Tire Size- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Size

mtbr member
    May 2005

Tire Size

Im running 2.35 front, 2.21 rear (for light pedalling) for my Evo, on my last ride i just feel this combo is unstable on deep ruts & really rough terrain. What size do you run guys? Thinking of putting 2.5 front , 2.35 rear. Thanks.

Compulsive Bike Builder
    That can be plenty of rubber for an Evo, depending on which ones...what tires are you using specifically?
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member
    I'm interested in this idea for my XCL... Was thinking keeping the 2.35 front but a 2.1 rear...

I also have the Maxxis and was thinking Kenda...

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I always run a bigger tire in the front than the rear, it is pretty common. I prefer the smaller casing and tall knobs in back, and a bigger casing and smaller knobs in front. I also like a squarer profile in back and a rounder profile in front. But those are just examples. Lots of guys like taller shoulder knobs all the way around, less rolling resistance, etc. The size of the tire alone tells you very little about it, esp since the size can measure the casing or the knobs, there is no convention for this. WTB has been trying to establish its 2 number tire sizing forever but it has never caught on.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    I prefer the smaller casing and tall knobs in back, and a bigger casing and smaller knobs in front.
    I'm kind of opposite.
    I'm running Panny Rampage 2.3, and when the front knobs are half way worn, I move that to the rear and the new tire goes up front.

mtbr member
    2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the front (DH Casing)
    2.35 Nevegal DTC on the back

Even with the 2.4 ardent being the DH version and carrying a 300g weight penalty over the mountain version it still weighs in at 1100g for a 2.4 DH tire. The ardent knobs are pretty far up on the sidewall which requires to ride pretty aggressive, when you do, you will be rewarded with traction that is insane. It likes to be run at lower PSI's 28psi or so...even the mountain versions. For a 2.4 it also about the size of my 2.35 neve, maybe a tad smaller. It also rolls extremely well due to the center knobs being raised alot, and ramped. My favorite part is that I start at higher elevations on the shuttle runs, the the rocks, quickly change from rock, mud, singletrack, singletrack thru grass, hardpack, loose, gravel, and this combo seems to handle it very good. It clears out mud very good as well, and doesnt pack up.

Not gonna say much about the 2.35 neve, potent and all around tire where you put it on the bike, and I find it hard to stray away from it. It climbs wet roots etc.....

Pic

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.4 Rubber Queen up front, and a 2.1 Velociraptor out back. I'll throw a 2.35 Nevegal on the rear and see if that's a better combo.

shred my gnar
    wtb dissent 2.3 (dh casing) in front and motoraptor 2.4 in back... sounds funky but the 2.3 dissent is actually wider (more square profile as well) than the motoraptor 2.4.

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.35 Kenda Excavators (Kevlar bead) on both front and rear on my Evo, and really like its performance. I'm mainly on fireroads with loose gravel and some sand, and on harder dirt on singletracks.

This combo was better than what I had previously with 2.35 front and 2.1 rear, both Kenda Nevegals.

mtbr member
    @ 698g, you will be hard pressed to find a lighter more durable and versatile tire than the 2.35 Nevagal DTC....if this tire isnt woking chances are your riding or tire pressure adjustment is off. Just my humble 2 cents. With this ardent I havent found anything that has held like this tire, but you have to get into the corner quick, and over....otherwise it gets washy a tad.

I swapped tubes last week, my air pump was off on pressure, bike was skidding out in the rear in the corner I "thought" I had set the pressure up correct, well it was high around 40, dumped it down to 31-32 and it hooked up hard the rest of the day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    On my Evo I usually run single ply Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.5 in front, 2.35 DTC rear
    Sometimes 2.5 Stick-E single ply front and rear
    Lift assisted 2.7 DH casing front, with the single ply 2.5 in the rear

You can see a little signs of rubbing with 2.5 on the chain stay yokes, but more or less it clears

Members who have read this thread: 0