic is a very good shock, but if you want to save weight, then going with the DHX will save you nearly 200 grams. I hear good things about the DHX, so good choice. Hope you can get the right eye to eye and stroke. If you are buying direct from Transition and they are not willing to sell the frame without the Romic, you may want to call the guys at www.boutiquebikes.com as they are quite flexible and may sell you the bike with the rear shock you want and you may pay less! These guys are very flexible and want to do best for the customer. I would recomend contacting Brian or Don on this. They will also ship worldwide. As for the Preston - have you seen the new gold color? they just added the pictures of some new frame colors at their website: www.transitionbikes.com. Good luck and good choice on the bike.
    Keith.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    157
    DHX won't fit on the Preston unless the new batch of bikes is different from last years runs. Romic on Preston used to be 6.5 i to i and 1.5 stroke - DHX not made that small.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,623
    One thing worth considering is that we now offer the Swinger 4 Way shock as an option on the bikes...

    I've built mine up pretty light, probably about 32lbs, I weigh 210+ and it takes everything i can give it from XC to FR and DH, I run a Romic shock with Pikes.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition J
    One thing worth considering is that we now offer the Swinger 4 Way shock as an option on the bikes...

    I've built mine up pretty light, probably about 32lbs, I weigh 210+ and it takes everything i can give it from XC to FR and DH, I run a Romic shock with Pikes.
    Jamie - is that Manitou 4-way the air or the coil - heard a rumor that Manitou was going to start making the 4-way coil in a 6.5 by 1.5 - do you know? Also, got my Preston but still trying to get her built up - can't wait - the frame is very impressive looking - happy with my decision so far.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,623
    Quote Originally Posted by forester
    Jamie - is that Manitou 4-way the air or the coil - heard a rumor that Manitou was going to start making the 4-way coil in a 6.5 by 1.5 - do you know? Also, got my Preston but still trying to get her built up - can't wait - the frame is very impressive looking - happy with my decision so far.
    Hi

    I'm talking about the 4 way air, but in the coming weeks we'll also be offering the Metel RP coil too...

Similar Threads

  1. should I consider the Preston from Transition Bikes?
    By jacksonpt in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 07:36 PM
  2. Saber / Preston FR / DirtBag / Chaparral
    By PiroChu in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 04:33 AM
  3. Readers Digest version of Sexual Assault thread:
    By TrailRiddler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:05 PM
  4. Galfer Rotor feedback wanted...
    By Kam in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 09:34 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.