Tire pressure on XCL???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire pressure on XCL???

What are you guys running your tire pressures at? I'm still dialing in my bike and I can't get the rear end as plush as I'd like. I'm thinking my tire pressure is a bit too high (30/35 w/Stick-e Nevegal 2.3's) and it could be ruining the ride.

As much as I love the handling and confidence the bike displays in techy sections I'm not happy with the harsh ride. Anyone try Pushing the Fox RP23 yet? I may try that before giving up but if it doesn't work I'll be new bike shopping i guess.

Thanks,

Kevin

I'm living the dream!
    I'm running tubeless with between 25 and 30 psi. Have you tried playing with the pressure in your shock? I have a DHX Air and though I don't feel like I ever fully got that shock dialed in, I wouldn't describe the ride as "harsh". I did, however, just send a Float R to PUSH with expectations of having a "set it and forget it" shock when it comes back. My appointment is June 16th so hopefully I'll have it back late next week. I'll post a review when I get some ride time on it.

mtbr member
    Yes, I'm running the rear at my weight (165lbs) less 10%. Even with just normal XC riding it looks like I'm getting almost max travel out of the shock. It's plush once it's in the middle of the stoke but for middle ring singletrack it just seems too harsh. I played with the rebound (6 clicks out) to try and get it to stay in the middle of the stroke but then it just packed up. I have another ride tomorrow evening so I'll mess with it a bit more and see what happens.

Does it take awhile for the RP23 to break in?. I'm thinking it could be an overly tight seal too.

Kevin

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    30/35?
    Is that your front to rear settings or your typical range?
    I find that with my Nevigals 2.3 stick-e's, 28-30 works best for me. I typically try to run 28 unless I'm doing some trails with some reasonable drops, then I'll push it up to 30. More than that and I find I start bouncing around.

I'm riding an EVO and I find that I tend to run less rebound in the rocky/rooty sections because the obsticals come at me rapidly in succession. If I don't, I find the rear tends to pack up and gets harsher through the repeated impacts. Just like my tire pressure, I'll add a few clicks of rebound damping on the trails with the drops to keep the bounce at bay. You may find that you would actually use less of your travel in the rock gardens with the faster rebound due to the fact that the suspension can get back to the begining of it's stroke instead of adding impact on top of impact through the pack-up untill there's no travel left.

I

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008
    Mototrep,

Are you using any propedal on the RP23? If I have it on at all the ride is too harsh. I also feel the RP23 is over dampened making it sluggish to respond. Try dialing the rebound all the way fast to see if it helps. I'm strongly considering sending mine to PUSH as well. I am running mine pretty soft 145-150 for my 185 pound weight to get the ride quality I want.

mtbr member
    Similar to Trails4Two, I run about 150 for my 185lb riding weight and I also turn off the propedal (I only use it on the road).

I'm living the dream!
    Forgot to mention in my post that I don't run any ProPedal in my DHX-A either. Don't need it.

mtbr member
    motorep, I'd say there is something wrong with your shock settings, or your shock in general. I find that if I have too much air in the tires, they may break traction earlier, but the ride doesn't seem overly harsh. I run Schwalbe Fat Alberts tubeless (2.3") front and rear at 28 to 30 pounds.
    The XCL is an incredibly plush bike. The only time I ever felt harshness was during a winter ride when I added too much pressure to the shock. I also only use the Propedal during road sections.

Not sure if the rp23 generally has a break in period, but I have noticed that my bike feels more responsive to the trail lately. I have about 800 or 900 miles on it.
    Good luck.

I'm on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    Similar to Trails4Two, I run about 150 for my 185lb riding weight and I also turn off the propedal (I only use it on the road).
    Same numbers for me. I did think the RP23 took a solid 10 hrs of trail riding to break in. 30 - 35 psi in my tires, everything feels just perfect for me with this setup.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

Tire Pressure vs. suspension

I actually feel that the tire pressure can make a huge difference in the "feel" of the supension. I started my tires at my old (with tubes) pressure and I could really feel a lot more small hits. As I reduced the pressure it smoothed out a great deal as the tires ate up the little stuff. Now I've gone too far since I can feel the rear tire rolling side to side on turns.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I did 11 miles tonight with 28 psi in the front and 30 psi rear. The bike did seem quite a bit plusher. Still not what I'd prefer but it was better. I'll play with the pressure a bit more when my new wheelset comes in and I switch to tubeless. On the plus side the bike was on rails tonight. It's a singletrack samuri!

