Titanium seatpost- Mtbr.com
    MTB SOCAL

Titanium seatpost

I was looking for a ti seatpost for my Seven Duo and was hoping to get some advice. I'm currently running a U.S.E. titanium Alien post on my Seven Sola. I was looking at several options for the Duo.

1. U.S.E. titanium Alien post
    2. MOOTS straight ti post
    3. MOOTS cinch ti post
    4. Eriksen ti seatpost

I know several people are using the Moots post, but have heard people have issues changing saddles. The new cinch post is supposed to be easier to use, but there aren't too many reviews yet. Anyone using the Eriksen post? I need a minimum of about 300mm legnth on the post.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Schipperkes are cool.
    Original Moots post is a MPITA
    New Moots Cinch post is hyper $$$$$ and still not that simple

Eriksen RULES; I have 3

Ummmm, why do you want a Ti post for your Duo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

MTB SOCAL
    I like the look of ti parts on the ti bike. I did have some concern about a ti post with the slack seat tube angle on the Duo. But, I've seen others run Moots posts without issue. I do like the way the Eriksen post looks. I may be picking up ti 29er frame soon and will probably go with the Eriksen for the post as well.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have you looked at DEAN also?

used to be uno-speedo....
    The Cinch is a breeze to use. I'm digging it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Forget the MOOTS, total piece of sh*t post.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    black sheep was making one, too, no?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Moots are horrible.....

.... they're soooo impossible to work with ....please send all these seatposts that infuriate you, that you can't figure out how to use because it's just IMPOSSIBLE to change saddles to me and I'll humanely dispose of them ....on my other bikes.

I'll agree that the old design wasn't the easiest to figure out but once you have (by using the search function here for example) it's really a p.o.p.

breathing helium
    I've got an Eriksen and a Black Sheep. Both are great and have been trouble free. They use similar designs where you clamp the seat rails from the side. I have not used a Moots, but I think the Cinch post is easier to install seats on than the older version, right?

In FTF We Trust
    I've got an old-style Moots post and an Eriksen post. The Moots isn't the torture that some make it out to be; there is a technique to changing saddles though. The Eriksen has the best clamp design I've ever seen, plus you can get decals and hardware to match all your King stuff, bonus points in my book. Hard to go wrong with either but the Eriksen has an edge if you're going to fiddle with it a lot.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

MTB SOCAL

Eriksen post

I just got the Eriksen ti seatpost today. It looks awesome. I actually liked it so much that I ordered another one for the new Vassago Optimus Ti frame I have on order. Sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

MTB SOCAL

Ti prep or grease?

Do you need to put ti prep between the ti seatpost and ti seat tube? I asked my local LBS guys and they don't seem to know. One shop recommended ti prep and the other recommended grease. So, I figure it best to ask the mtbr experts what you guys are using on your ti seatposts. Thanks.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    Do you need to put ti prep between the ti seatpost and ti seat tube? I asked my local LBS guys and they don't seem to know. One shop recommended ti prep and the other recommended grease. So, I figure it best to ask the mtbr experts what you guys are using on your ti seatposts. Thanks.

I got a Seven a couple of months ago and it came with a carbon sleeve in the seat tube. It essentially means there is no alum (in my case) to Ti contact there. My LBS and several other sources recommended no grease for the seatpost because of that carbon sleve.

You might want to check to see if you have the carbon sleeve as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yangpei:- Good to know you actually rode the thing! I was beginning to think you were just going to festoon that puppy and parade it in front of us to drool over! I second the notion that you don't have to worry about the ti prep - that dark black thing on the inside of your seat tube is a carbon sleeve - it's a great system for non creakiness.

Trancespotter:- After starting the post your Seven thread where's your bike? Show me the bike! You've now admitted to having it so don't be shy and post the luscious ti for us all to admire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    Trancespotter:- After starting the post your Seven thread where's your bike? Show me the bike! You've now admitted to having it so don't be shy and post the luscious ti for us all to admire.

I know... Truth be told, I've been so busy enjoying the ride that the bike is never clean enough to take pictures. The day I was picking the bike up from the dealer a few weeks ago, I forgot to bring my camera with me, and that was the day I was planning on taking the pics.

I'll be adding the bike to the other thread soon... I guess I just needed a good kick in the butt... Thanks!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1