Thylacine bikes owners- Mtbr.com

Oct 2006

Thylacine bikes owners

i read this forum for very long time but this is my first post , i'm in a hunt for a new AM Ti frame, i looked at everything from seven, moots, if, and all the small ones as well, checked opinions of all the good peoples around here, all the wbsites i could find and got it down to Thylacine or Strong, both have very good and informative websites, and great looking bikes, the thing is that i can get much more information about Strong and not as much of Thylacine, i like their work and the bike look great.
    everybody like Strong and have only good things to say about him and his bikes.
    i like Thylacine bikes and like the philosophy behind it but need some help here from people that got their biks .
    how responsive Warwick is (mail and phone calls) , how fast with the design, with the build itself, is he a nice person to work withand enything alse that can be important to know.
    so everyone that already own on of his bikes or in the building / designing stage and want to share their experiance is wellcome.
    thank you all
    John

mtbr member
    Hi John

Try emailing Warwick and seeing how quick he responds, I've never had anything but great service from him, and I'm sure he will get you on the bike you want to be riding as Thylacine are VERY versatile!

He also advertises his Skype and AIM usernames on his sig, so he is one of the easiest guys to get a hold of!

Let us know how you get on...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just J- I just found the Thylacine website. Those frames are sick. I'm sure the price (with the exchange rate is sick too!) The Rohloff equipped bike is just incredible.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Actually the prices arnt that sick at all , my Thylacine Ti was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a Strong Ti and came with a quicker leadtime. My main reasons for going with Thylacine were that my emails were responded to very quickly and all my questions relating to measurements and geometry no matter how trivial were answered thoroughly. You realize just by chatting to Warwick over AIM that he is a knowledgable and honest guy.

The frame itself got held up at Spectrumpowderworks, where it went for finishing, and I ended up taking delivery a couple of weeks later than I was originally quoted. Such delays come with the territory when ordering a custom frame, yes it was annoying but as usual Warwicks communication was great and he made all the telephone calls and did all the butt kicking necessary to get the frame to me as quickly as possible.

The frame is a work of art, it has all the handling attributes that I specified, and I really like the slackened seating position, it really works a treat. All in all a truely well balanced gem of a frame and a great custom experience.
    Last edited by 20_bandh; 10-26-2006 at 03:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Just J- I just found the Thylacine website. Those frames are sick. I'm sure the price (with the exchange rate is sick too!) The Rohloff equipped bike is just incredible.
    The Rohloff equppied bike is pretty sweet!

Oct 2006
    thank you guys
    but what about some more here, there must be some other people with some info, do not hide.
    thank you again.
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You might try over on the Australia forum. Warwick occasionally posts there as Thylacine.

Another Aussie custom builder is Baum.

Here's mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oct 2006
    your bike looks great Slaw
    i like the look of the Rohloff on it looks clean just like a HT should !
    but can you share a little about it , good and bad compare to regular gear, durability, did you save whight cmpare to 3/9 setting, and whay in the first place you got that,
    you don't see to many of them so i'm sure a lot of us is intrested to hear some from someone that actualy use it.
    thank you
    John

mtbr member
    Well, I'm probably not as responsive as I should be as I've just noticed this thread!

But hey, cut me some slack......heaps of new frames on their way.....just bought a new house......been a bit busy.

So yeah, questions? Fire away!

No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Oct 2006
    Good to hear from the man himself,
    great bikes and good to know you busy its usualy a good sign.
    but how come its so hard to get some of your customers to stop riding for a minute and talk ??
    anyway if we at it already can you give me your con's and pro's on the speedhub.
    i love the clean look and wonder how it will work for a HT set as a trail XC bike, i was asking the same about the slider dropouts for a regular gear bike.
    i love your bikes they have some new school thing that work for me, well done.
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've only had the bike for a week, so I can't give you definitive answers. I got it second hand off ebay, but it's pretty close to what I've been lusting after in terms of a bike for backcountry touring and maintenance-free commuting. If I didn't get such a good price, I'm not sure that I would have gone custom. For Baum's frame price I could get a pretty good complete bike.

I've been after a Rohloff for a while now based on what folks have said about them here, mostly on the Drivetrain forum. You're best to ask over there as there are people such as Speedhub.nate that have heaps of experience with the Rohloffs.