No ProPedal usage. I race dirt bikes too so I believe in using all of my suspension. I tried using the ProPedal for climbing but got better traction with it off (as it should). Will probably never use it again unless I'm on pavement.

I'm about 16lbs under my body weight and you guys are almost 40lbs below? Wow, that's a bunch. I'll try that tomorrow on my ride with the wife.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Motorep, don't have a Chumba but a Motolite (similar design). Initially I found the RP23 to be a little harsh but after about 100 miles, it really smoothed out. Give the frame and the shock time and they will smooth out nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorep
    I'm about 16lbs under my body weight and you guys are almost 40lbs below? Wow, that's a bunch. I'll try that tomorrow on my ride with the wife.
    More importantly, how much sag are you running at the shock with the propedal off? I think the recommended amount is 30% of travel. I am a firm believer of bottoming out my shock at least once during a ride, but I tend to ride aggressively.

Is this thing on?
    I had the opportunity to ride my first XCL last week and was excited to see the differences between it and my 07 USA EVO. To stick w/ the topic at hand, I also felt the "harshness" of the ride and played with the setting to no end of the RP23. The frame and shock were brand new so I figured there would be some break in for the RP23 and by the end of the second day I had the rebound and propedal (basically off) where I liked them. What a difference once you get the shock set up correctly.
    I did come back with the conclusion that I will be purchasing a XCL, but putting the ever tunable 5.0 on it and a 36 Talas up front.
    [[/B][/FONT]

Long Live Long Rides
    May 2008

amount of sag

Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    More importantly, how much sag are you running at the shock with the propedal off? I think the recommended amount is 30% of travel. I am a firm believer of bottoming out my shock at least once during a ride, but I tend to ride aggressively.
    So I did a ride today and played around with pressures in the rear shock:

(I weigh about 190)
    145 lbs = 13 mm sag, or about 25%
    155lbs = 9mm sag
    165lbs = didn't measure, didn't want to, it felt bad.

I started at 145 and everything was quite smooth, when I went to 155 it was still pretty good but I did feel more. Interestingly though, it did feel smoother than my very first ride on the shock last week (also at 155), maybe I gained about 10 pounds myself.... It looks like I need to ride more often to get the shock all worked in, then check again.

If the recommended sag is really 30%, that's a bit more than I like. Even at 25% I felt the bike sank too far into it's travel on seated climbs. I will keep running it at about 145-150 until I have a reason to change.

mtbr member
    Rode again tonight but I didn't mess with the shock pressure. Checked the o-ring when I got back and it was at the end of the shock shaft so I'm getting max travel. Unless the RP-23 has a bottom out bumper going lower than 10% of my body weight seems pretty extreme. Seems like I'll be slamming through the travel on every g-out and mild jump at that pressure. I'll mess around with it tomorrow before my group ride though. We'll see if it improves the feel.

Kevin

mtbr member
    OK, I ran the shock at 135psi which is 30lbs less than my body weight last night. The ride was MUCH better! In fact, it's exactly what I was looking for. The bike was plush and supple on the trail. The handling was still perfect so there wasn't a difference there. I did have one instance of pedal strike but it was a bad rock garden so I'll have to see if it becomes an every ride issue.

I did blow the o-ring off the shock shaft so I used all of the available travel. However, I couldn't even tell you when or where it happened so the bottom out control is good. Bigger drops/jumps may feel different so it's just a matter of time before I know for sure.

Overall I'm still way impressed with the bike. The handling alone is almost worth putting up with a rough ride. If I can stay at this pressure and not have any negative drawbacks I'll be happy. However, I'm still thinking the ultimate solution is to have the shock Pushed. This way I can still keep the plushness but increase the shock pressure to a normal level.

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0