ti vs steel- Mtbr.com

Thread: ti vs steel

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

ti vs steel

looking at a new frame the new 953 steel looks good compared to ti, what do you guys think

mtbr member
    I asked a similar question a while back when deciding on the material for a custom build. Steel is stiffer, Ti more flexy. The air hardening properties of steel makes it a better material to use for the heavier guy (this swung it for me), plus some prefer the overall feel of steel, I know I certainly do. Both materials give a compliant ride if built right.

Any good builder can build the ride properties you require into your bike, whether the material you choose is ti or steel, however the greater availability of differing tubes specs in steel can be another good reason to go for it.

I'm sure whatever you choose you'll be happy!

Schipperkes are cool.
    What frame?

If the tubing is chosen correctly, the frame built around you and your riding style, a Ti frame can be a lot stiffer than a steel frame.
    If you want a frame to last for life and be riden hard, I'd go with Ti. I had a custom 853 frame fail at the welding of the downtube, it was replaced under warranty.
    Steel or Ti, any good framebuilder can replace tubing if need be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    strong frame, i think i'll be going with ti, i e mailed carl strong to day around noon to let him know i was interested in him building my frame, he call me back in an hour and we talked about the finer points of ti and steel. did not expect him respond that fast,bad ass customer sevice. i think this is the way it suposed to be, but not always case

mtbr member
    Hi chat to thylacine on this forum, he can also build a kickasrse bike in either steel or ti. Customer service is A1 and the quality of the finished product has to be seen/ridden to be believed.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=189449

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=220368

Members who have read this thread: 0