Here's another Aussie builder. I haven't heard from anyone who owns one:

http://www.velosmith.com.au/juta.html

mtbr member
    The Rohloffs are pretty neat. Adam has had his Arete for Rohloff for about 6 months now and is very happy. Just got an e-mail from him today.

I think if you have a habit of ripping derailleurs off, can stomach the sticker shock, and don't mind the extra 400g over and above a derailleur setup, then go the Rohloff. I can't think of a good reason not to.

I think after doing a few of these, that the EBB might be a smidge better solution than the sliders for a Rohloff set-up. The sliders work fine, but I think the EBB has a slight edge simply because the Rohhloff is a big arse lever hanging off the sliders so my 'Internal Engineer' is telling me "bolt that sukka down" and I tend to agree. Of course, I do change my mind a lot so next week you might hear me say something different!

Now, why is it tough to get our owners to stop for a second and type something on the Internet?>>>>>>

May 2006
    Hey, whats going on, what'd I miss???
    Thylacine, yeah, I've heard of them.
    I hear they do really nice frames....

Hang on a minute I own one of these babies! And another one on the way in fact.

Click below to see some pics.

Yep, it's all true, Warwick is great to deal with and really knows his stuff.
    Communication is great, keeps you in loop every step of the way.
    Workmanship speaks for itself.
    Frame design/geo is fantastic, just ask anyone who has ridden one.
    Last edited by royale_; 11-02-2006 at 02:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's a brand new Arete SL Team with the new 'Team Scheme' paintjob.

Better pix when my wife brings back the damn digital!!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Man I love that paint job! It’s looking very hot indeed!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Man I love that paint job! Its looking very hot indeed!

Dave.
    The two colours are both lamborghini oranges. Thankfully, we'll get more than one bike out of a tin, because the prices are waaaaay out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Man I love that paint job! Its looking very hot indeed!

Dave.
    i second that!

May 2006
    Yep, that looks mad!

I want one.

mtbr member
    Woowww.

Is there a layer of clearcoat over the stickers??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20_bandh
    Woowww.

Is there a layer of clearcoat over the stickers??
    Not on this one. The decals are a bit too thick to do that adequately.

I can paint the decals on, but with this paint scheme the price would go through the roof.

The other problem is that the top orange is a three coat system, and the bottom orange is a two coat system.....and when you consider the top orange is applied OVER the lighter bottom orange......there's seven layers of paint!

Gawd, my painter would hate me if I asked him to paint the decals on!

You'd have to do the scheme with one part paints, which wouldn't be so bad as there's heaps of great colours that are one-shot.

---

As to decals under clear? Once I find one that will work for both powder and wet paint, isn't too opaque, and isn't too expensive to make or put on, I'll be all over it.

Until that time, it is the bane of the small underground custom frame company that vinyl is the go.

Well, it's not actually that bad. royale_ just re-scotchbrited his Arete Ti and put new decals on it and it looks brand new. That would be soooo much more difficult with any other system.

Category Winner
    Bringing up an old thread

I have been trying to get a hold of Warwick.
    [email protected] didn't work, and my lame attempts at AIM seemed to have failed. His PM box is full, and I am scratching my head.
    Does he have a telegraph or anything else I can use to get a hold of him?

I should add that I am just trying to contact him. I am not a current customer who is disgruntled because I can't reach my builder. I don't want this to turn into a "Is Matt Chester Alive" thread.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Bringing up an old thread

I have been trying to get a hold of Warwick.
    [email protected] didn't work, and my lame attempts at AIM seemed to have failed. His PM box is full, and I am scratching my head.
    Does he have a telegraph or anything else I can use to get a hold of him?

I should add that I am just trying to contact him. I am not a current customer who is disgruntled because I can't reach my builder. I don't want this to turn into a "Is Matt Chester Alive" thread.
    I spoke to Warwick this week and he has just moved into his new shop front and is waiting for his new internet service to be installed, so is offline at the moment.
    He should be back online this week. Or just give him a call on the phone.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by royale_
    I spoke to Warwick this week and he has just moved into his new shop front and is waiting for his new internet service to be installed, so is offline at the moment.
    He should be back online this week. Or just give him a call on the phone.
    A phone call? That's got to be like $8.57 a minute from the States.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be patient.
    If you're local and speak with him would you let him know I want to get in contact with him?
    Thanks.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    A phone call? That's got to be like $8.57 a minute from the States.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be patient.
    If you're local and speak with him would you let him know I want to get in contact with him?
    Thanks.
    I'm alive! I'm alive!

Maybe?

Okay, it will still be a few days before I have permanent net access, because living out here in the wild outback of Australia means it takes 10 times as long to get things done as it would if we lived in a 'normal' country.

We shall return to our regular intarwebby time-wasting schedule shortly......

Oct 2006

Warwick,

i remember some time back you told me that the EWR, sorry EBR,,, you building for poppy is going to be ready by January or February and poppy promise me to post some pics as soon he get it, i'm sitting here waiting and so far see or hear nothing at all ?
    this bike is not even for me but i can't wait to see it, i hope nothing is wrong with it and you still make it.
    or for some reason you finish it and you guys keep it as secret (not nice).
    it is winter here and cold and we need something to warms us up, so pleas can we see something
    so what the word ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldinjohn
    so what the word ?
    The word is that the timeframe has blown out somewhat because 1) I moved home, 2) Bought an unrenovated shopfront which needed, well, renovating, 3) Christmas and New Years when everything shuts down and people go on holidays, and 4) Poppy has a very challenging parts selection which sees us literally buying parts from 6 or 7 different countries!

So, appart from that, we're well on track!

Our aim is to have the tech drawings on the shop floor this week, and fear not, as soon as there are any pix, they'll be here.

In the interim, there's some new pix in the gallery today, and more on Monday.

Also, we have a brand new model we're about to launch as soon as it's done at the refinishers. All I can say at present is that if you're in the market for a lightweight hardtail, you should e-mail us for details. It's gunna be pretty special.

Oct 2006
    now you got my attention,
    what parts selection are we talking about ??
    this bike should be something out of this world can't wait to see it

thank you sir.

mtbr member
    now you got my attention,
    what parts selection are we talking about ??
    this bike should be something out of this world can't wait to see it

thank you sir.
    Well, it's now going to have these welded to the end of it....plus 29er Halo rims.....White Bros forks.......it'll be sweet.

Oct 2006
    What are these Warwick,
    they look like Paragon sliders but i did not see them before,
    sure look sweet

mtbr member
    What are these Warwick,
    they look like Paragon sliders but i did not see them before,
    sure look sweet
    Yep, they're Paragon sliders. You cope them as you would a set of Wright-style dropouts, so they're much better than the existing Ti Paragons that you have to use the fiddly Bullets on.

This design is not exactly the one I was campaigning for, but I can see why Mark opted to release this design instead.

It's great that we can use these now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Son of a *****

correct me if i'm wrong but they are the moots spec paragon sliders. how'd you get a set?
    Last edited by lanceh; 02-20-2007 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Son of a *****

correct me if i'm wrong but they are the moots spec paragon sliders. how'd you get a set?
    Well, it's a long story. Before the Moots, I was hounding Paragon to make a slider dropout with shrouds like the Breezer dropouts. It's easier to cope the stays this way, and the amount of fidding with the plate versions is a pain in the butt.

So I basically hounded them for a year or more, they said it would be too expensive, they're too busy, blah blah, and that if I wanted some, I should STFU and pay them to make some.

Unfortunately, I was a bit short of the seven grand needed to make 30 pairs.

So anyway, I get an e-mail from Mark on Monday saying that they're now available.

They're not the same as the design I was attempting to "persuade" them to do (Why the heck isn't the frame portion symmetrical?), but at least the Al sliders are new and sort of what I was suggesting. (They're not pocketed and they still have that low-rent tumble deburred finish, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.)

So yeah, they're now available to us. So I'm using them!

I wish they were available when we did your bike initially, Lance, but I still love the look of the bullets coz they've go a cool 50's Caddy feel to them.
    As a bonus you'll more than likely have the only Arete Ti with them, unless I specifically get asked for them.

Talk about exclusive!

For shits'n'giggles, this is the slider design I'd prefer -
    Last edited by Thylacine; 02-21-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Category Winner
    That's purty.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Hi Warwick,
    So are the new Paragon sliders available to all builders now? Or just you and Moots? Very nice regardless.
    Mike
    Mike Zanconato
    Web | Instagram | Facebook | Flickr

mtbr member
    Buggered if I know Zank. I suspect all the new Paragon stuff will be revealed at NAHBS. I guess I got second dibs simply so I would STFU and stop hassling them!

I'm hoping the 'New Sliders with Windows' resemble my design above, because I personally think the existing sliders could look 10 times better with just an extra few lines of G-Code, and as they stand they're a little low-rent for my tastes.

Now all I have to do is rob a bank or wait six months for the shroud slider in steel, although at 200 bucks a pop, maybe 6 months is a little optimistic. Can't exactly see a queue forming for those!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    Hi Warwick,
    So are the new Paragon sliders available to all builders now? Or just you and Moots? Very nice regardless.
    Mike
    Mike, I just spoke with Mark @ Paragon yesterday. They have 'em in stock now...now if they'd only get the 30.9 seat tube inserts ready to go...
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Thanks, smudge. I owe them a call anyway. I'm out of canti bosses. I hope they have the new slider hood in steel. I saw a few updates on their website, but only mention of the new hooded slider in ti.
    Mike Zanconato

mtbr member
    No, the shroud slider isn't available in steel yet.

Tell me, do you guys phone your orders through, or e-mail them? I just ordered a gazillion bucks worth of stuff from them a week ago, and zippo. Nothin'.

I'm sure there's a secret US bike industry handshake I'm not privvy to.

mtbr member
    nah, no handshake here. I must not be big enough. With some of my suppliers (mostly the one man shops), I will leave a phone message or send an email and the stuff shows up without any actual live correspondence. Have you tried an email or two and not gotten any response?
    Mike Zanconato

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    No, the shroud slider isn't available in steel yet.

Tell me, do you guys phone your orders through, or e-mail them? I just ordered a gazillion bucks worth of stuff from them a week ago, and zippo. Nothin'.

I'm sure there's a secret US bike industry handshake I'm not privvy to.
    I email Mark directly. They have some very helpful, but uninformed folks who answer the phones from time to time and it's hard to get my questions answered because they don't have a bike industry background.

I sent Mark an email today with an excel spreadsheet list of supplies that I need and a question or two. I got a response in a few hours with a promise of a stock level update to come shortly.

Is it possible you tried to get them while a lot of their staff is at NAHBS?

Sean

mtbr member
    Naw, I just think the love ended when I jokingly suggested I refine his product matrix for him. It's just a case of me having too many ideas and not the cash to develop them, and then when I find a company that does good work but doesn't quite make exactly what I'd like, I make too many suggestions and sometimes that can be annoying.

But hey, at least I know I do it so I can pull the reins in next time to get too excited!

I'll try giving them a call tomorrow and see what happened to my order.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Naw, I just think the love ended when I jokingly suggested I refine his product matrix for him. It's just a case of me having too many ideas and not the cash to develop them, and then when I find a company that does good work but doesn't quite make exactly what I'd like, I make too many suggestions and sometimes that can be annoying.

But hey, at least I know I do it so I can pull the reins in next time to get too excited!

I'll try giving them a call tomorrow and see what happened to my order.
    I think I spoke too soon. He replied with EBB shell availability within a few hours. Now that it's been a few days, I haven't heard a peep so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm heading across the country for a week or so and hope that I'll still have thousands of $$ worth of ti build parts on my doorstep when I return home.

Maybe I pissed him off by offering to revamp the website with pictures and more detailed descriptions?

mtbr member
    Ah groovy, all the Paragon stuff I ordered and had flung to the far reaches of the universe have arrived.

Goldinjohn, I'll have photos of poppy's EBR in the next 48hrs. Just finishing up the front triangle so I'll have pix when they're fit to show. Thanks for your interest and patience.

Also (as Smudge knows) we just rocked out some 1560g steel MTB frames (Thylacine Ether). Cross-posting madness is just a clicky away.

Oct 2006
    Great to see you gring this thread back to life warwick
    and great looking frames as well, why you are not posting a full side view of this frames,
    now warwick this is all great stuff for the racer types around here, all what i am not, and you know what i am waiting for "A Real Man Bike" (no offense) but >>

The Future Is Now

mtbr member
    I'm waiting until I've fully decalled them up and lovingly applied all the shiny bits before I do that.

Hey, I'm not a racer guy either, but you know how it is.

Bling is bling

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Ah groovy, all the Paragon stuff I ordered and had flung to the far reaches of the universe have arrived.

Goldinjohn, I'll have photos of poppy's EBR in the next 48hrs. Just finishing up the front triangle so I'll have pix when they're fit to show. Thanks for your interest and patience.

Also (as Smudge knows) we just rocked out some 1560g steel MTB frames (Thylacine Ether). Cross-posting madness is just a clicky away.
    Whew, got my stuff too. Now to get some work done.

By the way, those dropouts on the Ether are the hotness. Very nice looking.

May 2006
    Isn't the "mans" bike the Arete or Arete SL?

mtbr member
    Goldinjohn is keen for the EBR - perhaps a steel version if my spidey senses are right - but he's not convinced yet we're fo' real

Category Winner
    Goldinjohn is keen for the EBR -
    WTF is a EBR?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Well, it's a homage to the EWR of yore, except we don't have 'Woods' down here, we call it the 'Bush' (no relation). We're building one of these right now, except in Ti.

Oct 2006

This is what i'm talking about

I'm still here,
    24 down, Another 24 to go

mtbr member
    Man, I don't have 24 pix of this yet.

mtbr member
    But wait! There's more!

mtbr member
    Got my new frame all built up, damn is it nice to ride. Not steel-heavy either, at a rather disconcerting 1538gr for the frame and 9260gr for the complete build.

The frame, all ready and waiting to be built:

All built up. I quite like the black/grey/white colour scheme.

See how light it is? Another happy Thylacine owner .

mtbr member
    9.2kg?!?!?!

Holy crapsticles!

mtbr member
    Damn you Firefox and your stupid double postings! I only pressed the button once. *grumble*

May 2006
    9.2kg?!?!?!

Holy crapsticles!

Yeah.
    He laughed at me when I asked if it was under 10kg.
    Stick some maxxis 310's on and you'll be well below 9kg.

9.2kg. That just ridiculous for a steel bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    my parts selection is teh suck on the weight weenie factor. my Ti arete is slightly lighter than that but my complete bike is about a pound more

and it's a freaking single speed. huhuhu

mtbr member
    Yeah Lance, but your not a Weenie.

We cater for all types here....the Weenies.....the Ultra Weenies......the sensible (That's you).....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    oh, i'm a weenie alright. just not a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That's a mean animal! congratulations on the weight too!

you're so happy you forgot your shoes?!

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Warwick, do you happen to have any figures on a few frames that you might be willing to publish? (eg, Arete SL, Ti, Ether etc, in stated sizes and materials used?)
    I know they'd vary by maybe a few hundred grams based on the dimensions for the rider, but I'm curious to know what, say, an equivalent Steel, Alloy, Titanium and Scandium frame would come in at.
    (ie, how worried should we be if Some Guy decides he wants another frame... in Titanium or Scandium?

mtbr member
    I've given a rough indication of that on the website. At the end of each model I say how it differs from the next.

However, the Ether's weigh about the same as an Arete Ti in any given size - maybe 20-30g heavier - and the equivalent in the Arete Sc would be about 150g+ lighter.

Anyone wanna buy my Arete Sc, BTW?

mtbr member
    Mmmmm.....Titani-yum.

mtbr member
    This posting should be censored,this pic is just too frigging sick !

Captain Underpants
    Warwick, I find the artwork in the background of the last picture a bit disturbing. If it s a reflection of your mindset, then you must make one heck of a frame!!! (The frame in the foreground tells me that you of course, do)

mtbr member
    It's my wifes painting, not as sinister as it looks. Kinda I guess a "people vine" wrapping themselves around a tree, which is good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Hey, you can only have so many bike pictures in a bike studio!

Oct 2006
    this titanium jewel is magnificent.

The Ethers are very sexy in some twisted and sick way
    is this the same frame TeamDicky is getting ?

Members who have read this thread: 1